The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » All New Dove Productions (Video) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Guys,

I've been practicing with my IDH lately, so decided to shoot this video of some effects.. Please comment..

All New Dove Productions

Thanks,
-Vinnie
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Good stuff vinnie

you know what might be a cool idea. the last one where you point to your shirt where there is a picture of a dove. If you could somehow make that dissapear and then produce the dove.

I'm thinking a shirt with perhaps a piece of flash paper cut out in the shape of a bird. stick it on your shirt, pull it off, light, and produce dove.

I just think showing a picture of a dove, whether it be flash paper, or a pic on your shirt or a silk, then making the picture dissapear and producing a real dove would be a real strong piece of magic.

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Durgy!!

Yeah, I thought about that idea aswell when I watched back the video.. I think that is a great idea with the flash paper! Thanks for the comments!

-Vinnie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Good start! Bring your hands straight forward on the last production, rather than up. If you use Durgy's flashpaper dove idea, that would also be the way to make that last production - straight forward towards the audience rather than up. What's next? Some vanishes? Transformations? I'm looking forward to your next stage in evolution.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Spellbinder! I see what you mean on the last production with bringing the hands forward rather than up..

Well, being that I don't have any tails on my *track* jacket =P (haha), I don't think I'll be doing anything other than productions.. I don't know exactly what to do after my little guy appears.. haha, any ideas? (but please to the others, still comment this vid)

THANKS!
-Vinnie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Very Good, Vinnie...Coming along nicely!
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Is it ok to fly the dove with the harness still attached?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You did a very good job, but these are not new dove productions. It has been done by many others, some in Las Vegas.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-11-17 00:49, magic_man204 wrote:
Is it ok to fly the dove with the harness still attached?

Why not? I see nothing wrong with it!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic_man, the IVD harness does not restrict the wings in any way. It doesn't touch the wings or the tail. It's just like a vest for a human.
Where the magic begins
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are some barehand vanishes you can do that do not require tails, however, I would suggest you remake the video in the actual costume you plan to use in performances so we can see what might be possible.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Wmhegbli, what I ment by New Dove Producttions was that its my new dove video, because I posted one earlier.. I know that these tecniques are not new.. hehe

Spellbinder, well, I don't really have an act down persay, or a costume.. I think that is my costume.. My character.. I'll only be performing when my SAM ring has charrity shows, which is for kids sometimes, and adults at the holiday parties.. Do you guys think my "costume" now is appropriate? I feel that being up there in a tux will be a little over-doing it for a 16 year old..

Thanks,
-Vinnie

Oh, and to all the others who commented, thanks so much!!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Vinnie,
Did you sew dove pockets in your costume? It looks very natural in appearance. I think your costume is appropriate depending on the occasion.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
I just thought the l**p might get caught on something and then you would have theis bird dangling from a string in the middle of your act.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Typically, after producing a dove with an IVD harness, it would be put away or taken off stage. You don't really want the bird sitting there with a loop showing. There is nothing restricting the dove in any way so even if the loop did somehow get caught on something, it wouldn't just hang there. It would naturally step up and perch.

Some IVD's have removable loops so after the dove is produced, the loop can be taken off (usually it's just a snap fastener) but the harness remains on the bird.
Where the magic begins
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hi Vinnie, it's great that you are working with Jack on deferent dove effects and
I can’t wait until the day you put together your dove routine, which will mean that Jack will need a partner, not to say you can not add jack to a magic routine, you can make jack appear in you act but to do a full dove routine you will need jack’s clones.
Vinnie tomorrow I am doing the Bikers Ball and will do an on stage 3 minutes of magic to music, at the end I will make my dove appear after that some table magic.
If I can get it video tape then I will post it on You-Tube for you to see it.

Best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Lou, No, I safety pinned them in there.. And thanks for the advice ont he costume.. Yeah, the occasions wont be too formal or anything..

Magic man, Dave basically answered that.. Hehe..

Dave, I see.. Yeah, I don't think it would be too good to see a dove sitting somewhere with an obnormal l**p soming out of their chest.. LOL..

Maro, thanks a lot man! Its good to talk to you again! Yeah, I plan on getting a few more doves in the future so I can put together a whole routine too.. Good luck tomorrow, and I'd love to see it..

Thanks guys.
-Vinnie
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Hi Vinnie,

Great job. You look very relaxed in front of the camera and you have the steals down pat.

Don't feel that just because you are sixteen years old, it would be inappropriate to wear Tails as your costume. Besides, Tails give you a lot of possiblities as a dove worker. I wore Tails in my first competition at the age of fourteen while doing a dove act back in 1956. It was at the New England S.A.M. Convention in Boston. BTW, I won first prize.

All the best,
Mike
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
While it's not inappropriate to wear tails, it is not necessary and it makes both the production and vanish of doves even more of a mystery. Jim Gerrish's Wiz Kids produce and vanish doves in their Wiz Kid costumes, consisting of short sleeved T-shirts and jeans. They used to use apparatus to accomplish this, but thanks to Eleazar Goodenough's insight into all the available hiding places in a T-shirt (Wizards' Journal #7) they are getting away from the apparatus and more into "pure" magic, or what I call Wizardry, like young Vinnie. So keep it up, Vinnie and don't lock yourself into only what was done in the past. Learn from the past masters, of course, but don't let them hold you back from moving ahead into the 21st century of magic.
Professor Spellbinder

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Great work Vinnie! If I can suggest one or two things... I'd work on making "hooking the loop" a little less obvious. You did great with the card manip. but the rest was a bit easier to see. Maybe it's my trained eye? Anyway, you are off to a great start!

Have you watched the Womach Bird Magic videos yet? or even Frewins work? These guys have some great tips on hooking your loops with less "flashing"...

Otherwise... very nicely done!!!

Cheers,
Bryan Gilles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » All New Dove Productions (Video) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL