The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I'm back.. sort of (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thanks again, everyone - I realize this thread is way "off topic", but maybe I can use this opportunity to say a thing about nursing homes and then I'll hop off the soapbox for good.
- Don't use them, if you can help it.

For the whole 9 months my Dad was in one, it seemed he got one CDIF infection after another, and had to go the hospital every month; everytime I visited, they would have everyone (including my mom who is still there) sitting in one large room, mostly staring at the walls. Bleh, some life.
In a way, I'm glad my dad is now spared that; unfortunately, my mom is not. She's been in that same nursing home now for nearly 6 years, diagnosed with advanced dementia , Alzhemiers, and Parkinsons. (I kid thee not !) Now that my dad is gone, I don't really expect her to go much longer either, to tell the truth.
IMO, life is a living hell in those places, but I can't take care of her and apparently neither can any of my older siblings.

I do know that I never want to end up in such a place, I'd much rather just expire with some semblence of dignity intact. There is no dignity for those in nursing homes, unless maybe you can afford to be in one of the "A" homes reserved for the rich.
On top of that, they're sweat factories that generate tons of $$ for the owners and administrators: while the labor is paid barely over minimum wage, the cost per month for one resident is between 6 and 7 grand. $7,000 per month ! You don't even get a private room for that amount either, you have to share it with a roommate; they put nearly everyone in Depends, and the food they feed them is like snot, it's this runny, slimy protein goop and it doesn't taste like pudding I'll bet.
Anyway, enough of that, (sorry) I just wanted to give everyone something to think about before committing either themselves some day, or a loved one, to such an establishment.

Anyone remember that TV show in the early nineties called "Dinosaurs" ?
There was an episode called "Hurling Day" where once a dinosaur got over the age of 72, their son in law got to throw them over a cliff into the tar pit. I think I'd prefer that, actually.
Alley oop !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Some (I guess many!) or those "nursing homes are really terrible. My dad was in a hospice at the end (and there's more to the story than that!) and it wasn't TOO bad.

Well, you brought up the "Dinosaurs," so forgive me for this: I have read that in Wales, or some part thereof, a golden hammer was kept in the church. When your parents got old, you would check out the hammer and bash their skulls in. I don't know if this is really true, but it might be a kindness in the long run. I am beginning to take all this rather seriously as I am getting up there in age, myself!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
996 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Peace to you my friend.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I'm back.. sort of (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL