The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Perhaps another chart from Bob? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi,
I need to know the weight designations for silks. I'm looking for a heavier and consequently less "see-thru" 18" in white and red for the color ball transposition from "Stars of Magic" and Bob Fitch's "Topit Workshop". The ones I have are just too sheer.

Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ed,

I wish I could help you there but weight and opaqueness are not "ducks and ducks".

Not everything shinny needs to be silk. When the true qualities of silk, like transparency, are not what you need think outside the cocoon!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thanks Mr. Bob. You are a wise man.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22166 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Try Burlington Coat Factory or any men's store that sell men's pocket hankies for the outer breast pocket on a suit coat.

They are heavy silk and cannot see thru them. About 22" square and cost $6 to $10 a piece. Come in many colors including the ones you are in need of.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Ed:

You can try buying a silk from Dazzling Magic - I believe their silks are 8 momme which may be what you're after. http://www.dazzlingmagic.com They have beautiful, thick silks.

Also, you can contact Richard Hughes at http://www.hughesmagic.com He can custom make a silk for you - I believe he has access to very thick momme silk and can make exactly what you want. He can also sew two silks togother is you need one side red and other other white.

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 23:38, wmhegbli wrote:
Try Berlington Coat Factory or any mens store that sell mens pocket hankies for the outer breast pocket on a suit coat.

They are heavy silk and cannot see thru them. About 22" square and cost $6 to $10 a piece. Come in many colors including the ones you are in need of.

Bill,

At the the Burlington Factory Outlets these were $3.50 last time I saw them. I think Burlington is unloading them. They make good "covers" but rather useless for silk tricks. At that price, use them for bags and sleeves! The skill and machinery to sew lining silk like this are easy to acquire. Home machines work fine.

At this price even cut and restored silks this way is much cheaper than destroying neckties. (George S. and I remember the times when we could get all the good matching silk ties we wanted on 42nd Street at $1.50/each. There's a great trick you can only afford to do for your best corporate clients today!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks Ron.

Yes, I make as standard silks 6 and 8 momme. But I also can sew up 5 or 15 momme silk.

Bob is right as far as opaque quality of silks. A lot of it will depend upon the color of the silk used. You can also add a slight embossed pattern to the silk to help break up the transparency. I can get various silk brocade fabrics but it is not something I stock.

If you have colors and sizes in mind, I can send you some idea of what is available and the cost.

Ron is also correct in that I can make double silks with different color side which can give a nice effect.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thanks men.
As always, much food for thought. I will contemplate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Perhaps another chart from Bob? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL