The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Flipping A Double From Mechanics Grip To The Fingertips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Holding a double face-up in left hand mechanics grip, I need to bring it in perfect alignment to the fingertips of the left hand in order to display the double as a single card (the right hand is occupied and holds another card).

At the moment I cannot insure that the double does not split...

Does anyone have any tips or can point me to the right literature? Perhaps this move is in a Kaps book (a la Kaps' homing card)?

Any help greatly appreciated.
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
My first question would be. Is the left hand also holding a deck? I will work it out as soon as you let me know.
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Just the double held in the left, no deck.
sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
I've been doing stuff like this for awhile. It isn't 100% but it's worth playing with...

One is I'm sure something from Steranko, but I don't have the text. I "think" I added something to it but maybe not. Left forefinger curls in pushes up right where the thumb on top is pushing down. Then you stretch those fingers out as the other fingers move away. What I think I added is baring down with the thumb so it's pushing also against the inside of the hand. You won't get the card out very far though. This is veeeerry knacky and it'll split for some time.

Another thing I've been doing is a bit hard to explain, but might be what you need. Double is held in a deep dealing grip. Your left thumb goes underneath the card while the left fingertips push down on it keep pressure. The card is levered to be flipped over like you're turning the pages of a book from the back to the front. The card should be pinched between your middle and thumb now basically. Your forefinger then rotates the card amongst these axis until it can't. The card is at your fingertips, not 100% natural but it would fly.

Also with both of these, moving your entire hand helps also, as in turning palm up during the move. For the second, my hand turns slightly palm down. Maybe I'll video tape it sometime. I don't know if it's original, but give it a shot.

Is it absolutely necessary for the card to end up at fingertips? If you're just displaying it, getting it to fingertip dealing position and turning your palm down while showing the card I think would be adequate (think Kap's Color Change).
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Look at the "3 on the table, '1' in the hand" phase of Arnaud(twins) Invisible Palm routine hosted at MagicVideoDepot.com for nearly the exact move you want(only changed because the card is face up).

There are other ways, but the "Snap" is very nice.

The other way of course being going into a straddle grip and then use thumb to revolve until Thumb-middle-third fingers grip the double which will also provide perfect alignment.

Finally though, if you have the card faceup in the hand, just display it from mechanics......
cardaficionado
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of cardaficionado
There is a nice move by Vernon which solves your Problem. It is described in
The Vernon Chronicles Vol.1, if I remember correctly in the "The Two-Thirteen Trick".
(i think the move is also described in one of his other books, but I can't look it up
now.)
There you use your left middle finger to bring the card(s) to the fingertips.
cardaficionado
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of cardaficionado
The Vernon Chronicles Vol.1, if I remember correctly in the "The Two-Thirteen Trick".
(i think the move is also described in one of his other books, but I can't look it up
now.)
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Check out card stunts by gregory wilson.
you'll find there what you are looking for.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 09:48, cardaficionado wrote:
now.)

If this is the move I'm thinking of, Vernon also uses it in "Jumping Jack."
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Lee Asher's Non-acrobatic version of the "Divingboard Double" is also very good when your right hand is busy.

It basically is a method of side jogging a double in perfect alignment. You can also put a little bit of a bend in the card, which acts sort of like the spooky/soft double.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 10:58, Chris SD wrote:
Lee Asher's Non-acrobatic version of the "Divingboard Double" is also very good when your right hand is busy.
I believe the questioner is holding JUST the double card in mechanics grip, and not the deck itself.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Daegs is refering to "the snap move" which is part of the invisible palm routine in volume 3 of The Art of Astonishment on page 237. This is a nice move if you are holding the double in a tent vanish position. try it out and make sure to curl the first finger so it's in contact with the back of the card the whole way through. If you want still photo's of this move let me know and I'll send them off. Hope this helps. Oz
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Darwin Ortiz has a technique detailed in his "At the Card Table" book.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
The Stuart Gordon method for turning a double may be of some interest. You can find a description in a few different card books, The Cardwright, Jennings '67, and Cardshark (as well as a few other places).

Paul Cummins has some excellent finesses for this move but, as far as I know, they are unpublished (If you see him, ask him!).

Rich Aviles
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 18:31, rawdawg wrote:
Darwin Ortiz has a technique detailed in his "At the Card Table" book.

Dost thou haveth a page #?
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Try page 154 in Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table-The Steranko Move
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Quote:
On 2006-11-30 13:55, BrandonWilliams wrote:
Try page 154 in Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table-The Steranko Move

Muy agradecido!
under the table
View Profile
New user
Detroit
81 Posts

Profile of under the table
I just get a break (or not for this method) and do a push off double lift. from there just move it to the fingers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Flipping A Double From Mechanics Grip To The Fingertips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL