The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Whatzit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
I've seen these more as "hunter humor" than in a show presentation, but I'm not sure of the correct name or names for them. Many of the names I thought I'd heard in reference to them are in reality ignorant at best and usually racist in intent, so if this thread generates some offense, please consider it in historical context and not as a target to demean a racial or cultural group.

The construct is done to resemble a human face that resembles the "leaf man" mask I've seen in the Toscano catalog and some landscaping stores. However, it is entirely covered with fur, sometimes with a beard and sometimes just a mean-looking face.

The actual physiolgy is the back end of a deer or another animal, often upside-down with the tail attached as a part of the chin or beard. Sometimes horns are attached, and sometimes not. The first one I saw was in a cool hidden roadside treasure simply called Joe's (a bar) in Ligonier, PA. The camp ranger who took us down to see the owner's trophy collection (the entire back of the bar and two floors!) laughed when we didn't immediately recognize it as a "deer *ss with a face sewn on" to it.

I'm sure that this has several names, and have even seen one online tagged as a "swamp ape." (There are some other terms conjugated with swamp that hit several cultural groups as well, but again, I intend not to offend.)

So, like Jackelope or Jenny Haniver, does this thing have any official name or names?

Chris

P.S.--If you can ever get to Joe's, it is just off the "Diamond" in the downtown/historic section of Ligonier. Joe jokes about leaving a quarter in the coffee can before you leave, but I wanted to drop a fiver and couldn't find the can! It is a free exhibit and has everything from squirrels to large exotic game like elephants. And being a local "mill bar," the drinks are cheap, too!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Wooly Boogers are everywhere...in bars and taxidermy shops and Truck Stops...no one takes them seriously any more than the Singing Bass is thought to be a real Fishing Trophy. Which brings up the Furry Trout. I occasionally get asked to do one...I respectfully decline...I mean there ARE limits you know!

even for me.

:)

Now a bar with an Elephant...that would be something to see! On the other hand I'll bet a lot of people see a lot of elephants in a lot of bars. Smile Colorful too!
Higley's Doug's Museum
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Thanks, Doug. Wooly Booger was the name that kept escaping me.

I can't see it as much more than humor along the lines of a Jackelope or Furry Trout. I've also seen a rabbit/chicken/deer thing that would only pass for purposes of humor as well.

Joe's Bar: even visited by S&A Co-Editor Kathleen Kotcher!
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/roger/Que......mit=Find

I'm still trying to find some photos of the place. Unfortunately, we were without cameras when we visited.

Chris
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Hey Handa...I know a guy that captures and taxidermies Wooly Boogers Smile I have a great looking one and people often ask if it's some type of ape, so don't think people can't be fooled. Let me know if you want his info.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Chris, did you know that Roadside America has a 'secret' page about me somewhere on the site. I remember seing it a long time ago...not much of a deal but neat to me. Smile

Joe's bar sounds like a great place to visit. I'd love it I'm sure. Alsa...the old hermit never gets out of California these days... but it's places like that that pull like a magnet...maybe someday...
Higley's Doug's Museum
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
[quote]On 2006-11-13 02:09, Doug Higley wrote:
Chris, did you know that Roadside America has a 'secret' page about me somewhere on the site. I remember seing it a long time ago...not much of a deal but neat to me. Smile

Yes! I found it some time ago during my "preliminary research" on Mers. It does take some digging to find, though. Nice piece with some great photos.

Chris
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
These people have one. I think they call it a werewolf? probably have to write them to find out.

http://www.marshsfreemuseum.com/pages/jake.html
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
309 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Doug: Your post about elephants made me think of years ago, my dad took me to Ollie's Big Game Bar and lounge out near North Platte NE. I was young enough I thought the Big Game meant Arcade. Silly me. Instead it is an entire lounge filled with taxidermied heads and full body animals..including the head of an Asian Elephant. Up over the bar is a 3 foot key, and being the rube I was at 10, I asked the bartender what the key was for.

"It's an elephant key."
"A what?"
"Yep, you sneak up behind an elephant and shove it up his a** to unlock his trunk."

Yep, I was had. Sucker, that's me
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Did you try it, to see if it worked?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
309 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
No, from the looks of the elephant, the necessary part was on the other side of the wall. Smile
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
I stopped by Joe's yesterday after doing a library show about a block away. I went straight to the back and revisited the display cases.

Joe has his awards right next to each corresponding mount, and most of the displays have an award next to them! Of particular interest to me were the lion (full body) the giraffe (head and neck), the warthog (head), the tiger with cub (full bodies both), the elephant (head hanging from the cathedral ceiling with four stools made out of its legs underneath), and the baboon (FIERCE looking and a whole body). Many, many more real mounts as well as a few gaffs and animals in humorous poses as well as some tribal artifacts and stuff of local interest. These are just the ones that I found to be more unique.

He does have a bald eagle as well. I'm guessing that the plaque affixed to the base gives the historical information/authorization to display as the writing was too small for me to read and you can't own and display one of those publicly for very long without drawing attention.

The Wooly Boogers are on the ground floor showcase and have some sculpting done in the front to make them look more bear-like. One head looks like it could have a cousin in the movie THE COUNTRY BEARS, or maybe one that works in a certain theme park in Orlando. They are definitely conversation-starters, especially in the way that they are displayed among the other animals.

The bowl-a-matic game was still down in the bar and functional, too. To me, these things are works of art in themselves, and it's good to see that kind of stuff, kept alive as well. Give me an old skee ball or bowling game over a PS3 any day!

Chris
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
In a small county historical museum in Wisconsin, I once spotted a stuffed pair of squirrels done up as a pair of boxers, complete with trunks and gloves, and mounted inside a tiny boxing ring. I wanted it very, very badly.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Whatzit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL