The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fast and loose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I keep hearing about this trick, but I've never seen it.
can anyone tell me where to find a demo?

thanks.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Check out the School for Scoundrels and Whit Haydn....

It is based on an old street con. It is a lot of fun to do as a routine...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There's a clip of Chef Anton performing Fast and Loose at http://www.scoundrelsphotos.com in the "Scoundrels Video" album. You'll also find four teaching clips from their Fast and Loose DVD.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
There's also a little bit of business in an article called Loopy Loop, by Pete Biro, which is posted somewhere at Stevens Magic, I think.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2006-11-16 20:52, scaress wrote:
I keep hearing about this trick, but I've never seen it.
can anyone tell me where to find a demo?

thanks.

this is a briliant street con. but please don.t see it as a trick. it is a game. many times when I do my lecture about 3cm 3shell game and fast & loose, magicians say to me I don.t get a reaction from the spectators. it is because this is and LOOKS like a game. 3 card monte looks like magic. cards dissapear or change places.

I don't want to put you of because this game is fantastic and you can do it everywhere. so the best place is the school for scoundrels.

have fun
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
174 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
That is what I thought until I saw Whit Haydn do the 3 shell game ...Now that was pure Magic .
Now I'm hooked and doing this great pice of Magic.

If Magicains are not getting a reation out of the 3 shell game they are not doing it right .

You show the pea under a shell ,you put a shot glass over the shell with the pea under it . the spectator puts his or her finger on top og the glass then someone else puts ther finger on another shell and the pea is under the remaining shell ...How is that not Magic...

3 card monte is magic in your book ? why because it is cards?

Mr. Blake please do more looking into the 3 shells before you lecture on a great pice of magic..
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's a tip about the chain:

If you cannot do the trick without convincing the spectator it really is a 50-50 proposition each and every time then the trick is a complete waste of time.

To learn this requires practice. That's the part you must get down pat or you lose everything. It will become very uninteresting very quickly.

I've seen several chain offerings and the SFS DVD on this is far superior to anything else I've ever seen. You learn all the subtle ways to make anyone a winner or loser no matter what they do. AND just as important, you also learn how to show them that if they had just done the opposite, it would have ended up the other way.

It doesn't matter how cute your presentation or how historically significant. If you're not convincing them it's totally fair each time, you're toast.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-11-17 11:17, Frank Starsini wrote:

It doesn't matter how cute your presentation or how historically significant. If you're not convincing them it's totally fair each time, you're toast.

That's right. As Whit explains on the SFS DVD (which is just excellent), the endless chain is a PURE LIE. That's one of the things that makes it so cool.

If you "sell the lie", you "lock thier mind into a box" from which there is no escape. If they are convinced that one side always holds fast and one side will always come loose...they are doomed. And you can play them like a Steinway upright as long as you want.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2006-11-17 11:11, Rev.moonchild wrote;

Mr. Blake please do more looking into the 3 shells before you lecture on a great pice of magic..

DEAR MR. MOONCHILD before you start accusing me of not knowing what the 3 shell game is it would be beter if you start learning to read. the question was about FAST OR LOOSE and not 3 shell game.

I only wanted to tell a difference between the 3 card monte- 3 shell game and the fast or loose. I perform all three games for many years now with succes. based on that experience I realised that people see the fast or loose moor as a game in wich they can figure out , by good studeing the chain, how it works. sorry if I was not clear enough.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Ah, but here is where quality props come in. The S4S chain which is also available thru frank at the ambitious card is impossible to figure out if you follow the instructions on the S4S video.

The DVD/video makes it abundently clear why you need the type of chain they say. Once you have the moves down, can sell the lie and have the right chain you are free to create mayhem and have fun.

I love fast and loose. works great with my character....Imagine that , a Pirate who cheats.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I have the S4S DVD, it taught me all anyone needs to know, great stuff on it. The best I am sure. The chain I use in performance, silver plated, was purchased at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry section. It's been some time back, I think I paid about $5. It works smooth as silk. Got a sweet little black bag for it at a mall, $1.50. At someone's request the one I made on the fly in a pinch from a length of pull chain for a ceiling fan linked together with a few stripped down twist ties worked just as well for that performance. No one got wise, the lie was sold hook line and sinker and the bit flew like a race horse out of the gate. Believe me, no one suspected that chain as tricked up!

People, it's not the chain, it's not the realistic TT, it's not the red or blue backed cards, etc., it's the moves and you Man! The S4S chain is sweet in it's own right, and perfect for the right conditions, such as those audiences that prefer to see the better things in life. It's not the only/best chain to use, IMHO.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
IMHO, the weave of the S4S chain helps to hide the business... since the optics of this are very important in "Selling the lie" I like their chain. I find the "Plumbers Ball" Chain is easier for some very sharp eyed individuals to follow... and once the jig is up, someone may spill the beans...
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
For the record neither chain I wrote of was "Plumbers Ball".

The sell of the lie, for me, is the first two tosses and any other that need be to show that the right or the left can be loose and that the other side is definitely fast. At this point there is nothing for a sharp eyed individual to see, only the pure and honest truth that one side is fast when the other is loose. Nothing quite like pure honest truth to set up a lie eh?

After the sell comes the dirty business. I find people watching the action of the toss far more than the lay of the chain. After the chain is down in their mind it's over. One is fast and the other loose, that's why it's a purchase on their minds part. The thing is to see which way it's tossed, an idea verbally planted when the honest part is demonstrated. I've yet to find a layman that can make heads or tails of rest of the tosses, keeping the beans where they belong.
DoctaJones713
View Profile
New user
Massachusettes
64 Posts

Profile of DoctaJones713
There is a video on Whit Haydn's Myspace page that shows the entire fast and loose routine from S4S as performed by Chef Anton, it's a little bit less than half way down. As a bonus, there are several other routines on there as well and they are all fun to watch!

Here's the link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus......09709398
. . . but the third man answered, "I am building a cathedral."
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 19:25, Jerrine wrote: I find people watching the action of the toss far more than the lay of the chain. After the chain is down in their mind it's over. One is fast and the other loose, that's why it's a purchase on their minds part. The thing is to see which way it's tossed, an idea verbally planted when the honest part is demonstrated. I've yet to find a layman that can make heads or tails of rest of the tosses, keeping the beans where they belong.

In my limited experience with this, I think Jerrine is right. It's the toss they watch, and whether it's left-handed or right-handed and so on. In fact, I tell them that once the chain is tossed, it can't be changed and that's what makes it so fair. (Right.) And when you pinch the chain into the necessary "Figure 8" pattern, it's just about impossible to discern the lay of the chain, in my opinion.

I have also tried several different chains (but not the SFS chain), and found that plain old plumber's chain is actually OK. I get the stainless or brass stuff; it is easy to find, relatively cheap, can easily be adjusted to any length you like, and lasts forever. It also looks like something familiar, so the specs readily accept it for what it is. The only downside is that plumber's chain does tend to roll a bit on a hard flat surface. But if you perform on a close-up mat or a small piece of carpeting, as I do, that problem disappears.

I also vote for the SFS DVD, which has everything you'd ever want to know about Fast & Loose, is extremely well done, and has some good presentation ideas, too. I especially liked the "knot kicker" at the end, which just helps to confuse and amuse everyone even more. [I made my own knot by double-knotting a small piece of plumber's chain, and then tying the loose ends together with a bit of transparent nylon fishing line. It's not elegant, but it works just fine.]

As has been said before, no matter how well you can throw the chain, if it doesn't seem fair and it's not entertaining, no one will be interested. But performed well, this is one that definitely "packs small and plays big." SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Thanks a bunch everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fast and loose (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL