The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Agency --- What is the advice to young guys today? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Paul,

Thank you for joining us here on The Magic Café. We look forward to spending a wonderful week here with you.

Many of the younger magicians here on the Café are totally unfamiliar with working through agents and personal managers. Many, even with no experience, give them a bad picture.

When I entered the entertainment business nearly fifty years ago, a great personal manager and good booking agents are what got me started. In the 60s I owned a personal management and booking agency in New York and Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (At the time the bulk of successful recording industry was in the deep South.) I sold that business long ago but I still prefer working through booking agents.

I noticed that Richard De La Font Agency, Inc. lists as your agent. Would you please comment on how agency is used today for magicians and your thoughts on what young magicians should and shouldn't do in building a relationship with booking agencies?

Comments about your experiences with agents and agencies are also sought.

Thank you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Good topic Bob. First to address the young people here at the Café, there is a long road to travel before you get to the point of representation for business. For an Agency or Management Company to represent you, you must first be seasoned as a performer; you must have a viable consistent product for them to sell. The ONLY way to achieve this is by serious study, practice and experience.

I recommend to all young Magicians to read and study the "Basic" theory and principles of our Art. You must have a solid foundation on which to build. You MUST know Magic before you can make Magic. Practice, Practice, Practice and then DO, Do, Do...perform as much as you can for experience. The latest hot trick, the new flashy costume, the sexy assistant, another new promo tape or gaudy misleading brochure is NOT going to make Magic. YOU are going to make Magic and how can you do this if you do not know what Magic is?
Kozy in Hawai'i
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Kozak,

Thank you for making the point.

As an old agent/personal manager the most common problem I encountered with acts wanting representation was that they did not have an act! It matters!

Thank you for encouraging them to first have a product to sell. It comes long before gaining professional representation. Agents want consistancy. Product knowledge takes WORK! Your work is a great example!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
My experience has been that the best way to get experience is to "do". Perform as an amatuer first before you declare yourself as a pro. Perform everywhere and anywhere that you can.One of the best ways is to be of "service" for fun and for free, wherever you can and will not interfere with another who is trying to make a living.
Retirement homes, assisted living homes, small school shows, hospitals and other institutions...
When I got out of Rehab, I did all this, to get my chops back, and also to REALLY be of SERVICE to others, instead of feeding my ego on stage. For me as I now look back this was Truly a Magical Time in my career, starting all over again from scratch...
It was Magically Sacred.
Kozy in Hawai'i
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I can only second what Paul said. An agency works only with people that "worth the money". You need a track record and a solid back-ground, a certain style and something that makes you different - and sellable.
Cards never lie
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
I remember in the beginning of my career, Dennis Miller and I would drive for 8 hours for the possibilty of getting 10 minutes on stage at an open mike night, not getting it and driving it again the next week. I miss those days , they were fun.
I might also add that if you're not actually performing you should be performing in your mind. I do not mean delusional, FANTASY ****, I mean your actual material, the technique, the pacing, timing, inner and outward dialogue...this is most effective.
This is the way I practice befor I even pick up my props.
Kozy in Hawai'i
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Performing in your mind...That's a great point. Thanks. Your interview in MAGIC was very inspiring. Congratulations on surviving and continuing to entertain!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Paul,

Arizona must cause this thinking! The uncle that raised me owned Whispering Sands Ranch in Phoenix. He taught me that the secret to riding bareback broncs was "practicing riding them over and over in my mind". Then when I got on them all I had to do was repeat what felt natural. Surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Why not for magic too? Preparation is a confidence builder.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
"Confidence" is a confidence builder. Just "BE" in your thinking first and then you
"ARE" in your "ACTIONS"
Kozy in Hawai'i
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Paul and thanks for spending the week with us. Come again!

Bob
Bob Sanders

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Agency --- What is the advice to young guys today? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL