The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Types of prospects & customers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I recently read on TMC that there are certain "types" of people who call to get more information. I hope others will add to this list. I have also included some ideas on how I deal with each type. Obviously these are my opinions and I am always looking for insight into my customers/clients

1) The Price Shopper - These are the people who ask "How much" first. They usually mention that they are "calling around". I always ask for more information before I even think about quoting a price. I let them know that I have a lot of experience and that I put on a very professional show. I also tell them that I am not cheap. I use the line "Good things are rarely cheap and cheap things are rarely good" If they want a $100 clown, I don't waste my time.

2) The Quality Shopper (my favorite) - They want to know everything so they can make an informed decision. I still get info about the event but they let me tell them about the show without pushing the price issue.

3) The Repeat Customer (OK these are my favorite) - Not much to say here. I ask that in addition to the dollar price that they include a refferal letter.

4) The PITA Customer (My least favorite) - These people are a PAIN IN THE ARM! They call, set up a show, then a week later they change the day or cancel only to call back to set up the show again. You know the type. Unfortunately, being in business means dealing with all types of people. I do charge more if someone changes dates repeatedly. (I actually had one lady book me three years in a row, for the the first weekend in Dec., only to cancel a few weeks later. She called the fourth year and I told her I was not interested in working for her.) Usually I take their money too though Smile

5) Hagglers - They want a special price because "you'll get exposure and can pass out your cards" or "My neighbor does magic and he said he'd only chage me $X"
My rates are my rates. If they can give me something of value then I will CONSIDER adjusting my rates accordingly. (Ask them what they can offer you THAT HAS VALUE) Sometimes you can do a trade. I once had a person that wouldn't pay $200 for 2 hours. It turns out that she owned a tux rental place. I bartered the show for 2 full tuxedos. I got more than I wanted (value wise)

6) Last Minute Shows- People that call with less than 7 days notice. Many times another entertainer cancelled or the Bouncy Bounce won't be set up because of rain/wind. I add $50 to my prices if they call me for a show in 1 or 2 days (if I am available). Sometimes people are just busy so I try to accomodate them. I will even pass them on to another local (sorta) magician if I can fit them in.

7) Strange Request Customer- People ask for all kinds of stuff. I charge them for it. Many of them think that I will throw in a custom trick for free. Just because little Timmy likes dinosaurs doesn't mean that a dinosaur magic show will cost the same as a regular show. I also make sure that both of us fully understand what is expected.

8) I doesn't fit- Occassionally what a customer wants is not something I want to be involved in. For example a prospect once wanted me to produce a dancer (I found out they meant stripper) for a corporate gig. I could have done it...if I wanted to. I decided that I did not want to be the guy who produced an inappropriate guest for a room full of professionals. I politely decline. If they ask why I tell them. In the case of the "dancer" I told them that they might want to reconsider their entertainment for the evening. (I never did find out what happened)

9) Agents- I now deal with agents one of two ways. Either the customer pays me directly or we use a three party contract. I used to lower my prices for one agent until I found out he was making double what I was when he booked me out. I don't have a problem with agents making money, but I am the one spending a Sat. night driving to and from the event. I am also the "value" they are earning $ on. I make it clear that they MUST charge my current rate. I will gladly had out the agents cards (if they ever bother to provide them.) Fair is fair.

10) Jerks- Sometimes people call and are just plain rude. If they are a little rude, I deal with it. If they are WAY over the line I politly decline to perform for them or charge a higher rate for dealing with them.

Please add to this list.
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
There is also the first timers. People whom have never booked entertainment. A number of different things can happen with this group as they can morph into one of the other groups really quickly. They often don't even have an idea of what they want (which sometimes becomes a problem as some are unsure about everything). Once you figure out what they need/want, you can then move on. I have found in the past that offering too much to these people is a mistake. If you recognise a person as a first timer only offer a maximum of two packages. One is preferable.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
The poor coordinator - The person who has been delegated to contact entertainment but doesn't know what the situation is, what the audience is, what they're looking for, or what the budget is. Sometimes these can be the first timers as mrbilldentertainer said. And sometimes not.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
These are both excellent addittions. Here's another:

Customers who have a $0 budget for entertainment. This can be horrible or it can be very rewarding depending on the circumstances. I get LOTS of info from them and then tell them I'll think about it. Sometimes I tell them that I will do it, but if a paid gig comes along, I will have to go where the money is. Also there are other things of value to you. Advertising with your name, flyers, experience, ability to break in new material, services that they offer, TIPS, media coverage, referrals, etc. Carefully weigh your options. Maybe try to get your expenses covered ($25 or so) or offer your services at half price for charities. You can use this as a tax write off if you have the charity pay you your full rate and then you donate the $ back to the charity. (I think ??)

One more

Annoying People- Frequent callers that never book, ask ridiculous questions, or are looking for adult entertainers. I have a ADD or "behaviorally challenged" kid who used to call once a month and ask about lessons. He did this because his parents told him if he behaved that they would have a magician teach him tricks. I felt bad and many times offered my services for a really reduced rate ($40). I finally told them that I would not be used as a pawn in a game. They never rewarded the kid, in a full year for good behavior, with what he wanted.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
My least favourite...
The spy.
Another entertainer calling, posing as a customer to find out what acts you have available, how much you charge for each, and a list of references.
You have now supplied them with your type of act, the price they have to beat and a contact list to get them started poaching your customers.

Yes...this does happen.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Types of prospects & customers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL