The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seamless Muppets - how do they do it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
I have always wondered how Jim Henson's Muppets were built without any of the seams being visible in close up shots.

Anyone know the answer to this specific mystery? Something to do with Antron Fleece?

Dai Bato
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Antron Fleece is good for covering seems, but a lot of it is where they make the seems... that is on the sides and under hairlines, etc. There are some good videos on making puppets... Verna Finley had one on making her soft vent figures that was very good. Not sure who's distributing it now. Also one by David Pannabecker I thought was excellent... really made to be used in assembling his puppet kits, but the ideas are universal. Probably still available from him at:

http://www.armslength.com

Hope this helps
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Thank you, Chatterbox41!

Dai Bato
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi,
I am a puppet builder for TV and have made several 'Muppet' Style puppets.. THe secret in hiding the seams is indeed using the Antron Fleece's fuzziness and slight stretch to cover the line. It is also in figuring out the right type of stitch to use that will minimize the seam (I've had to do seams right up the center of chins and whatnot and the seam is still invisible). Although you want to try to not put seams in such prominent places, somtimes it is unavoidable. Good luck,
Damien666
rickmorse
View Profile
Regular user
Flushing, MI
131 Posts

Profile of rickmorse
Quote:
On 2006-11-22 11:31, Chatterbox41 wrote:
Antron Fleece is good for covering seems, but a lot of it is where they make the seems... that is on the sides and under hairlines, etc. There are some good videos on making puppets... Verna Finley had one on making her soft vent figures that was very good. Not sure who's distributing it now. Also one by David Pannabecker I thought was excellent... really made to be used in assembling his puppet kits, but the ideas are universal. Probably still available from him at:

http://www.armslength.com

Pannabecker's videos are head and shoulders above anyone else's. The only problem is, no patterns of any kind are included. They are sold separately, and are NOT cheap!

Rick
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
I purchased the video set with patterns and pre-made parts in the spring. The set is a bit pricey but it did have patterns and I can use them to makemore in the future. The video is very detailed and worth the cost in my opinion.

Worth looking in to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seamless Muppets - how do they do it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL