The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting An Appearing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi All,

Does anyone have any tricks, tips, suggestions on painting an apearing cane with metal paint. Have you done this or seen it done? What's the procedure?

Thanks in advance,

John
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's a tough one. The closest I've come is touching up a metal cane with magic marker.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Looking at mine, I think it is blued spring steel. I would suggest a professional, someone who does gun blueing might be able to help, or at least pooint you n the right direction. Paint will likely chip off quickly. Magic Marker works.
The tolerances are pretty small for the action to work well. Most methods I think of to add colors to it would involve heat, or electroplating. either of which could ruin the spring of the cane. I would track down a metallurgist, or other metla finishing professional to be on the safe side if you are looking to do a large area, or the full thing.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
John;
Birchwood/Casey makes a product called Super Blue for bluing steel. On a steel cane there are steps which must be followed to do the job safely. It is possible to unroll the cane to remove any oil or rust. Once the bare steel is clean, the bluing can be applied. I like to work on sections of the cane at one time. The steel will darken immediately. Rub off any extra bluing with a tissue or cotton ball and reoil the cane. I clean the cane with scouring pads - then rinse off with lacquer thinner. Hardware stores or gun shops carry the bluing. Be careful not to cut off your fingers! This is not a job for the timid nor clumbsy.
Jim
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Thanks Jim for the tips. Now I understand the cleaning process. My actual mission is to make the cane look like a candy cane (ie. red and white strips), an idea of John Kaplan's. He suggests a Mickey Hades book "Novel Magic With The Appearing Cane", so I was wondering if anyone had experience actually painting the cane.

Thanks for the suggestions so far,

John
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
He must be referring to a Fantasio plastic cane OR an alternate method that has been discussed in this forum using plastic shower curtain covers. The other solution with a metal cane is to have a collapsable cloth or plastic cover that springs open over the cane (sort of like a cloth covered spring snake with a cane replacing the snake).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have the same tape as John and Kaplan does say it's a metal cane that he painted red and white. I recently bought three appearing canes from Hank Lee's Magic Factory. They are stainless steel are painted. They come in red, white and blue. They sell for $75 each.(I bought one of each color when he had them on sale.)

It might be easier to buy a white cane or a red cane and try to paint the other color on it.

By the way, John, have you tried to contact John Kaplan? He's always been pretty good about responding to me.

Michael
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Thanks Michael...maybe the white cane is the way to go. No I didn't contact John, I thought someone here may have had some first hand experience with this, but you're right John is very easy to contact. I've been using a chrome cane for the past two years ( it kinda reminds me of a big piece of tinsel....but that's a big stretch), so I thought I might try making the candy cane. I'm just a little afraid that I would "paint" it shut!!!!

Thanks again,

John
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I talked at length with Mahka Tendo last summer. He had made appearing canes in color. It was not a good idea. The paint was constantly chipping off. His vanishing cane were ok but the appearing (by his own amission) should have never been made and sold. BTW, he used automotive paint.

Hope that helps.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Now there's something I hadn't thought of. Thanks Richard, I'll give that a try. Sounds like it might be more durable.

John
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Because it's moving so much.. you need to get an automotive paint that's flexible.. you can get plasticizers for paint.. to make automotive paints more flexible.. but.. plasticizers will also sometimes make the paint more sticky..

you'll just have to try it and be careful.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Epoxy paint is also an option but it is trickier to use. You might also consider waxing the cane after it is painted with a hard wax.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting An Appearing Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL