The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
To echo Bill's comment above, albeit more bluntly .... as the song goes "the times they are a-changing...."..... but in fact, the times have already changed. We can't use real livestock anymore just because kids like them or because they might make us look good. We can assure ourselves how much we love animals, how we care for them and the like... but the travel, the noise, the unfamiliar environments and the handling are all stressful to animals..... and this includes fish as well. We write in these posts as if 'animal rights' people are a small lunatic fringe. They are not ... they are mainstream and those who use animals will eventually become the lunatic fringe. These people are giving voice to the animals who have no voice. Don Stevenson, Regina, Canada
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
-We write in these posts as if 'animal rights' people are a small lunatic fringe. They are not ... they are mainstream and those who use animals will eventually become the lunatic fringe.-

Surely this why the very first post on this thread actually makes sense. Why does anyone need a live rabbit, if they can have just as good a reaction from a cardboard or puppet rabbit? No cruelty involved, no animal rights protestors knocking on the door, and no nosey kids wanting to know what is in the basket? Makes sense to me! I don't think I will invest in a rabbit after all, having carefully read through all these posts.
frogstomper
View Profile
New user
Gold Coast, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of frogstomper
Where I live (Gold Coast, Australia), there is a $30,000 fine if you are caught with a pet rabbit, because we have a wild rabbit problem in this state that costs our farming industry $millions, so I think I'll settle for my rabbit in hat puppet for now. The kids love it.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Mr Froggie

Have you seen those toy rabbits (and other animals) which you can whip out of a prop like a hat, place on the table and they run around without going off the edge? Some even stop and do a somersault before setting off again.

They are great for keeping childrens attention whilst you put the prop under the table and bring out something else.

Whatever they cost retail they are so cheap wholesale. I have a few for use in various shows.

Just a thought - some need a lip around the table to work best whilst others work best without a lip. Be aware.

I have a Su-table with a lip and two Roll-ons without. I have both sorts of animal.

As someone has said, why mess with live ones when you can sling these in the bag.

I think I said that!!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Tony, I think my rabbit was a Netherland, don't think it had any Polish lineage. I really spent a lot of time trying to acclimate it to me, but it never took.

Ireland, I love animals and have been a great owner of pets for many years, but I think your description of a future where animal "users" are the minority is a scary one. Rabbits are great little creatures, but it will be a sad day indeed when magicians no longer have the option of using a live rabbit. I choose not to use one because my audience doesn't like it. But I'll defend someone elses right to use a live rabbit.

Smarty Pants- excellent points, unless you are mean to your flat cardboard rabbit puppet, and then you will have the society for the prevention of cruelty to flat cardboard puppets at your doorstep!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:50, Harris wrote:
A parallel question would be are some kid show performers using things like tarantulas (sic), snakes or other more non traditional animals.

Harris (still growing, glowing and learning) Deutsch

Harris, I have a pet bearded dragon I considered very briefly (about 20 seconds) about using in a show. The problem is they may look tough and rugged but lizards are actually pretty fragile creatures. Just dropping one from waist high can cause internal organ damage. Then keep in mind that if kids rush you and it gets hurt or runs into the room there could be more risk.

But finally the bottom line on lizards and other reptiles is this quote from exoticpets.about.com

Quote:
Last but not least, you need to be aware that reptiles are common carriers of Salmonella bacteria (as are some other common pets). Read about the risks and how to minimize them in Salmonella - Risk from Reptiles < book title

So there is a risk of cross contamination if you handle the lizard and do not wash your hands prior to touching anything else. The amount of salmonella is low, but if an infant is contaminated from it they would be in real risk.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I hope this was not asked yet, may have missed or forgotten it.

Should I choose to start using rabbits->
Do you feel that a reputable (clean well run) pet store is an adequate place to purchase a rabbit? I have heard people say never buy any pet from a pet store for one reason or another. Or should I only deal with a rabbit breeder?

AND, do the non-rabbit users feel that the non-rabbit climate exists for Stage Shows also, or only for parties?
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Rick,

I would try to find a reputable, dwarf rabbit breeder. I have to go quite a distance to buy my Netherlands. I found a terrific breeder but he is far away. When I am looking for a rabbit I just call him and describe what I want. He frequently travels pretty close to me when he goes to rabbit shows. He will bring a few for me to select from and we meet half way.

When I first contacted him I already knew a lot about Netherlands and I drilled him with tons of questions. He knew exactly what I was looking for and I got exactly what I asked for. I trust him now, so it is a little easier to find a proper rabbit.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Using live rabbits in a show is a personal preference. I think it's wonderful for the magicians who love to use them. I don't use them at this time. I have a couple of house cats and if I got a bunny it would stay in the house (no where to keep outside) with the cats. I don't know if this would be a good idea.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Tony James,

Do you have any links to the toy rabbits in which you speak?

Thanks!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Sorry, no. These are the toys you see in stores, usually on a table display, waddling around as toys like this do. Sometimes they have a fence around to stop some of them going off the table so always check if you want one which has a sensor which changes direction when it detects the edge of the surface.

there are all sorts of animals, cars and other things like this.

Like so many useful products they are found in all manner of places - just your eyes peeled and use your imagination.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I to travel about a 1,000 miles to get my Nerklander Dwarfs. I now have two. Being the lunatic that I am, I just love them. They are great pets and what a reward when I use them in my magic shows.

I am in the minority and like it. I am aware of only one other magician in my area that uses bunnies. I assume like me, he is high in demand.

Birthday parties are great, but there is no greater reward than producing a bunny at a retirement center. Those older folks love it!!
Max
frogstomper
View Profile
New user
Gold Coast, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of frogstomper
Hey Tony, great suggestion. I might look into getting something like that.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Max

if you've got two of them go take a look. You might have half a dozen by now!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Tony,
Thanks for heads up. I just checked - nope - there are two and there is a good reason for that.
Max
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When I was doing school shows I 'gave away' a live bunny at every show. I was using a blue dutch and would pull a ticket out and announce the winner. When the kid came up to get the rabbit I would say to be sure to tell your mommy that the gestation period ends in about 4 weeks and at that time you may have a whole bwer of rabbits. (My shows were fund raisers, on the weekends, and at least half the audience were the parents.) 'Please be sure to feed them every 2 hours around the clock for at least 2 weeks after they're born.' I was always given the rabbit back before I left the building. I had the same rabbit for over 2 years and finally traded him in to a breeder for a smaller one.
jake g
frogstomper
View Profile
New user
Gold Coast, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of frogstomper
LOL. That's hilarious Jake! Makes you look like such a generous, giving guy. Maybe I should give away a week's holiday in Sydney, at my parties...only catch is, you have to WALK the 700 miles to get there.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
What pushed me over the edge and made me want to get a rabbit was the fact kids kept asking to see one! In a kid's mind magicians and rabbits go together like peas and carrots. I think it's hard for them to imagine one without the other. Now I fully understand you don't 'need' a rabbit to make a show good; but I don't think it would hurt.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Gordon old chap, carrots and peas don't really go together in that sense. Carrot and turnip is more likely.

Of course there is an odd woman up the lane here who wanders into the fields and sits in the carrots and peas. Perhaps you're correct after all!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I had a cute little Netherland Dwarf, but the darn thing peed all over my circus box and bit me, chewed my furniture and left little pellets all over the place. Add that to the fact that most moms in this part of the US are animal rights people and get sad upon seeing a live rabbit and I gave away that little rabbit to a good home.
Hi Bill.
Sometimes the bunny teeth needs trimming especially if you only feed it pellets.
Hay is very important for wearing the teeth down, or put a bit of hard wood in the cage. You will see it disappear bit by bit.
You can also trim his teeth with a small sharp metal cutter.
I bought a female (Hoto) dwarf recently. They have a black ring around their eyes.
She's quite an active bunny, always jumping around the cage. I've just finished trimming her teeth and claws with the same cutter.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL