We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help mice / rats and Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
I saw a rat or mice eating one of the little pebbles out of my dog's food bowl- after looking closer- I noticed about 4 of them including one that was hanging to the bottom wire floor of my doves aviary(like if searching for a hole to get in through) this was yesterday and after I saw them I took my doves out of the aviary and put them on cages inside my garage- Question" -Does any one have any experience with rats or mice and doves? Can they harm them? Or do they just want their food?

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Rats can easily kill doves, and it does not take them long to get through the bottom of a cage. Mice- Not as dangerous to Doves, but certainly not good to have around.
Not sure what to do if you are keeping your Doves outdoors.
My solution for protecting my smaller outdoor critters years ago was to run an electric fence wire off of the one for my horses around the base of the aviary about 1/2" above the ground. That took care of the mice, rats and weasels pretty durned well.
I'm guessing that is not really an option for most people, so I'll see if I can think of anything else.
Gwyd
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey Jarana, as stated, they can be a threat. Not only the fact that they will do anything to get to the food, but pretty much harm anything in its way. Rats, and mice also carry diseases (rabies, lice, bacteria, etc....) which can easily transmit to the doves. You did the right thing by taking them out and putting them into the garage. I, personally, have never delt with this issue, but from seeing others experience similar problems, the action you took was the best one.
Bob Sanders can probably answer your question really well seeing as how he lives in the country (if his dial up access lets him on *haha*), and he may have dealt with the issue more than others. PM him and ask....

One solution may be to elevate the aviary off the gronud some. If you have already done that, they putting a bunch of mouse traps underneath and around the aviary,,,this may deter unexpectant rodents. (Just don't load the traps with food as this will attract more unwanted pest) . Hope that helps maybe a little bit...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The only doves I have ever lost on the road were to rats backstage.

Don't take it lightly!

Second consideration: Once you have rats and mice, they become the food supply for snakes! So then you have snakes too. They will eat dove eggs, young doves, and on a bad day they'll eat an adult dove. (They will also make your wife unwilling to feed your birds!)

It's decision time. Doves or rats and snakes?

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Now you know why my doves are off the ground and the dogs can get under the cages. (It's a food chain of sorts!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There are plenty of mouse and rat repellants as well as poisons. As Bob said, try to get the aviary off the ground. Put the repellants and traps or poisons under the avaiary.

Even in a garage, if a mouse wants to get in, it will. It only takes the tiniest hole for them. Once they're inside, your birds are fair game. I have traps set in my garage and catch an occassional mouse but I have more trouble with squirrels. Leave the garage door open and those critters think it's buffet time. They go after the seed, not the doves.
Where the magic begins
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
When I leaved in N.Y.C. the Bronx area, I found many mice in my dove’s cage and like Dave said they go after the seed, not the doves. I once saw two mice go into the cage going for the seeds and this was with the lights on, the doves that were sitting on eggs puff up as to say don't come near me. I used mouse glue trap around the cage and would trap 2 or 3 mice a day. Please do not use rat poisons as they will die in an area in the house where you can not get to and will find it a stinky problem even if you spay the good stuff. My problem here in Florida is the CATS, A cat a few month ago got into my place and I was on the computer, the dove cage was about 20 feet from me, My daughter screamed and by the time I got to the dove's cage the cat had took off the head of one of my dove. At that moment I wanted to kill all 9 lives of it but the cat ran out, and after a few days I was able to trap it and called animal control that came to pickup this big gray cat.

Maro

PS: N.Y.C. Has one cat to every 500 mice and in Florida 500 cats on the streets to every one mice and I still have not seen that one mice.
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Agreed on the rat poison. Glue traps or regular rodent traps are best. There isn't a person alive that can get to a cat in time to stop a tragedy if it's on the prowl. They're the quickest little critters around Smile Although I do practice with my cat walking around. He's too big and old to worry about a little bird. As long as he can get to his food dish, the litter box and the bed, he's happy.
Where the magic begins
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Try this: Build your outdoor cages with hardware cloth (the square- holed type with small squares, such as 1/4 inch ). Then, put on an extra layer, but build it out from the actual cage, about 2 inches. This way, you have two layers of wire with a dead space in the middle. As for the cage door, which can't be easily made this way, use a piece of clear acrylic, such as Lexan. Hope this helps!

Phil
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Wow - didn't know had such a problem- yesterday I used the glue traps around the outside of my fence- but came home only to find dead lizards on them- I did not put the glue traps inside my back yard due to the dog being out there- don't know how this will affect the dog, but will have the glue traps inside my backyard tonight while the dog sleeps inside the house(only thing is I go to work in the morning and don't want my wife to have to pick up live rats glued to the traps, she wont even go outside - hahaha) - and I will reconstruct the aviary to be lifted more than just 6 inches off the ground - I think maybe 3 feet off the ground, but can the mice run up the 4 corners wood piles that hold the aviary?

Also, what about my rabbits? I have two out there also, in a cage of course, but I do let them out about 3 times a week and ran around my small backyard, and they have been chewing making a little hole in the wood wall of the cage. I know for a fact this is big enough for mice to get in there too - can they harm my rabbits?

Thanks all for your responses and help again.

Jaime
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Mice in with the rabbits is going to put them at risk of parasites.

Raising up the aviary will be good, but yes, mice and rats can climb up wooden legs. You need to put something on the legs that will prevent that. A metal cone facing downwards (Large open end down) about half way up the legs should do it. that way the mice and rats can only climb up inside the cone and won't be able to get around it.
And there will be no glue traps to pick up, and the lizards will be able to live in peace.
Gwyd
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks Gsidhe, apprecite your response and tips.

Jaime
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Rats eat waste and excess bird seed. It's essential to keep your dove cote free of both. Good luck, it's a common problem, but all it takes is diligence (and the suggestions you've already gotten) to deal with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help mice / rats and Doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL