The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Structuring an Act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Hi Koz,

Great to have you here!

I was wondering how you go about structuring an act in terms of setting the tone, offering levels of interest and pace, and closing the show memorably.

I'm specifically thinking about the two Dallas shows on your performance DVD. You started with a high-energy manipulation sequence and ended (I think) by vanishing your assistant, followed by another manipulation sequence. Is there a formula you follow in terms of beats within the act, or is it an internal process where you just know what will work?

Curt
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Hey Curt, you know to be honest I never really had an "Act". I never wanted one!
In observing other Magicians in the beginning of my career and seeing that when you had an act, you were pretty much stuck doing it for the rest of your life. And if you decided to change your act it was pretty hard for people to accept the new stuff.
I began my career in the world of Magic but spent most of my time in the Stand up Comedy world. In that world comics are always creating new material...EVERY ****ING DAY.. so I fell into that process with my Comedy and Magic. Now I had a few "Signature" routines, but for the most part I was flipping material.And when your doing it eveyday it gets sharp real fast. The video that you see on the DVD I released is just a snapshot in time of what I was doing then. I am of the belief that YOU ARE THE SHOW! YOU ARE THE MAGIC! The tricks, jokes, music costuming, everything else is secondary.In my Mind "I Convince" myself that I could just stand there and do "nothing" and it would be entertaining.
As far as routining and structure of course you need a beginning, middle, and KICK ASS ending...I direct you to Henning Nelms, Fitzkee, Devant, Tamariz, Ascanio, S.H. Sharpe, Neale & Burger. Plus I would investigate Basic Theatre Theory.
Kozy in Hawai'i
B.K.Pal
View Profile
New user
India
74 Posts

Profile of B.K.Pal
I welcome our honourable guest. The phrase BASIC THEATRE THEORY has caught my attention. Kindly throw more light on the topic.
Best regards.
Sincerely Yours,....PAL
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Thank you for the welcome all the way from India the land of Sorcar. In theatre theory you learn basic information concerning act structure, timing, building and releasing tension, stagecraft, the language and lingo of theatre. there are many books on this topic, I suggest entry level college.
Kozy in Hawai'i
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Hi Koz,

I'm a beginning magician and I am glad that this thread was posted. I am
at a stage where I am scripting my routines and building an act. I am currently
reading the Fitzkee and Hennings books and other ones so I can put this together
properly. I have also been asked by one my fellow magi to check out
open mic night at a local comedy club.

I also noticed that you started street performing (which I am looking to do) in
PA.

My idea here, and correct me if I am wrong, is that I have some routines that
I can move around, put in, take out...to form my act. Thus, I figure, if I
want to do any theme, I can structure my "ACT" to be composed of routines that
I already constructed and scripted. Pay in mind that I also do, the same
physciall routines, but perhaps with different mindset or patter. Is this
what you mean you do?

I know the 2 venues are vastly different, but are they different in how you put
your act together...street, vs. what you do now?

Any other advise for a 37 year old amature magician just getting in to hopefully
reach a professional status full time?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
76 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Street Magic gave me chops on how to control an audience, it is not a good venue for deleloping routines of any length, you must be quick to gather, tip and turn for the money. I would suggest you take what material you already have and make it better.
Kozy in Hawai'i
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Structuring an Act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL