The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Through A One-Inch Hole Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afnoce
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of afnoce
I’ve been reading about the “Through A One Inch Hole” illusion and it sounds pretty cool, but I’ve never seen the effect actually performed. I’d like to get an opinion from any of you who either perform or have seen this illusion performed first hand as to how well it plays. Does the illusion look as good as it sounds? What kind of reaction does the audience have? On another note, is the illusion easy enough to build from the Steinmeyer plans or is it advisable to purchase one already built? Your feedback is very appreciated.

Alfred
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
I perform that one and built one for a friend as well. It's a long trick as far as illusions go but it plays well with good presentation. If you have a good gift of gab then you may be able to pull it off. Since you will have a couple of volunteers helping pull the rope you should also be good at controlling them while maintaining audience control.
Also it takes a lot of practice for the timing to work smoothly. As with most of Steinmeyer plans they aren't complete so you will have to guess here and there. I have seen some available on MagicAuction.com and Ebay for as low as $250.00
-Good luck.
-vk
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Thru a 1 inch hole is a very effective illusion, a neat twist on the old subtrunk idea. We have built ours from the plans in the book. The illusion is easy to construct and if you have experience in woodwork and the proper tools, then go for it; otherwise get a ready built unit.

The reaction is very good. But like in all illusions, all comes down to your presentation and handling of said effect as even a great illusion can be totally ruined by a poor performer.

I personally recommend the illusion. It is very unmagical in appearence, very natural, and that alone enhances the thing--it registers something like, "That can't be gimmicked."
Sent from my Typewriter
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
BTW: Luis de Matos performed it years ago in one of his Noite Magica television specials.

I think a carpenter could build it from Steinmeyer's Device and Illusion plans without any problems. Smile
afnoce
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of afnoce
Thanks for the great feedback, guys!
skilusion
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of skilusion
I think any illusion is awesome depending on how it is performed. I have seen this one a couple of times and they were both different. I would suggest that you keep the pace up on your presentation because it is a long illusion. Hope this helps. I haven't built this illusion but have built several others and it looks really easy to build.
skilusion
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
374 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
What is the effect of this illusion?

Anyone could help me on this?

Thanks
afnoce
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of afnoce
Joao,

Here's the effect: A fully examinable packing crate/ box is shown and locked. A rope that was shown and looped through the front and bottom of the box (through the 1 inch holes) is tied to your assistant's waist the other end is given to an audience volunteer. When the signal is given, the volunteer pulls on the rope, in turn pulling your assistant from outside the locked box to inside the locked box. Impossible! The only way in is
through the 1-inch hole on the front of the box. The four master locks are removed from the box revealing your assistant with the (same) rope intact and still tied around her waist. One moment the audience sees the magic assistant outside
the box the next she is gone, only to be seen again when the box is unlocked and the lid removed. Once the box is opened the magician unties the rope from the magic assistant's waist and she steps out of the box to another round of applause.

Alfred
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
374 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Thanks a lot!
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I had one built from the plans in the book by my woodworker and he did a brilliant job. As the others have stated, it does require a good presentation and the amount of practice necessary to perform this smoothly is not overstated. I performed it almost completely surrounded at a fair venue last year and it floored them. Wonderful thinking on Jim's part! Smile
MarkWPA
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of MarkWPA
I agree - Jim came up with another good one!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
It's a great illusion. Good for also packing your props into. Have a second top made so you can leave this "solid box" hanging around.

Lock one for in the lobby and challenge someone to get into it!! Use the line "any good magician can get out of a box, but how many can get into one magically (or put someone into one)?

Some folks here are mentioning it is a long illusion to perform. A friend (Ted Outerbridge) performs it nearly all to up tempo music. And it plays well. Goes fast to!!

Good luck with it!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Through A One-Inch Hole Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL