The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dirty little secrets and rippoffs of the death care industry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Go here: http://interment.com/articles/goliaths.html

Interesting reading. Blows the lid off a lot of their caskets of greed, and exposes a few skeletons in their funeral home closets.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
My mother's funeral a year ago - saved literally THOUSANDS by ordering online the selfsame casket she had picked out.

Not the sort of time the average person thinks "where can I save a buck?", but every penny I could save to assure my disabled brother a lifetime income was very important.

http://www.funeraldepot.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My personal opinion is that they realy exagerate what one needs to have a beautiful, touching funeral/viewing for their loved one..

Very real example in my own life...having recently buried my beloved wife, Diana, their was very little cost involved..(compared to the NORM that is), and yet, it was beautiful, touching, and emotionally moving. We were able to put her favorite stuffed anumals in her casket during the viewing, I personally chose the music that would play, and I layed a rose...the last rose I would ever give her on her busom as she lay there, and I can say with assurance that it's little personal thoughtful touches like those that really make the difference.
They add deep meaning to the time. Only the family knows what was special to that person...not funeral directors, unless of course, you choose to convey that information to them.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
When my mother in law died twenty years ago we were fortunate enough to have a small town, locally owned funeral home do the necessaries. We had her cremated and interred in a simple brass box which we then buried in the family plot. We actually saved a few bucks by burying her ourselves. It was a nice way to say goodbye and allowed me to fulfil a long held fantasy of walking into a cemetery with a shovel.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There was a really interesting show on PBS a while back on Do-It-Yourself Funerals, burials, etc. Seems to be a growing trend in some areas, harking back to earlier times.

Check it here.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Unfortunately, it is when a loved one has passed away that people are most susceptible to being scammed. The funeral business is very cut-throat (pun intended)!

It is not unusual for someone to spend hundreds, even thousands more for a funeral and casket than they should. After all, we want our dearly departed to have the best that money can buy. Ironic, since funerals et al are for the comfort of the living.

The best way to deal with this would be to plan ahead and make your funeral arrangements well in advance of the actual event. No one gets out alive. Best to be prepared. That should also extend to creating both a living will as well as a regular will.

One last thing, speaking from experience, make sure your will is easily accessible to your family, even before your death. My mother had buried hers among some other documents. As a result, her husband's (he had died one month prior to her death) family came and totally cleaned out the house of almost all furniture and goodies. Even accused my brother and aunt of hiding a life insurance policy from them that didn't even exist. Now that's greed! When found, her will only stipulated that certain things go to them, most of which she had given them right after his funeral.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dirty little secrets and rippoffs of the death care industry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL