The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » A Good Branson Act? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of solidoak
I'm taking my family to Branson, Missouri early next year and would love to take in a good magic performance. Does anyone know what top acts are there now?

Rick
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Last I heard, there were Kirby van Burch, Taylor Reed, and the Hamners. Bart Rockett may also be back in Branson. I'm pretty sure that Darren Romeo and Brett Daniels have moved on. I've never seen Taylor Reed, but the Hamners have always been good. Something fairly major seems to always go wrong with Kirby's show. My family all enjoys Bart Rockett (he is the owner and performer of the double levitation).

Whatever you do, though, don't miss the Jim Stafford Show and Dixie Stampede. Shoji Tabuchi also has a great show, as does Neil Goldberg's Cirque.

If you need a neat place to stay, check out the Bradford Inn.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Thanks for the detailed information. It really helps!
And I'm definately planning to catch Jim Stafford.
Thanks again,
Rick
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
I live near Branson and have seen many of the shows. I personally believe that the Hamner/Barber show is one of the best shows in Branson. I used to think the Jim Stafford show was the best but the last time my family and I went we were very disappointed. Take this for what it is worth.

We will be going to see a fairly new magic show in Branson this week, Taylor Reed. I don’t really know what to expect.

David
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
I'm waiting for Brett Daniels to come out with his new show.
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of solidoak
David, after you see it, please let me know how you like the Reed show,and how you think it compares to the others.
Thanks,
Rick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Romeo is still there.
The Hamners are there.
Justin Flom.
Taylor Reed.
Bart Rocket.
Kirby Van Birch.
Plus the Showboat Branson Bell has a magician.

Yep just what the town needs another magic act. Good luck. (I live here!)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 17:56, amosmc wrote:
....Something fairly major seems to always go wrong with Kirby's show....

Like....? Details man! Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Twice the power went out - once during Interlude, and the other time during his Graffiti Wall segment. The third time, something was evidently wrong with Interlude as he was beginning the illusion, and he chose not to continue.

The Graffiti Wall was particularly uninpressive with the lights out... Smile

I still have never seen Interlude performed live...

In all fairness to Kirby, he spent thirty minutes or so after the show visiting with our children and showing them lots of close-up stuff, so they think he hung the moon.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks for the specifics. I'm certain that if I were ever in Branson, I'd have to see his show. But then again, he'd probably be dark that week. Smile Happened to me the last time I was in Vegas - wanted to see Rick Thomas but he was "away on a family matter".... life is cruel sometimes.
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Hey Dannydoyle,
Out of all those acts, which do you recommend the most? I'd love to see them all but I think my family may only be up for one or two. I'm leaning toward the Hamners as David Tower suggests, but I'd love your preference also.

Thanks again,
Rick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well mind you I have opinions that are affected by friendships. So if you keep that disclaimer in mind, I will tell you what I think.

First off as for the Hamners. For me they fall into the JUST GO category. Absolute must see in my book. I felt this way the first time I saw the show and paid to see it. Now as it works out a few years later Dave and Jim Barber and Denise are good friends of mine. They are flat out the nicest people in that whole town, probably state. They are wonderfull giving people and just meeting them is worth it. The show is a fantastic mix of the magic of the Hamners, and the unbelievable Ventriliquist ability of Jim Barber. There is a reason they have both earned "Merlin Awards" this year. Not going to do trick reviews here. Just go. Not a classic box pusing show. Which is why I like it.

As for Romeo. Also a very nice kid. Very talented singer. Again he is a show I feel you should go to. BUT if you just want to see boxes pushed arround bam bam bam, not the show for you. It is a unique show and I happen to like it and him.

The rest I am not going to say either way. You asked for 2 and those are my 2.

Although on the Showboat they have a great show, and cruise and meal, and a great magician as well as Todd Oliver. Not a bad afternoon meal.

Hope this helps. These are only opinions, not willing to debate them mind you, but they are my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Your post was exactly what I wanted. And thanks again to all the others who gave opinions on this topic.
Rick
JBCONNECTED
View Profile
New user
TEXAS
74 Posts

Profile of JBCONNECTED
I went to Branson this summer. The only two magic shows I got to see were Kirby Van Birch and Taylor Reed.

I saw Kirby Van Birch's daytime show. I don't know if his night show is different or not, but he put on a really good show (no problems).

While Taylor Reed doesn't have the facility that Kirby Van Birch has, he put on a very good show. He actually talked to me about magic for a good while after the show. He is the one who convinced me to stop lurking on this site and join in.

I wanted to see the Hamners, but there are only so many hours in a day.
Thanks,
J. PAUL BELL
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1016 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I just got back from the "Magic Show" Conference in Branson.
I saw 6 shows last week.

Many attendees, myself included, liked Justin Flom's "Magic Parlor" show the best.

It's hard to compare some of the shows, so at the end of the week I started asking the other attendees: "If you were sending someone to Branson, and they could only see one magic show....which one?" Everyone said, "The Magic Parlor."

I didn't see it last year (in 2006, his opening summer), but those who saw it for the 2nd year in a row said it is like a whole new show, and greatly improved.

So, if you're headed to Branson this summer, take my advice and see this show.

http://justinflom.com/

By the way, I am not affiliated with this show in any way, but wanted to relay my experiences, as I'd like to see the show succeed.

Justin doesn't have billboards around town, so it's easy to miss.

If you see the current show, report back here...!

P.S. I did NOT see the Hamner/Barber show this year, but I know a lot of people liked that show as well.
We also saw Darren Romeo for the 3rd year in a row....and that was extremely well done, too!
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Preshow Announcements Sample & INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Rindercella Story

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have done the Branson thing many times, and overall, I like Kirby the best. That said, please know that each show has its notable points, and most of the entertainers in Branson are very good. Have fun.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have a professional Café friend from The Café, "Professor Piper". Consult him first, and he'll give you the lowdown on what's what in Branson! He's right there among the people!

Steve Thomas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » A Good Branson Act? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL