We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Silly question about Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I am looking into buying a dove or two to add to my act. I would like to know how long the average dove lives and the conditions it needs to be happy and healthy. (Temperature, companionship, amount of space...)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5097 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ben will shoot me for getting to this before he does but anyway, Daniel, the life span of a dove is varied. Some books tell you 5 years average, but some performing doves live as long as 20 years. All depends on environment, treatment, genetics. I always plan for the worst and figure 5 years. All of mine are older than that. Doves can survive cold and heat as long as they are not in direct sunlight or in a draft. I keep mine in my basement and garage.

Famous dove worker, Amos Levkovitch keeps his birds in a large walk in an aviary outdoors while others keep them in cages. Mine are kept 2 birds per cage and each cage is about 24" x 24". Companionship often means eggs. Be sure you want that before you pair them up. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of definite answers but in dove magic, there are a lot of variables.

There are quite a few dove workers here at the Café so don't be afraid to ask questions.
Where the magic begins
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Thank You, your answers are very helpful to me. One other question, do doves need companions? Is it better to start with two doves instead of just one?
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
Daniel, the amount of cage space is dependent on what you want to do with the birds, e.g... a bigger cage for your birds to fly in, if you want them to fly in your act, a smaller cage will suffice if you just want to "handle" them
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5097 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Daniel: On the matter of companionship, they don't need a mate. I know many dove workers that only have one bird. Be warned though. Doves are habit forming and once you use one, you'll want to add more to your act. The only caution is that if you have one for a length of time and introduce a new one, they may fight like cats and dogs. Doves are very territorial, especially if you get two males.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Daniel,

Your best bet it to buy a video tape of doves. One of the best is "Unmasks" by Tony Clark. Get volumes 1 and 2. I promise, you will feel a lot more relaxed after purchasing those videos.
Visual_Close_Up
View Profile
New user
Windlesham, UK
13 Posts

Profile of Visual_Close_Up
Another DVD to buy is dove 101 by Andy Amyx.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I'd get at least two doves. One could argue for humane reasons, but for practical reasons, too. Every show needs a back up plan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Silly question about Doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL