The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Prohibition (a penetration) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Effect: Prohibition Presented by: Charlie Justice
Medium: DVD Arena: close up, table side, bar
Ability level: all Cost: $24.95
Available: any shop, http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com, http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com

There are some effects in magic that inspire many versions to be released over the years. Often the presentations are good, often they are presented as puzzles rather than magic, sometimes they flat out just don’t cut it but the promos are good. Prohibition is a version of the ever present bottle cap into bottle, you know, impossible penetration of an object into a bottle, the cap just makes more sense than the coin that is often seen. There is a difference with this one…Prohibition is actually a magical presentation. Unlike some of the others I’ve seen it the journey not the destination that makes this one of the best thought out versions of a bottle presentation I’ve seen. I think this is because the fellow, Charlie Justice, who is presenting the routine and instruction is a pro (I’m assuming this because I don’t know him nor have I heard the name before). This isn’t a puzzle, it is magic and I’m a magician not a puzzle maker so this is my cup of tea.
Let’s look at the routine in a nutshell. You walk up to a person in a bar and take a glass bottle from them and the bottles cap. You ask the spec to put the cap into the bottle, they cannot unless you bend it, which you do. You remove the bent cap and hand it to them then seal the bottle with another cap. You then cause the cap in your hand to penetrate the bottle clearly, visually, and immediately hand them the bottle with the cap on top, the cap in the bottle, and they can build a shrine in your honor. Tada! Oh, you get a number of presentation ideas on this general theme. This is one I will do and one you will do and no fancy gimmicks to try to get out of the bottle w/out anyone spotting it (like in the Ammar version from his great book). This will take a little practice to get use to the rhythm and presentation but other than that it is w/in the reach of all.
The DVD is really well done. The sound is great and it is well lit (two of my favorite things to complain about) and it is well edited. I’ve no complaints at all about this production nor the routine. Charlie Justice is a very personable guy and does a great job in explaining every aspect of the routine. The format is he shows the routine, goes over the components, explains the routine, gives some really good presentational ideas, then you see him performing it for real folks. This is how it is suppose to be done gangsters.
If you perform in bars, restaurants, or ever go to a party where beer bottles are present you will want to get this routine. For you budding Blaines searching for impromptu magic here you go. It is a winner and I look forward to seeing what else Mr. Justice has to offer. Note: My not knowing who Charlie Justice is doesn’t reflect on him and I don’t mean it as an insult, I don’t know everyone in magic.

Steve V
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I just saw that Charlie Justice is a member of the Café. You know, I think I should actually check if the people are here before I review 'em should I do a bad one.
Steve V
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2006-11-09 14:57, Steve V wrote:
I just saw that Charlie Justice is a member of the Café. You know, I think I should actually check if the people are here before I review 'em should I do a bad one.
Steve V

LOL. I guess you lucked out this time Steve V.

Thanks for your thorough review. I really appreciate the kind comments and know you'll have as much fun with Prohibition as I do.

Thanks again, peace, charlie
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I want to point something out here. I read some comments about the cap being bent. First off the penetration is through the bottom of the bottle, not via the neck, so the fact it is a solid object is the amazing part. The top is sealed and the visual of the cap being in the hand then into the bottle and the hand clearly being empty at that same moment is amazing. There is even a version where you pull the cap out of the bottle, have a spec hold his thumb over the top, and you do the penetration. So if you are one of those who think "gee, of course it can get into the bottle it is smaller than the opening" are not thinking like a spectator and don't understand the effect.
Steve V
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out Steve V. Too much can be lost by not considering point of view that the spectator brings to the tables.

My 'solution' does not sacrifice anything in regards to the effect/routine proper. In fact, it gains tremendous ground in the areas of being impromptu, examinable, and (imho) the most visual penetration you can imagine. If you could really penetrate the bottom of a bottle with a cap it would look exactly like the Cap Trap effect in Prohibition. An imagined side by side comparison would look identical.

thanks again,
peace, charlie
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Ya know, I'd have to agree with you. While a magician will put two and two together the lay person likely will not. Every aspect is looked at from the specs view and that is what works.
Steve V
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I've just purchased a pre-order, how is it that some people already have a copy. Also, any release date set yet? thanks
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Fooksua, the people who have the Prohibition disk have evaluation or review copies. The final release disks will be available in 3-4 weeks depending on the replicator. Rest assured, Magic Café members will be the first to hear about the final release of Prohibition.

Prohibition is Coming!

Jeff Pierce

PS. only a few more weeks left for the Café Pre-order special on my website.
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

I performed Prohibition for Magic Friday(Thursday) today...

It rocked! 10/10!

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Can this be done with a plastic coke bottle ?
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-17 02:08, Blindside785 wrote:

no
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-17 20:55, Charlie Justice wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-11-17 02:08, Blindside785 wrote:

no

I've got to qualify my "no" after thinking about it.

If your question is: Can you borrow a plastic coke bottle or introduce your own and have it fully examined and then penetrate that bottle with its plastic cap? Then the answer is no.

You can however, after considerable prep work accomplish the cap trap effect with a plastic coke bottle and its cap but it's just not practical, dependable, examinable or as effective as sticking to Prohibition as it is designed.

peace, charlie
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
I am going to order mine from MJM Magic. This looks really cool.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Just a reminder that Café Members can still pre-order "Prohibition by Charlie Justice" at a discount, only from my website. This will last only another week or so, so jump on it now.

thanks

Jeff Pierce Magic
Available for order now:

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
No word on when they will be coming in?
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Paisa23,
we hope to have the disks in hand, barring any complications, within the next 2 weeks. Everything hinges on the replication house and where we are in the stamping rotation.

Prohibition is Coming!

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Probition / cap trap call thsi effect any thing you want.
I call it the best Impromptu coin to bottle ever,, that's right I said coin.
Charile's trick is not only limited to a bottle and cap.....i do it with normal drinking glasses including wine glasses...
some of my ideas have already been discisssed with charlie....
ASll I can say if you perform walk around or rersturant magic then Charlie Justice has provided you with an effect that is a must, and should be in everyones arsenal.
Probition could be the best trick of 2006

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Godfather...I'm humbled. Thank you for the very kind and gracious endorsement. Your 'extra' move at the end of the routine is a wonderful idea and I can't wait to share it. I also agree, again in my most humble opinion and that of many others, that if you work in a bar or restaurant you will perform Prohibition for every single table you approach. Heck, you'll even have fun practicing it over and over all by yourself in the mirror. I've been told, and again imho agree, that if you could penetrate a cap into a bottle via genuine magic and did so next to someone performing prohibition...they would look identical.

As for the coin in bottle variation. The Godfather is correct. With Prohibition you can penetrate a signed coin into a sealed bottle. In certain cases the bottle and coin can even be borrowed.

I did not include this variation on the DVD since Prohibition is my unique offer to the Cap In Bottle genre, but I do plan on releasing it soon. Those who will own Prohibition should be able to figure out the difference in substituting a coin for a cap as the method is the same with some very simple adjustments. For those who can't, just go to the contact link in the menus and email me, I'll be happy to share it with you as I've already gotten it all written up. The email listed on the DVD is for Prohibition owners only so no worries about verifying ownership.

In fact, the cap can be signed in the routine as it is taught but I found that signing a cap is just overkill given the impromptu nature of the effect. A signed coin however seems to make it stronger.

Go figure out Mr. Joe Layman...lol.

peace, charlie
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
So this bonus will go out with the Preorders?
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Paisa23,
We have not decided whether it will be a PDF attached to a email, or you will be able to just download it directly. We will work it out in the next couple od days.

Jeff Pierce Magic
Available for order now:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Prohibition (a penetration) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL