The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box - worthy or not (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I have one manuscript that claims the Okito box can be as strong as the cups and balls if handled well, yet others on this forum consider it a substitute for coin sleights.

I have not got a routine going that I like, it's easier for me just to put the coin through my hand without the box.

What do you all think?

I think one clue is that I've never heard of an "Okito Box Museum."
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
David Roth did miracles with the Okito box. It just hasn't been around as long as the cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Addtionally, there are some very difficult sleights required in some Okito Box routines. It just depends on the routine you are doing.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's just a prop. You have to be strong.

As to whether anyone cares about you and your three balls you keep taking out and putting into your pockets or the coins you keep putting into a box which, like the cups, is pretty much iconic/ceremonial... that all depends upon how you bring the magic to your audience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4980 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In the right hands the Okito box is a miracle maker.

Quote:
On 2006-11-15 12:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
David Roth did miracles with the Okito box. It just hasn't been around as long as the cups and balls.

Check out: ULTIMATE COIN MAGIC by David Roth, Vol 2:
http://www.mymagic.com/dvd/dvd-roth.htm

Magic with the Okito Coin Box
History of the Okito Coin Box, The Standard Turnover, David Roth's Variation, Louis Tannen Turnover, Two-Handed Turnover, Roth's Method, Table Turnover, One-Handed Turnover, Frank Thompson Turnover, Steal #1, Final Turnover, Standard Method, Method #2, Empty Box Turnover, Steal with More Coins, Roth's Final Turnover, The Roth Moves, Click Pass Move, Click Pass #2, Click Pass #3, Stealing a Copper Coin, Bold Steal, Variation of Bold Steal, Edge Grip Steal, Rim Steal, 4-Coin Steal, Slanted Variation, Scoop Stack Rim Steal Switch, Scoop Stack Variation, More Roth Moves, Friction Steal, Lid Load, Picking Up Lid, Coin Underneath, Sleight-of-Hand Steal, Classic Palm, Finger Palm, Edge Palm Steal, The Boston Box, Rim Steal with Boston Box, Producing Coins with, Boston Box, Shuttle Pass Box Switches, David Roth Box Switch, Spellbound Box Switch, Bobo Box Switch
The Slot Box
Out With Four-Four coins are magically extracted from a brass box one at a time.
Out With Five-Four coins pass out of and back into the box invisibly.
Okito Copper Silver-The classic transposition as silver and copper coins magically change places even when placed into a metal box.
Okito Triple Change-Coins change places before changing into completely different coins altogether!
Okito Box Through Hand-Four coins are placed into a brass box which is balanced on the back of the performer's hand. The coins penetrate both the box and the hand. The effect is repeated. Finally, the coins remain on the performer's hand and the box visibly penetrates!
German Box & Cups-Combine coin boxes and paper cups and you get this very visual and amazing vanish and reappearance of four half-dollars.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-15 13:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
It's just a prop. You have to be strong.

Yes, Jonathan. I believe the weakness in my Okito handling (incidentally in my Linking Rings) comes from a minimal, rote-memorization of a few moves, rather than a real mastery.

It looks like there will be a lot of David Roth in my future, as I intend to expand my coin work in several ways.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

If you can get to NYC to meet the guy, see about getting a lesson.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
If your goal is coins, study everything that David Roth has put out. He is THE MAN when it comes to coin work.

If you can get a lesson from him, all the better. I met him about 12 years ago and he was (and I'm sure still is) a wonderful person. Very easy to talk to and willing to discuss coins all day long!

As with anything else...practice, practice practice.

Mark. Smile
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
David Roths "Out with Five" is a very strong effect..

The handling is something that needs to be acquired just like anything else..
It is well worth the time I put in to the effect...

Check it out.

All the best.
Shawn
Shawn.
Esoterist
View Profile
New user
Richmond,Va.
16 Posts

Profile of Esoterist
One of the finest exponents of the "Okito Box" is Mike Gallo.
Over the years I have been fortunate to witness several miracles
using the Okito Box and hopefully some of them will see print in
the book on Mike's magic being written by Paul Cummins.

Woody
Woody Landers
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Just to second Woody's comments on Mike Gallo. Some of his material is also on the DVDs that were just released as well as some of Mike's earlier tapes. If you study David Roth and Mike Gallo you can't go wrong. Although I would hasten to add that David Neighbors also has some excellent material.

Bill
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1277 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
What about original Okito material? I don't hear it mentioned or recommended around here... is it in print?
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Apples and oranges.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Yes the original Okito routine was published.

Though it was not quite on the path that Milt Kort then David Roth blazed.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

I have the Mohommed Bey routine. I worked on it at an earlier stage in my career, when I didn't realize that all sleights might feel awkward at first, not just the ones that weren't right for me. So now I've thought I might want to put some time into developing my work with the box.

However, some of Bey's stuff requires a box with the lid and bottom pierced, and I don't want to use that box at first...I have a matching Boston I like to be able to switch in for my other box. But maybe I should get good with one box first!
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
Okito box can do miracles, however it's not an ordinary object. If you feel comfortable with this, there’re lots of good tricks waiting for you!
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Let's not forget Marlo's SOC in Coining Magic and Simon Aronson's S-O-C-Thru in the book "Sessions" and I think also on some DVD of Simon's (or that he appears on).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3459 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Dean

It's good to get a box that "feels good" in your hands as regards weight and the fit of the lid. In addition to working with someone else's routine, just leave the box and coin(s) sitting in an area you frequent--on top of a dresser or near the T.V. etc.

Every now and then you'll pick it up and begin "inventing" moves for yourself. Don't be self-conscious about the box itself. Consider working with a slot box after you've worked with a standard box for awhile. I'd suggest staying away from more elaborate gimmicked boxes with special coins until you're comfortable with the basic equipment.

Have FUN!

Julie
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4980 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you use sleeving or a topit you can also vanish the Okito Box itself, its pretty easy due to the heavy metal box. In the mid 80s I saw a magician do a routine with an Okito Box: he ended the routine with producing salt from the box.

Several different Okito Boxes

Okito Coin Box Routines, Bey
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I always get the two mixed up, which is the one that has that lip or recess for a coin? Okito or Boston?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box - worthy or not (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL