The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dark Museum - items for true bizarrists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I suppose you could have offered to let the captain keep it in the cabin for safe transport until you landed.......
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My new front page is what the flight security saw as you approached.

:)
Higley's Doug's Museum
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10586 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
You should have claimed it had special religious connections to you - and that they would be violating your human rights by taking it away - in fact, you might be drained of all blood without it....

Or - pack it into check-in luggage. Even when I pack light - I toss all magic items into check-in... finger choppers and all.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Man my anticipation and excitment (sp) is growing just by reading all these topics on your latest work. Smile
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
I can understand the security agent.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Imagine the look on the baggage handler's faces, after reaching in hoping to find jewelry and electronics, and coming out with a claw or a head?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I just received my third zbit from Doug. I got a couple fantastic ones, a mer and a chup.

This last one was a special request that came out even better than the first two. When spring comes around the mer and chup may sit a bit while my new critter pulls in the bucks. It's going to be profitable and a lot of fun. If the weather holds at all here in Texas I may take it out in January!

I won't tell you what I asked him to make...just something I've always wanted. It's my dream monster and I expect it will play incredible.

So, if you got something special in mind do it now. Doug seems to be moving into a busy season here...there is a time limit.

If you are tired of the same old card tricks and want something new and exciting Doug is your solution.
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 15:15, mota wrote:
I just received my third zbit from Doug. I got a couple fantastic ones, a mer and a chup.

This last one was a special request that came out even better than the first two. When spring comes around the mer and chup may sit a bit while my new critter pulls in the bucks. It's going to be profitable and a lot of fun. If the weather holds at all here in Texas I may take it out in January!

I won't tell you what I asked him to make...just something I've always wanted. It's my dream monster and I expect it will play incredible.

So, if you got something special in mind do it now. Doug seems to be moving into a busy season here...there is a time limit.

If you are tired of the same old card tricks and want something new and exciting Doug is your solution.

Hey, Texas? that's where I plan on taking mine around, with my tour. Either this comming summer or next summer. All depends on school. We might just run into each other.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10586 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'm thinking in a while I will be asking Doug to make me a bunch of mummified parts.... hee hee... the Hand from the Mummy's Tomb and such... fun fun fun!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4188 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I too am adding some "Higley's" to the household.

We are all so lucky to have Doug on planet.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Eddie...I am humbled. Thank you.

D
Higley's Doug's Museum
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Hey...from the heart Doug!
I'm looking forward to reading the "Dark Museum" notes...I really enjoyed the "How-To Grind Show e-manual. An amazing study of human psychology condensed into 14 remarkable pages. I wish you sold more books.

I will be ordering the Jim Magus book day one from your site as well. What a wicked line up of contributers! Yikes!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yes...Jim has put together a nice 'who's who' of the Bizarre Magic Field for his book. I also can't wait to see it!! I have no idea what's inside! I put some initial details up on the site based on what I do know (not much). I'm about as flattered as I can be and also trying not to explode from the anticipation of seeing what everyone came up with for the props! I haven't eMailed or asked any of the contributors for clues so it will be a nice surprise all the way around.

Doug
Higley's Doug's Museum
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10586 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Just don't forget to autograph each of the tomes, Doug!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Yep, I'll be wanting that autograph too.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I was made aware this week by a very prominent collector that of all the hundreds and hundreds of sculptures and art works I have out in the wild...none have been signed. There was one...the Werewolf Trophy Head that is in Switzerland...other than that I am told, a hundred years from now there will be great arguments over some very weird things as to whether they are true Higley's or not. Shivers and chills. But I could never sign them as this would have given away the mystery here in the present...or so I thought. This prominent collector type (well known here on the Café) was quite adamant that the mers and other Zibits should be signed. So the 'autograph' such as it is, is already being thought of as collectable and I ain't croaked yet (at last pinch anyway).

All of the Dark Museum Instruction sheets were signed though...but not the props.

But I look at these as 'working tools' not shelf sitters. Whatever. I suppose at risk of getting another lecture from this prominent collector type that I'll begin signing the Zibits. What he didn't know is I have actually signed every single one of them since the beginning...though not with a pen. On purpose and in certain spots there is a fingerprint (or prints) that I leave in the piece. Just been a 'thing' I've always done...an inside joke, like Art Fay, just for me to chuckle over. Of course if properly exhibited, no one will ever see the print. But it's there. So Mr. Prominent Collector type...there you are.

But...My prints are not on file anywhere though to verify...haha...except at the NSA when I had my Top Secret Crypto clearance so many years ago. And I don't think your gettin' in there any time soon. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
So Doug,
Are you going to sign the new books, or press a finger to the back cover?

Tony
Gotama
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Gotama
That would be . . . well, bizarre. Imagine opening the book and seeing an inscription followed by a thumb print.
I asked the boy beneath the pines.
He said, "The master's gone alone herb picking,
somewhere on the mount,
cloud hidden,
whereabouts unknown."
(Chin Tao, 777-841, trans. by Alan Watts)
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
I put a bloody thumb print on the back page of most copies of my lecture notes. If the bizarre shoe fits...

P and L products are not signed, but they are hallmarked. It is the hallmark that makes them valuable I'm told. This and the distinctive blue boxes, and I'm also told that the blue boxes are almost as sought-after as the actual props. So, your stuff is hallmarked and not autographed.

Most wood carvers I know put an initial or some other mark on them so that another cannot claim to have hand-carved or otherwise duplicated their work (resin replicas of carvings are quite popular, too). this is another method of hallmarking a piece.

I have a lot of opinions on the "collector's market" that have no place here. What I do have to say is the style is near-impossible to imitate and the product of high enough quality to be both a working piece and a legacy to a future performer. It would be easy enough to authenticate one of your pieces, and I'm sure that Doug has some sort of acrchive on all of his "children" anyway. Whether your pieces are "signed" or not is irrelevant to me. I bought them for myself and not their potential resale value.

Thanks again, Doug, for taking all the time to provide individually-commissioned pieces. I appreciate it and my shelf looks better because of it.

Chris
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
863 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I don't write here much. I do however perform bizarre/odd shows. The Dark Museum got some really good respons so I ordered one some days ago. I'm looking forward in seeing the result. Thanks everybody for pointing me in this direction. I believe that I have a really good story to go with the museum and this will really fit my show. Oh, I am waiting and waiting - and I guess Doug hasn't even started making my set.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dark Museum - items for true bizarrists (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL