The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Tom,

A puppeteer, ventriloquist, won "America's Got Talent Contest" beating out three powerful illusionists. In addition, a British Version of the show, also had a puppeteer move up to another level, They loved him. The guy with the rabbit tricks moved up but couldn't move on. Does this mean chuck the magic and become a ventriloquist and puppeteer? Dump the rabbit for puppets. Not at all.

Puppets are powerful, no doubt and I have 5 Axtell puppets andmany others including police and fire fighter puppets. Does this mean I am to give up magic for puppets? Not at all. I looked at Kimmo's excellent website and knew he will do fine with puppets.

So you Tom and others clearly understand, there are more ways than one to entertain children. Puppets or no puppets, rabbits or no rabbits, in the "scheme of performance" it is the outcome of what we do is the most important. It is how we feel and how we leave our audience that really matters. When we are dead and going, what memory did we etch in the minds of the children we entertained, that is what really matters. I have the option of using a puppet and a rabbit, to me that is a "double wammy"!

In none of my posts, have I ever said dump the puppet for a rabbit in the hat. I can easily make my rabbit puppet come alive, it is amazing what can happen when you "Wish upon a Star".

At least I am comfortable with the fact, I don't have to justify why I don't use a rabbit. There is no need to convince a client or other magicians the "Fake Rabbit" is better, and to do so by tearing down those entertainers who do use rabbits. At any request, I can easily not do the live rabbit routine, but never have I had such a request.

Tom Said, "...you have squashed your own argument."

There is no arguement, no debate here, only "lifetime memories" How one does that is up to the individual. There are five pages here to convince others not to use a rabbit, a "rabbit in the hat puppet" is better. I love them both so from my perspective, I have the best of both worlds, both concepts, without the need to convince others one is better. And most importantly, without the need to tear down others, to justiy one's belief.
Dennis Michael
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 22:45, Dennis Michael wrote:
I KNOW I burned lifetime memories.

What's a former fireman doing setting fire to photo albums?

George
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-10-05 06:59, Dennis Michael wrote:
Tom,

A puppeteer, ventriloquist, won "America's Got Talent Contest" beating out three powerful illusionists. In addition, a British Version of the show, also had a puppeteer move up to another level, They loved him. The guy with the rabbit tricks moved up but couldn't move on. Does this mean chuck the magic and become a ventriloquist and puppeteer? Dump the rabbit for puppets. Not at all.

Puppets are powerful, no doubt and I have 5 Axtell puppets andmany others including police and fire fighter puppets. Does this mean I am to give up magic for puppets? Not at all. I looked at Kimmo's excellent website and knew he will do fine with puppets.

So you Tom and others clearly understand, there are more ways than one to entertain children. Puppets or no puppets, rabbits or no rabbits, in the "scheme of performance" it is the outcome of what we do is the most important. It is how we feel and how we leave our audience that really matters. When we are dead and going, what memory did we etch in the minds of the children we entertained, that is what really matters. I have the option of using a puppet and a rabbit, to me that is a "double wammy"!

In none of my posts, have I ever said dump the puppet for a rabbit in the hat. I can easily make my rabbit puppet come alive, it is amazing what can happen when you "Wish upon a Star".

At least I am comfortable with the fact, I don't have to justify why I don't use a rabbit. There is no need to convince a client or other magicians the "Fake Rabbit" is better, and to do so by tearing down those entertainers who do use rabbits. At any request, I can easily not do the live rabbit routine, but never have I had such a request.

Tom Said, "...you have squashed your own argument."

There is no arguement, no debate here, only "lifetime memories" How one does that is up to the individual. There are five pages here to convince others not to use a rabbit, a "rabbit in the hat puppet" is better. I love them both so from my perspective, I have the best of both worlds, both concepts, without the need to convince others one is better. And most importantly, without the need to tear down others, to justiy one's belief.

Dennis, you said it perfectly. This thread has seemed like an attempt by a few non-rabbit users to justify their belief that not using rabbit is better. Anyway, that is how it seemed to me. I have said all along, to each his own. If your show is better without a live rabbit, by all means don't use one. It would be fine with me if all magicians would stop using rabbits, then I'd be the only one. I'll bet that would get me some bookings.

Some may find it too difficult to care for a rabbit. Keeping rabbit(s) does require some sacrifice, and the well-being of the rabbit should come first. A magic show does not have to include a live rabbit to be great, but using a live rabbit does not make a show lousy. I use a rabbit in most of my shows, but not in all, so I see it both ways too. I personally like to use the rabbit and I know the vast majority of my audience likes it too. That's all that matters to me. If something can improve my show I am all for it. If I thought taking the rabbit from my act would be an improvement, I'd do it in a minute. I feel the live rabbit improves my show and that is what counts.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"If one doesn't understand why one uses a rabbit and the impact it has on children, then one needs to study Basic Children Entertainment 101. I just don't want to get into a debate about it."

I find it most interesting, Dennis, that you made this statement at the beginning of this thread. That was nearly a year ago. Ever since then, you seem to have delighted in getting into a debate about it with others. Ofcourse, we all know the impact a live rabbit has on children. Many of us contributing to this thread also know that many other effects and presentations have a great, if not greater effect on children. That is the only point we are making. Some of us have difficulty understanding why so many of you still use a live rabbit. Is it possible that some are trying to substitute a live rabbit for a lack of talent in other areas? This is not an accusation.............just food for thought.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Having a rabbit in your show is a personal choice, and is independent of whether a performer is good or not.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Having a rabbit in your show is a personal choice, and is independent of whether a performer is good or not."

I am not sure that you are always right, here. I think that there are some performers who think producing a live rabbit will make them a better entertainer. I disagree. Great art comes from within and not from without.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Tom said: "Is it possible that some are trying to substitute a live rabbit for a lack of talent in other areas?"

Anything is possible these days, its more likely one finds excuses not to use a rabbit and tries to convince others that is the way to go, and tries to elevate themselves at the price of tearing down others.

"Is it more of a possibility that some are trying to justify not using a rabbit for method of trying to land a booking because their ability is already in question by failure to use a rabbit?"

Of these two possibilities, I would lean more towards the second. The first is actually incorporated in the second as an excuse or statement to convince others again, this is the reason magicians use rabbits. It's a false syllogistic form statement to validate that talent depends on the use of a rabbit.

That statement infers that entertainers like Lance Burton's FISM winner with the production of Doves was based on the Doves and not Lance’s talent, or David Cooperfield's use of Webster the Duck is a substitute for his lack of talent to entertain, or Houdini's production of an Elephant, is a substitute for lack of talent. The use or not use of any animal has no reflection on talent. One has talent or one doesn't. Talent hinges on so many variables, to use it as an excuse fully justifies the point, one must make excuses for not using a rabbit, to elevate themselves above those who do. It has nothing to do with talent.

I will say this related to talent. “Entertaining children requires special skill, ability, and knowledge; one’s ‘level of talent’ is based on that knowledge, experience (Ability to perform for children) and learned skill from other’s teachings on how to entertain children. It is not a gift, it is not learned naturally, it is obtained from others. Once one reaches an unspecified level, then one can expand, enhance, and teach others.”

Of both above stated premises, Donald's statement in an above posting, "Having a rabbit in your show is a personal choice, and is independent of whether a performer is good or not." is clearly a more accurate statement.
Dennis Michael
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree.
Mister Mystery
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Entertaining children is not a gift, it is not learned naturally, it is obtained from others."

Of all the statements I have ever read in The little darlings, this one is the most ludicrous. OFCOURSE entertaining children is a gift and requires talent. You can attend all the magic club meetings you like, read all the books on the subject you wish. You can own every expensive Chance Wolf prop, and every magic DVD that is out there. That does not make you a good children's entertainer. You can also never study anything about the subject, be a great natural artist, and go out there and use your God given talent that comes from within to entertain and amaze the little ones.

Chelsea, UK
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The point is no matter how many books I read I will never be able to paint like Picasso, sing like Pavarotti or be as funny as Billy Connolly.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"The point is no matter how many books I read I will never be able to paint like Picasso, sing like Pavarotti or be as funny as Billy Connolly."

George.....you get it! There again, you are from the UK, so maybe that is why!

Chelsea, UK
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Kimmo..........it has been about a month since you informed us you were getting rid of the rabbit. Could we have an update as to how this is working for you? Have you noticed an increase or a decrease in bookings? Do your repeat bookings miss the rabbit? As you are the guinea pig in this rabbit thread(no pun intended), I am sure many of us would be most interested.

Chelsea, UK
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I understand that Kimmo is in America at the moment, following his world championship win at Blackpool. There are several threads up the top of the LD about rabbits, and I happen to know that Kimmo, who no longer uses a rabbit in his shows, is busier than ever. I thought it might be interesting to revisit this old thread which was started before the Rabbit police became such a threat. It has some good stuff in it. I bet some children think that Kimmo's Charlie is real!

Chelsea, UK
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Kimmos Charlie IS REAL!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I know it is Easter, and bunnies are popular, but have you noticed the number of threads on the front page about rabbits besides this one? Spooky........!!

Busted By The Bunny Police!

Alternative to Rabbits?

Producing a Rabbit

Rabbit Police???

Pro Viper Help!( whoops....my mistake. That is about a snake lol!)

Chelsea, UK
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
I was about to point out the same observation. Of course it is Easter. We could change the topic to using multicolored baby chickens.(do they still do that?)
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL