The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cody Fisher's Bill to Lemon being released (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Trophie,

I can't believe you exposed my method on an open forum...and I quote, "magically cause the bill to dematerialize and reappear in a lemon that requires NO SKILL, NO PERFORMANCE ABILITY and NO PRACTICE." GREAT...now everyone knows! ;-)

Seriously, thanks for your comments on everyone's hard work!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-01-15 14:52, Irishghost wrote:
No performance of the creator doing the effect? Why? This makes me really think twice about forking out $300.00 bones. I think I will pass.

Cody, sorry man, I was just joking, like someone said in a previous post. I was meaning to post this sooner, but I was away. Sorry if I offended you. Your work is top notch, and I would definatly buy this effect if I could work it into my routine(only cards and coins mostly) Sorry for me possibly starting other magicians to rant and rave over no performance, I honestly meant it as a joke. I always make this comment when no performance is on the dvd. It was not to long ago when all we had to go on was printed material and some cool stick drawing to figure out tricks and effects.

Best Regards Cody,

Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Jeremy,

No offence my friend...

Cody
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
{My response is in CAPS for contrast, not for any other rhetorical purpose. Cody's full statement appears above in this thread.}

On 2007-01-17 14:30, fishermagic wrote:
Cody:

Perhaps you should hold off on your decision to make pre-order purchases in the future.

IN GENERAL, I AM SURPRISED THAT THIS IS THE TONE YOU USE TO ADDRESS A CUSTOMER. I SURMISE THAT BLAMING THE CUSTOMER WAS YOUR INTENT.

There was a delay in shipping (about 10 days) as we were waiting on the DVD to be duplicated. Due to the holidays, the duplication company we used got behind and that in turn caused us to have a delay that was out of our control.

I DID NOT ADVERTISE THE END OF DECEMBER, I DID NOT CAUSE A DELAY BY CHOOSING AN UNDERPERFORMING DUPLICATING COMPANY. I DID NOT FORGET THAT THE HOLIDAYS OCCUR AT THE END OF DECEMBER. NO ONE CONTACTED ME ABOUT THE DELAY. "PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HOLD OFF ON YOUR DECISION" TO HAVE A PRE-ORDER MARKETING STRATEGY WHEN ONE DOES NOT NOTIFY THE CUSTOMER OF A DELAY.

For those that know Paul (and Hocus Pocus’ integrity) you could have simply contacted them at any time and had your order canceled and your card charged back the full amount...no questions asked. This is the reason that I entrust so many of my products to Hocus Pocus...the customer is always right.

I WILL CONTACT, AND LOOK FORWARD TO BEING "RIGHT." HOWEVER, YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT I, THE CUSTOMER, DID NOT HANDLE MY DISSAPOINTMENT CORRECTLY.

You mention that you only received "one" of a certain item...there were actually two packaged in every box.

I DIDN'T KNOW HOW MANY OF THESE ITEMS TO RECEIVE. I WOULD HAVE BEEN SATISFIED WITH ONE ACTUALLY. BUT WAS SURPRISED TO LEARN THAT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS WERE TO PROVIDE MORE THAN ONE. IT IS VERY GENEROUS TO SEND TWO. PERHAPS OTHERS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I ASSUMED I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE A DAMAGED ITEM, TOO. BUT IF THERE WERE FIVE OTHERS, THEN 4% WERE RECEIVED DAMAGED. However when boxing up over 150 units at the same time...there may be a mistake made...we are only human! If you didn't receive something...simply contact HP and they will take care of it immediately...again no questions asked! Instead of complaining here why not contact the individuals who can actually solve your problem?
I WILL.

Concerning your damaged item...I talked with Paul this morning at length. So far we have shipped out a very large number of these and (so far) have only had 5 units that were defective. Keep in mind this item was custom fabricated for this specific trick...so naturally there are going to be a few mistakes. HP would never knowingly send out a damaged item and ALL 5 individuals that received a damaged item were immediately sent a replacement via NEXT DAY air (for free). As far as I am concerned that is what I call customer service.

I WILL CONSIDER HOW I WILL AVAIL MYSELF OF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Concerning the "performance clip" that you were disappointed about not seeing...well I NEVER said this would come with a performance clip...go back and read the ad. I am not sure how I can disappoint you by not giving you something that I never said I would? I have already explained myself on this and will not repeat it again. If after reading my entire audience tested script, watching the 2+ hours of DVD instructions, giving you MY custom music for the effect, teaching several ways to use this in conjunction with other routines (such as Lemon Game), revealing my magic castle close up and parlor acts, sharing my resource links for costumes and other additional props...if you can't come up with a routine...then perhaps this is just not for you my friend! (IMHO, THIS IS A DREADFUL WAY TO ADDRESS A CUSTOMER), I don’t know how much more of myself or this routine I could have shared… IMHO, A COUPLE OF PERFORMANCE CLIPS. I UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONS, HOWEVER, I DISAGREE. OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME THAT PREVIOUS PRODUCTS OF YOURS HAD PERFORMANCE CLIPS, WHY? I DID NOT FEEL DECEIVED THAT THERE WAS NO PERFORMANCE CLIP, JUST DISSAPPOINTED. I BELIEVE IT WOULD HAVE ENHANCED YOUR PRODUCT AND ADDED VALUE. I CAN SEE YOUR POINT OF VIEW. IT HAS MERITS. HOWEVER, IF YOUR OTHER PRODUCTS DID INCLUDED PERFORMANCE CLIPS WILL YOU REMOVE THEM IN FUTURE EDITIONS BECAUSE OF YOUR PHILOSOPHY TO AVOID PERFORMANCE-CLONING. I THINK THAT THERE ARE FEW MAGICIANS WHO DIDN'T GO THROUGH A PHASE OF CLONING ONE OF THEIR FAVORITES, AND I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO AVOID THIS. IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST BUSINESS DECISION FOR YOU, HOWEVER.

On that note...I have already spoken with Paul this morning and he is waiting for your phone call...just drop him a line and he will be more than happy to refund your money. Again, that is what I call customer service!

I WILL CONTACT HIM.

We have gone back and checked all the remaining inventory...every item is in perfect working condition. If however there is anyone else out there who has any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Hocus Pocus 1-800-407-4040 immediately and they will take care of you...100%! Smile

Take care,
Cody S. Fisher

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO MY POST AND OTHERS. I DID FIND THE PRODUCT HAS VALUE. IT IS CLEVER AND INNOVATIVE. THIS IS AN ADVANCE ON BILL IN LEMON. I WISH YOU CONTINUED SUCCESS WITH THIS EFFECT.

IN ADDITION TO THE DESIRE (NOT EXPECTATION) TO SEE A PERFORMANCE CLIP ONE AREA I MAY HAVE MISSED OR DIDN'T FIND WAS A STRATEGY FROM THE CREATOR TO HANDLE ONE POSSIBLE ANGLE PROBLEM. I CAN THINK OF SOME STRATEGIES TO HANDLE THIS, BUT WANTED TO HEAR FROM YOU ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY WHEN A SPECTATOR IS ON THE STAGE, I WONDER HOW THIS WAS ADDRESSED BY YOU. I GUESS A CLIP WOULD HAVE LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR STRATEGY(IES).

I AM SORRY I DID NOT BEHAVE LIKE A PROPER CUSTOMER.

[/quote]
Frank
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Squando,

I apologise if my post offended you...I was simply to reacting to your partial negative first post. Let's start over Squando...clean slate...all is forgotten.

Thanks for your positive comments about the effect...I really do appreciate that. If you decide to keep this please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.

Take care,
Cody

Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Kenodad

Regarding your request, I have not had time to play with this as yet since I am waiting for my gimmick to be replaced. I have no experience with the other routines so I cannot give you much help other than to say that the DVD is as comprehensive as you can get. Cody covers every detail so thoroughly that you will be hard pressed to think of further questions. I know that I will use this, unlike many expensive magical items that sit on shelves or are tucked away in closets.
The banter regarding a performance video has gotten way out of hand in this thread. I really don't believe that a good performer thinks he needs a video to "instruct" him.
To assume that those who would have liked to see one are trying to be "clones" or not "real magicians" is moronic and childish. Having been involved in magic for more than 50 years, I more than likely have more magic books in my collection than most, and I still appreciate watching a performance to see what I should strive for.......not to copy or clone!
Anyone who spends $300 on a routine is not making a frivolous purchase, nor do I think that they are dilettante's. So let us stop lecturing others about the "desire" to see it performed.
When I was a kid, I saw Cardini on TV and from that day on I was hooked on magic. After I learned how to do what he did from my first magic book...Neil's Modern Conjurer, I still wanted to watch the master more. Unfortunately, in those days there were no videos to satisfy that desire. Isn't it the performance of magic that stirs our juices? Books can teach but performance inspires. And lets be honest here,,,,this is the video age and the technology available today is different from 20 years ago. I myself would rather have a book than a video when I learn magic, I actually hate instructional DVD's because you can't return to a thought or point made as easily as you can in a book but love to watch performers perform....perhaps Cody should have done this whole thing in book form...lol.
I am not going to comment again about this. I agree with you kenodad when you say that you like to see a performance video "just to see a good performer interact with laypersons"
Case closed!! Buy the the *** trick! It's a keeper!!
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
I received this routine yesterday, and have had a lot of fun just messing around with it. I too, received one that was slightly broken, but is was only where the inner part of the gimmick connected to the outer. Those of you who have the routine will know what I mean. Nothing some good old super glue couldn't fix. Anyways, the routine is worth every penny of the $300 price tag. Not the props, obviously, but the routining.

Or more specifically, the OPTIONS that it gives you as a performer. I can think of so many things that I can do with this, so many ways to present it. Cody has thought it all out for those who want to take the "easy" way out, but for those of you who want to take time out for the REAL WORK behind the presentation, this will be hard to beat.

Originality: 10/10
Routine: 10/10
Props: 6/10

Overall: 10/10

WHAT? A 6/10 for props, but 10/10 overall? Yes, for a few reasons. First, my gimmick was slightly broken. Not to the point where I must send it in, but broken nontheless. Also, the sealing gimmick had to be changed due to some legal issues. Once more, those who bought the routine will know what I am talking about. I plan on trying to make my own, since I don't know how I feel about what is included. Sorry if this seems a little cryptic, but I am trying to guard the secrets behind the routine.

However, the potential is there for this routine to easily become a staple, if not the most powerful routine, in any act.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
So the sealing gimmick could be illegal?
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Uh . . . not quite. Let me rephrase: the sealing gimmick has a discrepancy that will go unnoticed by the public eye. However, I always prefer to be safe, rather than sorry, and will be doctoring the gimmick slightly. This is not necessary for the routine, however.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For those that have written me privately asking why in this thread I brought up this effect and now that is available I have not bought and reviewed it, that is a fair question

1) I have for the past 8 years purchased effects created by Cody Fisher. Some from dealers and others from Cody himself. The effects are part of my working repertoire.

2) I have not purchased this effect due to the fact that I’m dealing with a family matter. I will do so as soon as I get caught up financialy. We all have obsticals and trials in life and these are what make us stronger, so thank you for your support.

As far as the integrity of Cody Fisher and his products, I can tell you that he is a Magician second and a Family man and a standup Human being first. I’ve never met Cody nor have any financial stake in any products sold, but I can tell you that his integrity is beyond reproach!

Best,
Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I received this to the UK this week.

Yes there was a slight delay but Cody always answered my emails and explained that he was waiting for the DVD's so in my eyes its something that is out of his control...no big deal!

I have to say the whole idea of Cody's is an excellent solution and concept for BIL you really don't get much easier than this...top stuff. The materials supplied are perfectly suitable for the job and only a few minor adjustments have to be made before you can get to work...this may the deter the straight out the box push button magic merchants that don't like practice or preparation but then its not for this type of performer its a real working routine for working performers.

The wonderful thing about Cody's idea is that it immediately inspires you to find other ways to utlise his devious method. Cody tips his method that he used at the Magic castle which fried those watching...this is very clever indeed

In my eyes this was money well spent the DVD's are very comprehensive and a lot of detail is covered that will iron out any possibly wrinkles before you even get to work with this.

Highly recommended for any serious working performer....though don't expect any James Bond type gadgets to arrive this is devious, clever magic thinking and excellent routine construction that will fry your audiences...they will find it very hard to back track with this method.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
My tax money should hit the bank monday ... ill be one ordering this right away! but I have one question those that have received broken props ( I have heard a few ) did you order from cody or hocus?
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello Joshua,

All Bet Your Bucks are shipped directly from Hocus Pocus as we are the mfg. of this effect. Regarding the broken units. This was an isolated issue and only a few units that were shipped had this problem.Unfortunately during any mfg. process something like this can occur. This is a quality prop that is designed to be used. Hocus Pocus has replaced any defective units and there should be no further issues. Thanks again to everyone who has supported this project!

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Thanks for the update paul!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hey Joshua.
Never mind about the broken gimmick.
Get one, you will never regret it.
It's more than worth the price.
Richard
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
My 'Bet Your Bucks' kit landed with me here in the UK three days ago. All I can say is, it is awesome! The idea, the routine, the DVD, the script, the props, all absolutely awesome. Every single detail is covered and although I will not perform this for a couple of months, until I have the patter and timing off to a tee, I can already see that the response is going to be hilarious as well as being a complete baffler. Everything is clean, fair and the participant is even given the two halfs of the lemon as a gift...they can examine them until the cows come home..nothing to find at all, Brilliant!
When I have a couple of perfomances under my belt, I will post a more in depth review here on the Café.

Paul.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
My Bet Your Bucks arrived Friday and I will echo the praises that other magicians have given Cody Fisher’s new effect. In case you’re wondering…yes, it really is that good! This is my first bill to lemon effect, so I honestly can’t compare it with other bill to lemons out on the market. You receive most of the props that you need to perform BYB and the other items that you may need can be purchased easily and some of them are things that you may have lying around your house already.

The utility device included with the DVD is nothing like you would expect. I know when I first saw it, I was thrown off-guard and I kept looking through my box to see if there was something I was missing. It should last you a lifetime and on the DVD, Cody gives you proper storage tips to make sure the device doesn’t break on you.

Speaking of the DVD, it was very well done. It is thorough and as others have already mentioned, contains everything you need to know about BYB. Patter, handling, costumes, you name it, and it’s there. Cody instructs the camera to zoom in on certain parts for clarity, which I found helpful. My favorite section on the DVD has to be his justification for having the spectator signing the bill.

To keep this review short and sweet, if you’re still debating whether or not to buy Bet Your Bucks, stop. The ad is accurate and BYB works exactly as described. It is a strong, clean, and entertaining bill to lemon routine, which I definitely will be using.

Cody has raised the bar high for magic effects this year. I think this will be a strong contender for “Best Effect of 2007.” By the way, Cody is a stand-up guy as MagicChris mentioned. If you ever have a question about BYB, he is easily accessible. He is one of the nicest and friendliest magicians I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with. Thank you again Cody for sharing this gem with magicians!
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Can't help wieghing in again. I feel I should again make it clear that I don't for a moment doubt Cody's integrity, nor that of Hocus Pocus. I've dealt extensively with both, much to my satisfaction.

I was, though, floored by Kevin's remark that it's no big deal to receive a broken gaff,..... since you can fix it yourself with super glue! Politeness is a virtue, but this is way beyond the requirements of courtesy. You pay $300.00 for a trick and it's not in perfect condition, you send it back. Paul wouldn't hesitate to replace it. Paul says that the defective gaff issue has now been decisively dealt with, and I take him at his word. But the attitude toward excessive tolerance of manufacturing problems was almost predictable before the trick was released: there were VERY many posts praising the trick and expressing with absolute certainty that it would be outstanding - *before* the thing had been released. The best among us has produced lemons (play on words unintended): witness Porper's coin wand with the bulging ends, and some of the stuff recently endorsed by Paul Harris.

And I think that Martello is right that it is insulting to suppose that those who expect a demo do so only to be better mimics. We learn from one another, and seeing an actual handling can be hugely instructive even to those who choose to routine the effect differently.

Finally, I don't accept the idea that the *routine* is what people who desire a demo are exclusively interested in. Demos are increasingly available prior to purchase, e.g. as part of the ad. For me, the demo often tells whether the trick's execution involves moves, movements, misdirection techniques, etc. that I personally find unconvincing or awkward. The demo for Gilligan's Prediction killed the trick in the eyes of more than a few potential purchasers.

Bill in Lemon utterly wows my audiences with my simple handling: I tell them they are about to see a transposition of two entirely different objects under impossible conditions. I then fold the signed bill, and as I hold the bill in my fingers I throw a gaffed hank over it. A spectator is asked to grab the bill through the hank -they can feel it- and lower the hank gently onto the table, "so there is also room for something bigger than the bill under the hank". As I'm giving these brief instructions, I reach under my performance table and bring out a velvet bag, which I toss to a spectator to examine. I load the lemon the instant before I bring out the velvet bag. So far, no mention of a lemon. After they are satisfied that the bag is empty, I bring out the lemon and drop it into the bag held by the spec. I repeat that the 2 objects will change places. Hank is whisked away, but no lemon... and no bill either. As if in trouble, I say "Well, the lemon is not *that* important, it's the bill that counts, so let's check the bag." I reach into the bag and produce... the lemon of course. I assure them that the bill must be in there, and would someone please find it in the bag. They don't of course. I look more embarrassed still, and there are jokes about the poor spec having trusted a magician. Everyone's pretty involved at this point. "Well now wait a second - I *did* say that the bill would transpose into the bag... and the *lemon* was in the bag, so maybe I was right about the location of the bill after all." As I say this I produce the knife and begin to cut the lemon open. You know the rest: "...no _ _ _ _ _ _' way!!!!"

Now look folks, you may not care for this routine at all. My point is merely that I often use it as a closer and it kills 'em every single time. I don't call attention to the lemon at all until 1/3 of the way into the routine, and then only as something that will change places with the bill. One thing I can't do this way of course is to load the lemon in front of them, i.e. with the lemon in full view. But this never occurs to them.

Now *maybe* if I had the lemon visible all the while and loaded it under their noses they'd be even MORE wowed. Maybe. But before I'd buy a version that allowed me to do this, I'd have to see it done, or know how it is done. Because there must be no unnecessary movements, no filler or jokes or movements that are really designed to allow the in-the-open but unseen load to be executed. In my routine, given the 2-objects-change-places premise, everything I do is entirely natural. The hank, the lemon and the knife are all retrieved from under my table. I put stuff behind my table and take things from behind it all through my act.

Now if I knew that every move and action required in Cody's (or Scott's) version is as ordinary (natural) as in the routine I now use, I'd very seriously consider a purchase.

My point is that a demo would almost certainly tell me what I want to know in this connection. -- As folks have often said on the Café, BIL can kill for the cost of a lemon. I'd love to have the lemon out there from the beginning, but I gotta see the performance first.

Thank you for reading this overlong post.

Best,
Alan
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your support! To everyone who has this...please feel free to PM me with your new ideas and suggestions. I have already gotten a few e-mails with some really clever ideas for BYB. My goal is not keep all them for myslef...but rather make them available (for free) to anyone who owns BYB.

In the next several weeks I will probalby have enough ideas for a .pdf that I can share with you guys via a password protected area on my site...so keep the ideas comming!

Cody S. Fisher

Hanno
View Profile
New user
Austria
23 Posts

Profile of Hanno
Today I received the parcel in Austria. I have worked with nearly every product and methode for bill in lemon. And by the way, I didn´t expect something realy new. But I was heavily suprised.
This is an excellent solution, different to anything I have read or seen in the past.
Yes you can load the bill in the lemon in front of the audience.
Yes the spectator can cut the lemon
yes the spectator can keep the two halfs of the lemon
Its one of the tricks you are not disapointed when you know the secret.
The instruction is very detailed and clear. I am very glad Cody didn´t include a performance clip. I don´t want to be influenced by his performance.
And for the sceptics: When you would see a clip you would have no clue how this trick works.
The best ist, that you can adaped this methode to your existing routine and rise this effekt in a outstanding Trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cody Fisher's Bill to Lemon being released (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL