The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Originals and rip-offs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I know this has been talked about time and time again, I came across this video on youtube and I contacted the magician in it. He sent me a copy of his show on DVD which I have to say every trick and illusion is "Borrowed" from someone else, mostly Copperfield and his Eternal String patter is from Alexander, the point is I don't know where he gets his props but as you can see on the comments on youtube, I wonder how good of an eye people have to say his origami is a fake? It does not look like mine which was built by and authorized builder but there are a few buiders.
You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbKErGAhWY&NR
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
The video wont work. It is marked as private. You get this message:

"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Sorry about that.... Didn't realize that , hmm also try:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MagicofBq
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Yes, this is Brandon... he is also a member here on the Café'. I'm not at liberty to say as much as I'd like to about this guy; however, I have noticed a bit of borrowed routines from his show!

-Bryan
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
You must be kidding me, right?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Although I've not seen the routine being talked about, it's one thing to copy the routines of others. They are, after all, great sources for ideas and inspiration. You might say, "Wow...I did not think of trying this effect like that!"

It's another to copy the routine of others exactly, line for line, and NOT change it somehow to make it your own.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like to spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours creating, rehearsing, changing and perfecting something only to have someone else steal it and use it as if it were theirs?

Mark.
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I have seen this guy selling illusions on eBay, his knock off props look like ****. He obviously is a punk and has no integrity in his work. "If you are going to steal, steal from the best." But I don't think that statement meant to steal a whole act word for word. I think if he is going to steal anything it should be a new wardrobe. Here is a hint...buy cloths that fit you...not Copperfield.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2006-11-20 10:35, Caveat Lector wrote:
I think if he is going to steal anything it should be a new wardrobe. Here is a hint...buy cloths that fit YOU...not Copperfield.

Absolutely! Besides he looks like someone who works behind a desk from 9 to 5. I am not saying one should sparkle like The Strip or dress in Gucci from head to toe but clothing is really important. I really don't understand where he is getting at with that wardrobe...it makes him blend in a lot and its...hhhmmm...shall I say not the best choice for his physique.

I was watching his shadow box routine and was amazed by the arrogance he showed after appearing. I really got the impression that he had no respect for the audience. Very self-satisfied demeanor like he'd be thinking "Yeah I gotcha suckers you cant do that, can ya!!"

Sad.
Sent from my Typewriter
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
153 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Lusion

I left the message about the ripped off Origami illusion on the video clip. I have been researching the Origami illusion for sometime. I own a John Gaughan version. As has been mentioned here several times there are only 2 licensed builders in the world. They are Wellington Entreprise and John Gaughan himself.

The version Brandon is using is neither, You can tell this by looking closely at the base and the way the box opens. the flaps at the top of the box are recessed slightly. which neither of the licensed ones are. The mirror is also smaller than any that are supplied by Mr Gaughan or Wellington. My best guess is that his came from Dominik Magic in Italy, a well known rip off builder. Have a look at the link below, I'm sure you will see the resembalance.

Rich

http://www.dominikmagic.com/English/payp......m027.htm
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I didn't notice the mirror, Bill at wellington told me to check the out but now I don't see the video but I have his dvd somewhere.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Geez... everybody's private stuff is ripped off here. ARgh... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I noticed a dealer at Blackpool Magic Convention, 2005, who was selling Origamis, Modern Arts and some really crappy looking Sub Trunks (I think they were a pinky/salmon type of colour). The Origami looked suspiciously like the one on Dominik's site. Can anyone confirm if it was Dominik at the convention? I remember the box, when folded, was MUCH larger than the original and takes away a lot of the mystery. Whoever it was that was selling (and taking orders for) these, you'd have thought they wouldn't have been allowed at such a well known and respected convention.

Mark
Mark Daniel
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
153 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Mark

I didn't make it to Blackpool this year. I agree that is shocking if they allowed a dealer to sell something that is so heavily licensed. The other point is that it is heavily licensed for a good reason. I haven't seen a fake one yet that would fool an audience where the lighting wasn't perfectly controlled. That is what is so beautiful about the real ones. There is no special situation required to perform it in. I did it in my living room last week and fooled some family friends, and they were 5 feet away.

Rich
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
So sad to see magic organizations defy the very ethics they are based on for a few bucks of rental space. How can we expect others to stick to ethics when the larger orgs don't practice what they preach.

Best,

Tim
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
I'm not sure what mvmagic is getting at with the comment on the wardrobe. Brandon isn't wearing anything too flashy, it's just a dress shirt and dress slacks. To me that seems pretty conservative and it fits his physical form fine. It looks fine on him.

I like the various little jokes he makes with the stagehand. Those are really pretty funny.

Also I liked his Gypsy Thread presentation. Good way to integrate his message into the patter even though I personally wouldn't put religion into a show.

I enjoyed the snow routine. Though I felt the snow from magician's hands part was very weak, I did enjoy the snow all over the audience as well as the spotlight irising down to a point on the snow globe at the end. In my opinion snow routines in general seem overdone - and I myself have had difficulty coming up with something other than the usual "childhood dream" or "I met a kid who has never seen snow so I made some" scenarios.

(On a side note, about the best snow presentation I've ever done involved a private show I did for two little girls a few Christmas's ago. Their mom had recently been laid off from her job and the kids weren't going to get a Christmas. I was put in touch with them and took them out for a suprise night of magic. This included taking them to Denver's Civic Center Park and presenting them with gifts from under a natural tall pine tree. It also included making it snow in the park, when it was not otherwise snowing outside.)

A lot of Brandon's presentations really do smack of David Copperfield. For example during the card mentalism prediction routine, when the ball is about to be thrown, we hear the line "whoever it cracks in the head" which is a direct copy of DC. We also see the box being lowered from a chain and brought to the stage by two stagehands, and the line is "bring the box to the stage" which is another direct copy, and the same exact music is used here as in the DC show at the same moment.

Brandon's show would have great potential and I think it's already good. It just needs to have all the DC copied stuff removed from it. Was the audience in that venue was more enthusiastic than they seemed on the video?

--Jack Smile
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
IllusionJack,

I apologize if this come across negatively or whatever... If he removed the Copperfield knock-offs from his show, he wouldn't have a show...
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
That is not far from the truth I'm afraid.

Further browsing of Brandon's website reveals a "Beach" illusion that looks strikingly similar to Portal.

I worry that folks who go see Brandon's show, who have also seen Copperfield, will notice the rip-offs and this will hurt Brandon in the long-run.

Brandon! Are you reading this??

--Jack Smile
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
So the Blackpool magic convention is still the place for rip-off's? It was just the same some 15 years back when they were allowing delalers to sell poorly built 'Impailed's'. It seems that some of the biggest names are willing to endorse the practise. 'Cosmosis' and 'Dynamic Coins' are both sold by Marvin's Magic, neither with permission, and look who's behind that company! - If Brandon is pushing a christian message in his shows it's interesting that he doesn't let his faith interfere with his ethics!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2006-11-21 00:55, IllusionJack wrote:
I'm not sure what mvmagic is getting at with the comment on the wardrobe. Brandon isn't wearing anything too flashy, it's just a dress shirt and dress slacks. To me that seems pretty conservative and it fits his physical form fine. It looks fine on him.

What I am getting at that it doesn't fit him or look fine for that matter. It looks very boring. The stage is so dark and the muted colors of his clothing blends very much with the surroundings. It is a stage show he is doing. Many people don't want to see guy dressed like an office clerk on stage. I was taught an important lesson by a friend of mine whose luminous career has lasted over 40 decades (and she is still on top). The way you dress shows your audience how much you respect them.

Like I said in my original post, clothing doesn't need to like Liberace's or you don't need to wear top brands all the way. In this case, just different colors would do much difference. You don't need to be flashy to look smart and stand out. But quite frankly, being on stage as the star performer, you NEED to stand out. Just like bad costume design can kill a movie about the queen of England, it can kill a stage show.
Sent from my Typewriter
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Let me just make clear that the stall I mentioned selling rip offs was the only stall I saw there that was selling goods of this sort. This was at the 2005 convention, I'm not sure about whether it was there this year or not, as I wsn't able to get there this year.

On the whole, Blackpool Convention is superb and has some great dealers. Its just a shame that this particular dealer managed to slip through the net.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Originals and rip-offs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL