The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Really Ridiculous Rules!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Old thread back up for discussion. My belief is that you can have all of the fun and controlled mayhem that you like but some principals/teachers would prefer to have their students calmed somewhat before they take them back to the classroom. I say this because as a classroom teacher I hear the comments from my colleagues as they walk their students back to the class and sometimes even later in the staffroom. I think doing this recognizes what they need to be able to do and so I specifically tell the audience that my last trick is going to be something quiet. If I hope to get rebooked I need to please as many of the students/staff that I possibly can. I think that this approach gives you the best of both. In some cases sending several hundred riled up students back into the confined space of the hallways could even pose a safety hazard. Also, some teachers would perceive a lack of control in your show and feel that it wasn't something that was professional or educationally sound. Teachers already see students sometimes bouncing off the walls without a magician coming in and adding to the mayhem.

I don't think that calming the students before sending them back in any way takes away from the fun they had at the show. I would hope that they wouldn't forget the fun had they had so quickly. In my program I like to have a variety of responses to my magic including: laughter, applause, disbelief and even some sadness. I also believe that in an educational setting that you would want some sense of decorum so that your show doesn't just look like a "noisefest" birthday party style show because you've included 7 pieces with look don't see.

Whether you agree or disagree I would appreciate it if you would respond politely. Remember, its okay to disagree without getting grumpy! Smile

jeff
Harry Stanley
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Harry Stanley
"Whether you agree or disagree I would appreciate it if you would respond politely. Remember, its okay to disagree without getting grumpy!"

I disagree with you 100% Jeff, but I am never grumpy! 'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!! Happy Christmas!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 17:22, Harry Stanley wrote:
"Whether you agree or disagree I would appreciate it if you would respond politely. Remember, its okay to disagree without getting grumpy!"

I disagree with you 100% Jeff, but I am never grumpy! 'Tis the season to be JOLLY!!! Happy Christmas!

Harry,

Can you elaborate on one or more of the points you disagree with and share your thinking?

jeff
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Looking at this thread after all these years is rather interesting! Smile JR
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1594 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Rules are made to be broken. Whether by the magician or the children.
The only rules I apply to the kid to respect my space and that they can't enter until I invite them in. Other from that everything goes, as long as we are all having fun.
I'm hired to entertain the children not to hand out rules. With experience=, you will know how to control the riot.
BTW Roger --great to see you posting again.
Tricky Ricky
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
977 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
It's even more interesting to see JR here. Do you have something to sell JR? Smile Smile Smile Smile
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Yes...it's great to be back, and see some of the old familiar faces!!! Smile JR
randysburtis
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of randysburtis
Yes. Welcome back JR. I would say other than a few ground rules it is about entertainment and if you are doing that rules aren't needed therefore not needed to be broken.

I tell kids to stay seated so everyone can see and that they MUST have fun. Those are my rules
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
58 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
I probably woulden't do any gambling demos or bizarrist routines where you sell your soul to satan for kids shows.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2019, diamondjack wrote:
I probably woulden't do any gambling demos or bizarrist routines where you sell your soul to satan for kids shows.

Unless the customer specifically asks. (Don't laugh, I've had few strange requests in the past!)
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2114 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well, going over the ones listed in your original post:

Never end a show with a vanish---Rubbish, I personally end with a production, but I know many who use a vanish as their finale.

Snakes into the audience---As long as youre OK with the fact that some might get mangled / stepped on/ fought over and streeeeeetched out!

Live animal---That WILL get you more bookings to be sure, but it doesn't mean you must have one!

Name joke---Balderdash, there's maybe a 1/1000 chance that it will backfire, and so far for me, it never has

Must be adults present---This one's tricky. As far as memory serves, I've never once done a kids show where there wasn't at least one adult (besides me) present. So it's kind of redundant as it never seems to arise.

No card/rope tricks---Poppycock, if you need proof, just do a youtube search of various kidshows.

No linking rings---Blasphemy!! I use this in my kidshow and it kills every time!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2019, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Well, going over the ones listed in your original post:

Never end a show with a vanish---Rubbish, I personally end with a production, but I know many who use a vanish as their finale.

Snakes into the audience---As long as youre OK with the fact that some might get mangled / stepped on/ fought over and streeeeeetched out!

Live animal---That WILL get you more bookings to be sure, but it doesn't mean you must have one!

Name joke---Balderdash, there's maybe a 1/1000 chance that it will backfire, and so far for me, it never has

Must be adults present---This one's tricky. As far as memory serves, I've never once done a kids show where there wasn't at least one adult (besides me) present. So it's kind of redundant as it never seems to arise.

No card/rope tricks---Poppycock, if you need proof, just do a youtube search of various kidshows.

No linking rings---Blasphemy!! I use this in my kidshow and it kills every time!

Excellent response!!! I agree. JR
Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
838 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Some of these rules are really just personal planning that becomes habit, due to the peculiar peccadilloes that performers
choose to make permanent in their acts. One thing I was suprised at though, is that among some of these "rules" you will find some gems.
For example, kids need to know they have permission to yell etc at a certain time. If not they tend to be reserved and don't think they are free to do so. So there is some wisdom among all these habits that people pass on.

One area I do not follow too much is accepting old tricks just because they are old. Like the transposing metal bunnies. I don't think kids give a rats a s about these over painted metal fekes. I think we can do better to make magic more natural and humorous as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Really Ridiculous Rules!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL