The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box - worthy or not (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Boston Box shows as full of coins when turned over.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2006-11-16 07:46, Joey Stalin wrote:
I always get the two mixed up, which is the one that has that lip or recess for a coin? Okito or Boston?

that's a slot box if I'm understanding what your asking properly
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The slot box allows you to dump out all but one if you so choose.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
What's the "Buddha" Box? I thought I read about one before.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
The buddha box is just a brand name. it has a rounded profile instead of just a straight flat exterior.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
I third, forth, or fifth Mike Gallo's work. And I'd have to sell all my coin boxes if I didn't mention Woody, from the post above. Woody's one of the best Okito Box workers out there. He makes miracles happen with any, and all, of the variations out there.

Steve
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
The rounded profile of buddha box makes the move easier.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea there is some killer stuff with it! But as has been said before, It's you that Make's The magic not the prop!!! And also I have A book out on it called "Professional coin box magic!"
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4986 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Wow: check this out: Okito Bronze - Todd Lassen:

http://www.toddlassen.com/okito_bronze.htm
(wonderful/gorgeous look)
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
The Buddha Box (magnetic one) comes shipped with a routine by David Neighbors. He would have told you, but he's humble to tell you himself. Smile

I realize Roth was mentioned, but along the lines of Okito work, buy Expert Coin Magic by Roth and learn Out with Four...there are also productions that will lead you into the routine. You need a solid foundation and like the intro (by Vernon) of the book says, I too, only wish I had a book of this caliber when I started coin magic. (Not that you're a beginner, the book is just that good.)

The only think lacking (as with all sleight of hand texts just about) is presentation plots and justification for odd manuevers, but this makes you think! The magic becomes yours so much better than learning from a DVD...you develop your OWN touch and style because you CAN'T physically see the move and must resort to mental imaging...just buy the book, it's excellent.

PS. How are you Woody L.?
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
816 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On 2006-11-16 18:44, Magicpitch wrote:
I third, forth, or fifth Mike Gallo's work. And I'd have to sell all my coin boxes if I didn't mention Woody, from the post above. Woody's one of the best Okito Box workers out there. He makes miracles happen with any, and all, of the variations out there.

Steve

Love the coin box and I also have a video on my web site as well as teach the variations of the coin routines associated with the different coin boxes as well.
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Just to put my two cents in, I am studying David Roth's video on the Okito box right now and it is fantastic. What I love about Roth is how he can make all his moves look so smooth and natural as if there is no effort at all on his part. If you can get to that level I think you can do just about anything.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of caubeck
Same here, I just started on his Okito video.

I'm using the Kueppers design in aluminium. I have one in brass, by Tango, and it's also very good. If I could do the same as Roth in front of my pupils during a class I'd be very happy.

I've just achieved my first day of successful CP-ing, which should come in handy with the Okito. But man, David Roth could CP the space shuttle with those hands.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
If there is anyone who has the CP down its Mr. David Roth, that is for sure. He must have practiced that in his sleep with his hands tied behind his back or something like that.....
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 11:44, impossible man wrote:
I have one manuscript that claims the Okito box can be as strong as the cups and balls if handled well

The Jo-Pro box and Thompson coin together are the things dreams are made of. To this,add a boston bottom and use the single lid. You could leave the thompson coin out till later on though.

Yes, it can be stronger than C&B if you put the work in, or at least as strong as the chop cup which is what the Jo-Pro is. A chop cup for coins. The routine that is with it is fine, but one would be a fool to stop with that and not make his own with so many different options and workings in just a couple of things.

If you can FP and CP a single coin, with the set you have the makings for quite a series of illusions. Replace the card with a good one from the magic warehouse. I corner short just a tiny bit on one corner, and it comes right out of the pack I normaly use, and becomes a key card for a multitude of card effects.

Oh yeah. It will work like a regular okito box too.

I think David, or Curtis was working up a routine to publish.

If you own an M5 you have a flip or moving half dollar under a glass and a haunted pack (salt added) right in with your other stuff.

Over time, I have replaced everything I used to own, with things that work together.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I love coin box magic. I have been using the Buddha Boxes, because I like their looks and they are weighted nicely for the basic moves. I currently have the Okito and Boston boxes, and was planning to add the slot box, but now I'm considering going to the Roth set, mainly because the Roth boxes are slightly larger to accept expanded shells. Has anyone here used the Roth set? How do you like them?
By the way, Milt Kort's famous "O-KORTO" box routine in Bobo is worth a look from anyone interested in coin box magic.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
David Roth is the master with the Okito box.
The Okito box is a good prop and it (like most coin work) suffers from
low visibility. My opinion only and remember I said most coin work not all.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Mr. DStachowiak are the Buddha Boxes the ones with the sort of rounded or bulging outside edges? If so, I would like to ask you about the handling of them. If they are the ones I am thinking of I like their looks too, but I was a bit concerned with the fact that they may be difficult to handle, because of their design. Just curious.....
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Hi Fingers,
Yes, those are the ones. Here's a picture for anyone that isn't familiar with them: http://www.tirofoginc.com/Buddha%20Boston%20Box.JPG
Mine are brass, but they are also made in stainless steel.
I find them very easy to handle, being specifically weighted to make the secret moves work easily.
I like them a lot, I just wish they could accept expanded shells.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks DStachowiak for the info., I was just curious of the handling. I love my Okito box and it has plenty of room for an expanded shell. I don't use expanded shells though, I use an unexpanded shell, so I guess that would work with the Buddha Boxes. I like the one in the picture, the brass has a nice look to it.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box - worthy or not (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL