The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 3 Card Monte's most played areas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Only one person plays the 3 Card Monte in Detroit on the street nowadays. He is called "Slow Fast." No one plays the 3 Shell Game around here. I heard New York is where the 3 Card Monte is played the most. Is that true? The 3 Card Monte and Shell Game is played the most on the streets in what cities?

Dynamike
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
If the 3 card monte is played in NY, I would like to know where?
Also where are the buskers in NY?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Buskers in NY are best found either in front of the museums or in Central Park. There's a bandshell on the East side of the park with an asphalt path that's practically "buskers row" during the summer and/or on weekends. (NY'rs, help! I know the bandshell is just south of the fountain, but what street is it near?)

There used to be some near the entrance to the zoo and the underpass just past the zoo's "animal" clock used to be a particular favorite for musicians because of the echo effects.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
I hear the monte has dried up in NYC since Giuliani cleaned up the city.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is it more in Chicago, San Francisco or Los Angeles?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 20:21, bwalendziak wrote:
I hear the monte has dried up in NYC since Giuliani cleaned up the city.


Good. That wasn't busking, that was a con job.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Downtown L.A. on broadway, I've seen 3 card monte and the shell game with 3 little soda cups
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Boston seemed to always have a "monte mob" working somewhere in the Commons. I haven't been there in a while.
I also know a guy who use to do the 3 shell game with a newspaper and bottle caps in the back of busses in New Orleans. After having someone shoot him 5 times he now does gospel magic but my understanding is that the game still goes on, especially with the busses routed through the poorer sections of town.

Not a tourist safe attraction
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
At One Time The Streets Of Manhattan Had More Than Their Fair Share Of Monte Mobs And Operators.

Rudy Giuliani's Administration Had Much To Do With Making The Streets Safer And Reducing The Quality Of Life Crimes.

Back In The Day I Can Remember Monte Operators In The Garment District, Up And Down The West Side And To A Certain Degree In Lower Manhattan.

We Usually Just Moved Them On Unless There Was A Specific Complaint And Then A Collar Was In Order.

Most Were Pretty Sharp Using Cardboard Boxes As Tables And Having Good Lookouts.
These Sharper Operators Were Usually Long Gone Before We Even Rolled Up To The Scene.

It Was An Interesting Time. I'll Say That Much!!

Best,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Lest we forget Canal Street in New Orleans. At least BEFORE Katrina.

Steve
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 11:31, mandrake01 wrote:
Buskers in NY are best found either in front of the museums or in Central Park. There's a bandshell on the East side of the park with an asphalt path that's practically "buskers row" during the summer and/or on weekends. (NY'rs, help! I know the bandshell is just south of the fountain, but what street is it near?)

There used to be some near the entrance to the zoo and the underpass just past the zoo's "animal" clock used to be a particular favorite for musicians because of the echo effects.


Thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes open the next time I'm roaming that area. Its
getting cold now, but I'll check out these spots and see if I see some around.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-11-19 20:23, solrak29 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 11:31, mandrake01 wrote:
Buskers in NY are best found either in front of the museums or in Central Park. There's a bandshell on the East side of the park with an asphalt path that's practically "buskers row" during the summer and/or on weekends. (NY'rs, help! I know the bandshell is just south of the fountain, but what street is it near?)

There used to be some near the entrance to the zoo and the underpass just past the zoo's "animal" clock used to be a particular favorite for musicians because of the echo effects.


Thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes open the next time I'm roaming that area. Its
getting cold now, but I'll check out these spots and see if I see some around.




I just used Yahoo Maps to look. Using the "hybrid" setting, I can see the fountain and the road that passes just South of it empties onto 72nd street. So the bandshell should be on the East side of the park (Fifth Avenue) near or just south of 72nd street. Good luck.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I perform monte/three shell regularly and audiences who have been stung have rarely mentioned American cities. Most lost in either Barcelona or Eastern Europe.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Think that most folks by now also understand that they can not win the game . . .
Cards never lie
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You'd be surprised. It's their own greed that compels them to think "I got him figured out, now it's time for payback." It's an ego thing too. They just can't bring them selves to simply walk away.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Some of the places in my jurisdiction are rest areas, truck stops, parking lots and secluded areas.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 3 Card Monte's most played areas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL