The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Question - Bannon greatest book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Dear all,

I know that this has been discussed in the past. Still, there are new members with different experience, also - we do change our opinions with the time, what was great last year is no longer in our hitlists and so on.

In short, which book of Bannon is your absolute favorite?

Thanks
Andy
Cards never lie
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
The last one, Dear Mr Fantasy, for not saying the next one Cardzilla, so much waited for !

It's for card lovers !
Smile Smile Smile
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
I guess it's difficult to compare because not many people have all of his books. The ones most people have are Impossibilia, Smoke and Mirrors, and Dear Mr Fantasy. However, he has a few other books which are pretty hard to find such as Mirage...etc

But out of the 3 more 'commercially' available books, I'd say Dear Mr Fantasy due to the interesting and unique way it was written.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Thanks a lot for the insights
Cards never lie
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5381 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
It really depends on what you're looking for. Both "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Impossibilia" are a bit more well rounded as far as the material goes (not all cards) but I must say that DMF is firmly planted on my list of all time favorite books, not just for the magic (which is, by far, his most mature material to date) but also for the writing. John Bannon is simply incredible. Bring on Cardzilla!!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Speaking of Bannon, does anyone have any solid info regarding the next book? Or could it be as many years as between "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Dear Mr. Fantasy"?
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
His next book will be on card packet tricks which ends up clean and examinable...but not sure if it's Cardzilla nor when will it be out...
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1965 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Dr Mr. Fantasy is my least favorite of the three mentioned. Too many ace effects and routines are too long...I was very disappointed in DMF after having the other two books. John Bannon can do way better...
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
256 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I think that Dear Mr. Fantasy is a great book. But, for sheer breadth and vision, nothing will top Smoke And Mirrors in my humble opinion. It was the first book of "advanced" card magic I ever purchased, so perhaps I have a sentimental attachment. Impossibilia was nice, but I remember not being bowled over by too many pieces.
For those of you relatively new to the cult of Bannon, you may wish to note that Mike Maxwell discusses Bannon's upcoming book "Cardzilla" on the introduction to the "Smoke And Mirrors" vhs/dvd which was recorded back in 1994. That means that accolytes are waiting twelve years and counting for this book. I'm sure John will continue to put out material (and certainly high quality stuff) I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting on Cardzilla too much.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Shikina, I'm very much the same way with Smoke and Mirrors. It was my first book of 'advanced' card magic as well and I definitely feel that sentimental attachment you spoke of. However, of Smoke and Mirrors, Impossibilia, and Dear Mr. Fantasy, I can't pick one favorite. Those three books are among my most treasured close up books. If I had to, it'd be a very close tie between Smoke and Mirrors and DMF. S&M for reasons already mentioned and DMF because reading it inspired me to get back into close up magic. Very tough call.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I love the other mention book but I would easely take DMF as my favorite.
Just for Line of sight which is my favorite card trick from any source !
Also cut the ace with last new touch, Dead Reckoning,...
Of course, I am a casual performer for friend/family !

Nicolas
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
I recommend buying anything w/ Bannon's name on it. His new book is really really good though.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Thanks everyone,
by now I have had the chance to build my own opinion. As a card lover, DMF is my pick.

Andy
Cards never lie
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
What is up with his "The Best of John Bannon" published in France??

I just won this book on eBay and didn't even consider googling the book until after the auction ended and NOW realising that this book may be written in French. It didn't describe this in the eBay auction, so I didn't even think of it. I am just a fan of Bannon's and wanted to get all of his material.

I haven't received it yet and the seller has not responded to my question after winning it.

Is this book full of new material that is NOT in any of his English books??

Is it worth it to pay someone maybe $50 to translate it for me (type written)??

Am I stuck with a book that I will have no use of??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5381 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
It is, indeed, in French (published in 1988) and contains material published elsewhere (I believe it is mostly material from his first book, "Mirage," which is pretty much impossible to find these days). Nice little collector's item for you though.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
The seller just responded and wrote:

"The book is written in English. I don't remember for
sure, but I think I purchased the book at a Magic Castle swap
meet years ago. I hope this helps and puts you at ease."

There are 15 effects in this 1986 published book of his.

Anyone know more about this book??
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5381 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The only Bannon book from 1986 was "Mirage."

Mirage is Bannon’s first book, a 58-page soft cover released in 1986 containing 14 card tricks.

If that's the one you get, then you got yourself a nice deal.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
This is the contents of that Book that is being sent to me (the seller emailed these contents to me) that is written in English and published in 1986. So which book is it of Bannon's??

1. Yin-Yang Sandwich
2. New Mutant Sandwich
3. Hard Roll
4. Eight is Enough
5. Maximum Revolution
6. The Cleaved Deck
7. Cinderella
8. Three Card Moxie
9. Be-Bop Deluxe
10. Mirage Assembly
11. Menage A Quatre
12. Defectors
13. Noblesse Oblige
14. A/K/A Reset
15. Zen Cards of Mystery
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Apparently a couple of the tricks in Mirage are repeated in Impossibilia and Smoke & Mirrors. Does anyone know which ones?

Salby, do tell us how good the book is after you've read it. Smile
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
188 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
You can live your life with the material in Smoke and Mirrors alone!
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Question - Bannon greatest book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL