The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A tough question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I know this is a tough question but here goes...

I can only afford 1 more book and the choices are Hauntiques and Pentology? As a new comer to bizarre who owns Dunningers Encyclo and Vu Do Magic, which of these two is the better alternative and are there any other choices?
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Assuming you are coming from a conventional magic background, and as a new commer to bizarre, of the two, I would suggest Pentology. It will change the way you view magic. It's emphisis is on the magic, and it contains quite a bit. Hauntiques on the other hand, will change you. It works on a different level and leads you to changing reality.

Given the option to recommend a different book, based on your posts in other threads and your interests/experiences in magic, I think the book you would get the most from is Leslie Melvile's MAGICTALES. You might find it a better fit for you, and you would be able to apply the material to audiences of all ages. Tales of vampires, witches, pirates, lost treasure, ghosts, a whole host of fantastic magic and story telling, and it also contains the best essay on storytelling and magic written.

Tony
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Tony,
Thank you for a great response. The beautyof this site is the 2illingness to share open and honest reviews and reccomendations.

I shall try and hunt down Magictales and the other two shal remain on my wish list...

Cracking a new show, ie Bizare show, I now have a whole list of new props to buy. And she who must be obeyed, or Commander in Chief Home Fleet, only wants me to spend so much at any one time. Sigh... She is picky about things like grocercies...LOL
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-11-11 00:48, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Assuming you are coming from a conventional magic background, and as a new commer to bizarre, of the two, I would suggest Pentology. It will change the way you view magic. It's emphisis is on the magic, and it contains quite a bit. Hauntiques on the other hand, will change you. It works on a different level and leads you to changing reality.

What a great way to put it, Tony! That is really so.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Well done Tony.
You really do provide great quality and with great control!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Thank you guys, I try.
This was a hard one as I have the utmost respect for both Shane and Christian, and have corresponded with both many times over the past decade on the Shadow Digest. I hope that neither object to what I wrote.

What is real funny is that Vlad and I were discussing this issue last night. His view is that to learn bizarre, you should start with the Invocation. He has a very good point. I would have recommended that today, except I have been following the original posters posts in other forums and understand some of what he currently does.

Tony
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
As a slightly off topic add on, regarding She who Must be Obeyed, you probably already have the stuff you need, but I won;t tell in case you get an advance on your allowance!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Do not get me wrong folks... I do not beleive that purchasing every effect out there will make my show... I am well aware that the "Magic" is very much in the presentation. that is why a few well thought out book purchases along with a few great props, like the Higleys stuff, and I am off to the races.

I have already put a routine together that I have done many many times called a psychic imprint. It uses to other mainstream props and combines them in a stunning routine. A little "Twilight zone" music and you have a 10 minute routine that is dynamite.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Okay, after thinking on this for a couple of days I say you should definitely get Pentalogy. . . or Hauntiques. . . or MagicTales. I have all three. They are three of my five favorite books (Baba's and Eugene Burger's complete works, and Tarbell's and The Books of Wonder, and . . . make up the other two. Heh heh heh). Seriously all three are great and, I think, should all be on your "get soon" list. Just knowing a little bit about the stuff you already do, I'd say Pentalogy first, but don't wait too long to get the others.

Mark

PS Judging from your attire, my salty friend, bizarre magic is just right for you. And I mean that as a compliment.
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A tough question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL