The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Originals and rip-offs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I must second the remarks of mvmagic. His choice of costuming is just not right. He is trying to pull of what DC has been doing for some time now. Wearing the blue shirt with black pants, which I personally don't really care for, but it works for DC, not Brandon. I am not the smallest guy in the world so I dress appropriately for my size. When you are a bit on the rotund size you should never tuck in your shirt as it shows your midsection off in a very unflattering way. If he wore a jacket it would look just so much better, or even a vest. His routines scream imitation, but only to us, as I am sure he is not working for magicians he does not have to worry about what most people think. Most regular audiences either don't know or just don't care, they only wish to be entertained. I think he is a kid with too much money who is just going down the wrong path. Hopefully he will read these posts and sell the knock offs and use the money to buy authorized versions. Not only will he be more respected within the community(if he cares), but the good versions look 10 times better than any knock off piece of s**t. Sorry for that but unfortunately that is the way they look.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
On 2006-11-20 14:51, r1ch-oxford wrote:
Hi Lusion

I left the message about the ripped off Origami illusion on the video clip. I have been researching the Origami illusion for sometime. I own a John Gaughan version. As has been mentioned here several times there are only 2 licensed builders in the world. They are Wellington Entreprise and John Gaughan himself.

The version Brandon is using is neither, You can tell this by looking closely at the base and the way the box opens. the flaps at the top of the box are recessed slightly. which neither of the licensed ones are. The mirror is also smaller than any that are supplied by Mr Gaughan or Wellington. My best guess is that his came from Dominik Magic in Italy, a well known rip off builder. Have a look at the link below, I'm sure you will see the resembalance.

Rich

http://www.dominikmagic.com/English/payp......m027.htm

WOW! What a thief! Can someone stop this? Please stop hurting our art! FXXK!
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
BTW Jack his gypsy thread routine is not his (not a shock) its actually Alexanders routine word for word with the presentation.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Oh really? I didn't know that. Did Alexander include the Jesus Christ message as well?

I will agree with mvmagic that the costume is nothing particularly special or anything. But I also don't think he looks bad in it.

--Jack Smile
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Yes Alexander did include the Jesus Christ message as well, its word for word minus 1 or 2 words. That message sticks in your head after you watch it. I was sitting down with my daughter and commenting how Brandon is taking so much from Copperfield and then when he sat down to do the thread we laughed and said what if he did Alexanders routine...and you should have seen our mouths drop when he started talking and repeating what we seen Alexander do a few years ago in Tahoe!!!
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
You know, that would be an interesting character to create, a magicial office clerk.
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Quote:
You know, that would be an interesting character to create, a magicial office clerk.

Uh, that would take someone who can, ya know, create?

Take care

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
royaltmagic
View Profile
New user
Kintuckee
61 Posts

Profile of royaltmagic
Imitation is the highest form of flatery.
Besides...he's trying to appeal to the lay audience...which is who pays his bills. Not other magicians. Let him be.

-Travis
"Beeble beeble beeble. Blah blah blah."

- Sum Wan

http://www.royaltmagic.com
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
SORRY TRAVIS!!!! That is a NO NO you have then completely missed it all!!! It starts with the rip of anothers performance, most people agree that some way shape or form we have all done this but he continues with unauthorized illusions, its not about his show which a lot of people have turned it into but rather time for him to take a step in responsibility. Everyone grows and I hope that he does the same, before he changes his show I would hope that he would first replace the knockoff and obtain an authorized version, if not he is hurting us as a whole, hurting those that help us take our shows and illusions to the next level the designers. I highly respect designers Steinmeyer, Summers, Parker and everyone else. I would hope that you would also. Unless we can get a grip on this then our art will suffer in the long run. So Travis we cant let it be, rather I can not.
royaltmagic
View Profile
New user
Kintuckee
61 Posts

Profile of royaltmagic
Lusion,

I respect your opinion, and even see a few of your points of view...but it happens, it's going to happen. It happens in almost every field out there (e.g., Coke, Pepsi, generic colas. Toyota Matrix vs. Pontiac Vibe, etc...). One person sees what another has done successfully (who also got their ideas from someone else, and so on) and they want to imitate that. Not only that, but they see it, admire it. Haven't you ever tried to re-create something that you admired?
I'm not saying that he should stay where he is, but yes, rather move on...but for the time being, if he is successful at it and the lay people like him, why bother him? Lay people don't know who created what effect...nor do they care. They just want to be entertained. If we're all so worried about knock-offs, then why don't we patent the dang things? Until then, we have nothing to complain about.
Thanks for your time and response.

-Travis

- Sum Wan

Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Well Origami is patented now what is to be said?
royaltmagic
View Profile
New user
Kintuckee
61 Posts

Profile of royaltmagic
If it is truly and legitimately patented...then you're right. He need not be using a knock-off. Now go get 'em tiger.

-Travis

- Sum Wan

Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
LOL
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
As for this act, he actually has the nerve to have a snapshot of him standing with Copperfield on his website.

He does not dress well for a man performing on stage, his clothes do not make a positive statement about him or his performance.
He frankly looks like he works in the mailroom of a real-estate agency.

Now… is some guy who had a few art classes paints copy after copy of a famous Picasso, even forging the signature, and sells them at street fairs….

Is this man an artist?

Yet this is exactly what many of our brother and sister “magicians” do!

If you’re walking through the streets of Florence Italy and you pick up one of those little deformed plaster copies of Michelangelo’s “David” are you now a collector of fine art?

Yet, this is practically what you’re getting when you buy a cheaply turned out rip-off illusion.

Do you want to be a Magician or a Xerox-of-a-Xerox-of-a-Xerox-copy-of-a “magician”.

An audience knows…
Yes, they want to be entertained,
but I highly doubt the true entertainment value,
watching some guy in Wal-Mart slacks pushing clunky boxes around the stage,
parroting lines he’s taped off television specials without permission.

The way our laws are currently written, there is a Catch-22 and it is almost impossible to truly protect our magic.

More attention has been focused upon Intellectual Property protections, however to apply those protections many companies hire huge law firms and spend untold thousands of dollars, something most performers and magical inventors just do not have the time or funds to do.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
On the subject of knock offs, there are plans being sold on ebay at the moment for Interlude illusion. I have complained to ebay about knock offs of various illusions and plans over the years...but no one seems to care. The problem is that these plans do not even help you build a decent model...which can only be bad for the business.

Scott
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24230 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-11-23 22:03, royaltmagic wrote:
If it is truly and legitimately patented...then you're right. He need not be using a knock-off. Now go get 'em tiger.

-Travis

This has been discussed before. You can look up the patent for Origami by going to the USPTO website and doing a search on Steinmeyer. It's not easy to find. There is a patent, as well as one for improvements.

Posted: Dec 4, 2006 1:47am
--------------------------------------------
I want to also point out that there is a regular poster here who keeps "improving" the various Steinmeyer illusions, such as Origami and Interlude. What he doesn't realize is that some of his "improvements" are not new at all, nor are they necessarily improvements over what is actually being done. Criss Angel featured an "open Interlude" in his stage show for some time. It's a lot better than what this fellow is trying to peddle. And if anyone thinks that Steinmeyer hasn't considered every possible positioning method for an assistant, he is in for a shock. All I can say is that if you want to do Jim's illusions, bite the bullet and pay for them. This is a business where you get what you pay for.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Originals and rip-offs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL