The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best needle through arm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what you thought was the best needle through arm to get, in my act for apparent pain control.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks indeed.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The one made by John Pomeroy was by far the best needle made. It's the model Harry Anderson used, or so I've been told. Unfortunately these haven't been made since John's death. Viking Magic supposedly bought the rights to the Pomeroy line but as far as I know have yet to produce any of it. But even if they did I doubt they'd match Pomeroy's quality or attention to detail.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Thank you Payne, I shall certainly have a hunt around for it!

Short of this, what would you say is the second best, that is available?

Many thanks again,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
In my experience, stay away from the dave powell version...

Certain parts of it are too small, and the needle is increibly flimsy -- very prone to breaking...
xxx
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
I made my own, as I didn't care about the blood. It was part of routine combining several effects. I used the needles sold as "carpet needles" which are VERY long needles.

I stopped performing this a few years ago when ritualistic body piercing became popular. It doesn't seem to be held in the same light anymore and is now often viewed as a side-show type effect ... not the presentation I originally wished (I presented it as part of a "healing" ritual").

Dave
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I have two scars from two very differnt instances -- which are in such an orientation that they look as though they came from the same event.

I used them to my advantage!

;-)
xxx
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I like it Icy! Need to find something sharp to 'accidentally' walk into now... Smile

May I ask which version you prefer? Still hunting for the ideal effect.

Many thanks,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I have used the Viking for several years now.

Great version!
xxx
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Sure, thank you! Anyone have a link for that?

Thanks again.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Hmmm...

can't seem to find one...

just a second...
xxx
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
When I purchased the dave powell version, it did not look like this...

http://www.powellmagic.com/Merchant2/mer......_Code=CS

This looks more like my viking magic needle.

I am wondering if I purchased a knock off...

hmmm...

Curious now.
xxx
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA - Portland, OR
137 Posts

Profile of Vanian
I'm just wondering everyone's opinions regarding this since we are on the subject of needle through arm...

I use to perform it ever since I first saw Harry Anderson perform it; but nowadays with "geek" performers and even more prevalent, piercing artists, that do actual real suspension acts, don't you think that the Needle Through Arm gag just doesn't have the same impact any more?

Our society has changed so much over these past 10 to 20 years that, I feel, if I were to perform Needle Through Arm for my crowd they would think "big deal, we hang our bodies from large gauge fish hooks every weekend!"

http://www.suspension.org/

Just wondering if you guys are still successful in getting a reaction from this Needle Through Arm effect...
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Genshi:

See my post a little further up. This is the reason I no longer perform the needle through arm. I don't feel it gets the same response it used to. I've seen the REAL thing done live several times and it is way cooler. Also, the spike through tongue effect is not very effect anymore. With all of the toungue piercings these days, it's not so much of a big deal.

Anyone else encounter effects which no longer have much of an impact?

Dave
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I work a lot right alongside suspension groups, as well as have them work directly in my shows- some of the girls in my stage shows have been turned into human marionettes by piercings in their wrists and knees. I even did one act where most of the action took place underneath a girl suspended horizontally face down over our heads.
You just need to adjust your presentation.
I don't do needle through arm.
I do sharkhooks on cables into my biceps.
Then do a lift with them.
Then they pull out forcibly.
Then there is blood and screaming.
Then there is me smiling happily.
It gets reactions.

And I do spike through tongue, but as a comedic blowoff- Piercing a rubber tongue, and then pulling it out on the skewer. Strangely enough, I get no reaction from the piercing itself, but people freak when I pull out the tongue on the skewer. I do it for my more "Family" oriented shows. They are easy to freak out, and it is more than enough for them.
I save the tear out bicep piercing for the more jaded rock concert crowds.

Gwyd
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
That is a very intense performance...

WOW!

I would love to see your show GWYD. You have any clips online?
xxx
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA - Portland, OR
137 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:31, StrangeMagick wrote:
Genshi:

See my post a little further up. This is the reason I no longer perform the needle through arm. I don't feel it gets the same response it used to. I've seen the REAL thing done live several times and it is way cooler. Also, the spike through tongue effect is not very effect anymore. With all of the toungue piercings these days, it's not so much of a big deal.

Anyone else encounter effects which no longer have much of an impact?

Dave

Oops, sorry, don't know how I missed your post. But yes, this confirms for me that Needle Through Arm is just a bit dated now...
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I have this from Viking, I really happy with the quality.
But if I am not wrong, there is no stock reccently.

Cheers,
CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hi Icy Rabbit!
I have all sorts of clips up, but none of the hook in the arm effect. Go to my myspace page (In my signiture-the Gwyd One, Knotty Bits is the sideshow stuff) and you can check out the current promo video for the Devil Dolls (The group I do the shock/gore shows with)
I think there is a video up of one of our halloween performances on Youtube as well. Not as polished an act as I would have liked, but still interesting.
Gwyd
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1342 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
There are still ways to play it, I think. Derren Brown did a great stunt when he "hypnotized" a celebrity while the guy sang Three Blind Mice to himself, and put a couple of the needles in the celebrity's arm. It's on YouTube somewhere. The guy was pretty freaked, and I thought it was a brilliant twist...

Seth
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I do mine ungaffed. If you claim to be a master of matter outside your body, then yah better be able to control a little pain inside your body!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best needle through arm (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL