We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin move question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've seen this move in a number of routines, especially one by Derek Dingle. It is usually used in a coins across, the coin vanishes out of say the magician's left hand. The magi's right hand is held open flat, palm down over a spectator's open (palm up) hand. When the coin vanishes from the magi's left hand,the coin drops into the spectators open hand that has the magician's open right hand hovering above. Does this really fly? I just can't imagine a spectator not figuring out where the coin came from.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Gunna be a long argument, I'd guess, but basically:

Logically, yes, they will know where the coin came from.
Emotionally, they will not know where the coin came from and will be amazed instead.

It really falls down to how you present it and whether it is used as something to be figured out, or whether it is used as a moment of magic in a longer routine.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Depends On how Conventing The Placement of the coin in the left hand is! And If thay saw the left hand With nouthing in it! I say " The coin jumped out of my left hand up my sleeve across my body down my outher sleeve and into my right hand" Then I drop it into there hand! I think that makes it work! And I allways Use it in A 3 coins across Into A Spectators Hand! Ok So that's my 2 cents!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
FRANZIS
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of FRANZIS
Hi,

I think this kind of coins across is explained by G LATTA in the COINSEMINAR DVD.

He explained 2 routines.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
The only way to really know how YOUR spectators are going to react is to try it out on them.

So go have fun with this one!

C
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think when this is the first coin, you move by it so quickly that they don't really have time to give it all that much thought before the next coin goes. Basically, it's just part of the trick and it moves on to bigger "across" amazements that causes the specs not to even think about the 1st coin or even 2nd coin. Just go have fun with it and learn for yourself what works and don't. Enjoy the journey. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
They may know where it comes from but they shouldn't know how it got there.
If the flat hand bothers you then briefly close it, open it and release.

Latta has a nice routine in "CoinMagic". The first coin is a surprise. The hands never come close to each other and a second coin travels. Very nice!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
It's hard to say what they do and don't "buy" since the illusion isn't really that specific. The coin could be appearing in the space between your hands, it could be dropping down out of your sleeve, it could be falling through space even though your hand is there, or it could be dropping out of your (previously shown empty)hand.

Whatever was supposed to be happening, it is clear that, at least in Dingle's case, spectators were amazed when the coin appeared. You have to remember, though, that Dingle's handling went well beyond most others to prove that the hand was empty. In fact, he rubbed his hand against the spectator's and she would verify that she felt nothing in his hand.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1483 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
If, at the moment your right hand is coming on top of their hands, they don't suspect that a coin could be in there. And if they have all reasons to think all the coins are in your left hand, when they feel a coin dropping from your right hand to theirs, they'll react. Sometimes very strongly.
But it is your job to make sure the above two conditions are completely fulfilled.

As Daegs said, logically, they WILL be able to know that you put the coin previously in your right hand. But if the routine and the magic flow, they probably won't have the opportunity to think that much to rebuilt the "how" you could have done that without them knowing it.

My 2 cents as well.
Jonathan.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm putting my hand here for no good reason at all.
Feel my hand.
Feel it carefully.

How does it feel?

Oh look, a coin appeared.

Puzzled? Yeah, me too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 16:19, Jaz wrote:
...If the flat hand bothers you then briefly close it, open it and release....

I like this idea!

It shows the moment of magic when you close your hand and open it to show a coin has traveled into that hand.

Will
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just a thought:

if you do the top of head thing to drop the first coin, you could then use YOUR hand to cover their hand from there on. Smile

okay, maybe it's off the wall

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1077 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
...and a good smooth classic p*** allows you to wave the hand gracefully...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin move question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL