The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Advice for Magicians working Comedy Clubs? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ncarifo
View Profile
New user
Burbank, California
56 Posts

Profile of ncarifo
Koz...
Is there any advice you might give to comic magicians who want to work comedy clubs as opposed to other more traditional magicians gigs.

Magicians are obviously the minority in the comedy club world. Out of thousands of touring comics it seems only a few magicians have leaped to popular success from comedy clubs -- Kozak, Mac King, AJ, Harry Anderson, Micheal Finney, John Ferrentino -- and the list gets much harder after that:)

Any advice on how to be different, accepted by comedy club owners or bookers, or any pitfalls to stay away from when putting together a "comedy" magic act for a comedy club audience?

Thanks,
Nick
-----------------------------------------
Nicholas Carifo
Modern Magician Productions
nicholas@modernmagician.com
www.modernmagician.com
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
70 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Hey Nick, I hope your well. You know this is going to be a hard question to answer. There is just so much information to share that I do not have the time in this forum to do it. Let me say this much though. When us guys that did it, started we had no one to give us advice. Trial by fire, the best way to learn. The Las Vegas Comedy Festival is in town this week and I have been making appearances, all the movers and shakers have been asking me to come work for them and I decline as I am in The World's Greatest Magic Show for 3 years now and it is nice not to travel after 28 years of doing that. You know all of us Comic/Magicians that headlined the circuit are now out of it. There is a huge demand for what we do or did in that venue. I am being asked to recomend people and you know something... I can't...as much as I would like to...I can't. There is a demand, the money is excellent, the adventure thrilling, the experience is earned, the rewards are many. Your journey starts at the "Open Mike" night at your local Comedy Club. I will make the Time to Advise if you have the ****ing Balls to step into the Spotlight!
Kozy in Hawai'i
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
PMFJI... but If asked that question my answer is... "You have to be original and you have to be FUNNY!"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
70 Posts

Profile of Kozak
PMFJI ?????
Kozy in Hawai'i
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 12:45, Kozak wrote:
Your journey starts at the "Open Mike" night at your local Comedy Club. I will make the Time to Advise if you have the ****ing Balls to step into the Spotlight!

Here's my proof. I'm the fat guy on the left with the bad shirt. Smile It's from the Cambridge Comedy Studio in Harvard Square. Since then I've gotten better and bought a suit. Smile My wife says I look "dapper". What the heck is a "dapper"? Smile

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
70 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Well to begin with, exactly what Pete Biro said...original and FUNNY.
The comics in the clubs are doing original self written material so should you. Study comedy and timing as you would magic. The people in the comedy industry have seen it all good and bad, this includes magic. They know what is hack and what is inovative. Look at what has gone on before you and do something different.
Kozy in Hawai'i
ncarifo
View Profile
New user
Burbank, California
56 Posts

Profile of ncarifo
Original and Funny! Great Advice.... You know, it almost seems that "should" be a given to a beginning comic, but one trip to an open mike night shows differently. Its always great when one or two unknowns actually create a unique character and stand out funny and original.

Thanks for reinforcing that concept.

And, I also agree with "having the ******* balls to step into the spotlight". I can remember one of my mentors in magic always telling me how to handle a brand new person wanting to become a magician. Show them a tiny bit. Maybe a trick or two unexplained and have them come back with their own explanation first, before just showing them the secret and moves. It shows their real interest, intent, any natural ability and determination to perform magic. I guess the same can be said for comedy.

Thanks.

Nick
-----------------------------------------
Nicholas Carifo
Modern Magician Productions
nicholas@modernmagician.com
www.modernmagician.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Mr. Kozak,

Thanks a million for the info. It sounds like I'm at least on the right track.

I've been putting in the study and getting out there and just doing it. If I do well or fall flat on my a** I'm always grateful for at least having the chance to hang it out there.

Some of the books I've been reading are Judy Carter's Comedy Bible, Truth in comedy, by Charna Halpern, Del Close, and Kim Johnson, Jay Sankey's book Zen and the art of stand up, as well as a shelf full of others.

I'm also obsessed with a lot of the old vaudeville guys. Some great books out there with those guys.

Is there a book you would recommend? I know you're a book guy.

Do you think comedy workshops and improv classes are worth doing for a magician?

Is there any better learning tool than just going out there and falling on your a* till it all clicks?

I figure if I just keep swinging I will always keep getting better. The only thing I worry about are the bad habits. If you learn to swing wrong, you'll never put it over the fence. That was why I asked about workshops. I'm lucky that I have some good friends here that work a lot that have really taken the time and helped me out. I listen to that audience too, they are the reason I'm there. But it really is like learning anything else, no shortcut, just work it, dad. I just want to make sure I'm workin' it right. Smile

Thanks a million for the input.

All the best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
342 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Koz, do you think there is a point where you're too old to start a career in the comedy clubs? I did a few open mics 25 years ago, but have just recently gotten into comedy again. I'm approaching 50 and will be eligable to retire from my "real" job in 3 more years.

I was on an open mic 25 years ago with a comic magician named Jeff Justice. Jeff has since moved on to corporate speaking, but did make it to headliner status. Took a stand-up class with him 2 years ago... best money I've spent. Has helped tighten up my presentations tremendously. Plan to take another course with him next year either an advanced class or a refresher of the first class. I wanted to get several open mics under my belt before the advanced class. Just doing it has helped hone what I started in the class, but it was nice to get some basics out of the way.

Point is, can a middle aged retiree make it in the clubs?

Gary
Kozak
View Profile
V.I.P.
70 Posts

Profile of Kozak
Stick with Jeff, he can teach you a lot. Rodney Dangerfield did not start his Comedy career until he was 40. You can be, do, or have anything you want...as long as you believe it.
Kozy in Hawai'i
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
342 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Thanks Koz! Will keep plugging!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2006 entrée: Paul Kozak » » Advice for Magicians working Comedy Clubs? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL