The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Bottle production: reason for the silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

Since recently I've been performing a bottle production with a silk handkerchief.
I first produce a large coin from the handkerchief which I vanish after that in the handkerchief. Then I produce the coin onto my shoulder and produce the botttle ( a la Bob Read, David Stone).

I decided I wanted to do it a different way: Take an opener (and do the opener gag) from my breastpocket and after that produce the bottle from the silk. With the (short) coin routine I had somewhat of a reason for the silk. I first showed the silk to the audience, and told them it was a original Chinese silk. After that I said that Chinese silk is worth quite some money (on that words produce the coin).

With the opener gag I have no reason for taking out the handkerchief. I was wondering if anyone here has a reason for taking out the silk?

The first thing that came to my mind was to take out the opener first. After that notice some dirt on the opener, then take the silk and wipe the dirt away. After that say something like: only if it's clean, it's ready for use! (produce the bottle).

I was wondering if anyone has creative ideas which he would like to share.

regards
Simon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a good idea. I don't know if you need to justify the silk in the first place. You can do a gag with it. Just bring out a silk, show it both sides and produce something really odd -- a hairbrush, your wallet, whatever. Then do the bottle production.

What was the reason to bring out the silk for the coin routine?

If you want to justify the silk without saying a word, act like you are hot, bring out the silk and wipe your forehead. Then produce the bottle.

With the opener, you can look at the opener while you are speaking, stop when you "see" a speck of dirt on the opener. Don't say anything, just bring out the handkerchief and clean the spot off. Then do the production.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I agree that it isn't completly necessary to justify the silk. But somehow I feel more comfortable if I have a reason to do something or take prop out.

With the coin I said it was a very special silk, that is worth money (and then produce a coin).

Just wondered if anyone had specific ideas about it. Last night I came up with the idea of taking a glass out instead of an opener. Then say you would like to make a toast, but not with an empty glass...(then produce the bottle).

simon
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
One of my favorite silks productions is Hen Fetsch's "Grandpoppers." It's in the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 3, P.1498. My suggestion is to use it, or any other clean barehand production of a silk, as your starting effect. Give the silk an exotic name "The Mystical Silk Handkerchief of Hoboken," always gets a laugh in New Jersey. Use some other funny local town or city in your area that will seem like a crazy place for a magical silk handkerchief to come from. Produce some strange items, as suggested by Bill Palmer - your comb (quick swipe through the hair as you say "I wondered where I lost that.") Then your wallet "So that's where it has been hiding!" Then the can opener. "A can opener? I wonder what that's for?" and that brings out the bottle.

So the handkerchief just appears by magic just because it's "The Mystical Silk Handkerchief of South Podunk (or wherever)." Then stuff you seem to have misplaced shows up in the handkerchief, including the bottle opener which leads to the bottle. Toss the silk over your arm like a waiter and bring it up to a spectator like a waiter to "inspect the vintage." If it's a beer bottle, this is funnier.

I hope that is of some help.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
If you want to do the cleaning line, then you could produce a bottle/tin of polish instead of the bottle.
Paul
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That might be effective if the bottle of polish were as large as the other bottle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
How about produce a smaller coin, barehanded, and then the silk to clean it off? Then use it to produce the larger coin, etc....
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I would bring out the silk to mop my brow, then produce the bottle of water to quench my thirst.

Hey those spotlights get hot!!

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Bottle production: reason for the silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL