The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the cold! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
I do a lot of street magic here in the summer and fall, but I wouldn't try it in our Canadian winters. It's too cold! Nobody would stop to watch!!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Just done a nine day run at the Marine Museum in Swansea Wales,,,,cold!!! The gas in the bottles froze up, the diesel in the transport froze up,the cups were sticking to the fingers,balloons were bursting after a single twist,people would not wait around long enough for the standard show so 8-10 minets at most was in order, hats were low and even the sheep started to look good.

Got booked for next year,,,,but under heated tented conditions.

Ken.
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Wow Kondini..that's hard core
here and now
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The title to this thread sounds like an old hymn.

"Busking in the cold,
Busking in the cold,
We freeze our **** off
Busking in the cold."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I could have actually gone busking today! It's going to be 64 degrees, breaking a record set in 1912!

Two points: I bring my kid to the library on Saturdays, and I have to go to work this afternoon. *sigh*

BUT!

I made a resolution to work harder on my magic this year, and hopefully come spring (April/May), I'll be up on Thayer Street or at the WaterFires doing something!

Wish me luck and resolve!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2749 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 11:18, BAH1313 wrote:
Do your best to keep your Hands warm.

How do your hands get cold in plus 10 degrees Celsius? Sheesh. I must be from Canada or something. Smile
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Hi Dak,

I also live in the UK, and am soon to start busking. I am putting together a short 10 min show for a small crowd. How do you go about finding work at fairs, etc. - i.e. where do you find out about them, who do you contact, and how do you pitch yourself to them? I understand I am getting ahead of myself here, but I was hoping to have my act polished up for the summer season. Also, what general tips do you have for a first-time busker with a short close-up type act?

Big thanks,
Chris
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi magicalaurie,
Just out of interest, are you a street performer?
Mario
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Have PMed you, Chris.

Dominick
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 11:08, Mario Morris wrote:
Hi magicalaurie,
Mario

I've done some street performing in the past, and 10 degrees ain't that cold. We were at 5 degrees a couple of days ago here, and you could see a lot of people out without a coat and a few in short sleeves. It's part of Canadian pride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
In Myrtle Beach, South Carolina ... 10 degrees is a state of emergency.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2749 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Mario,

Thanks for your question. I'm a street performer on occasion.

The temps have been around plus 10 Celsius here the last few weeks - global warming, indeed. It's been too warm out for a sweater, even. As JeffMac said, t-shirts. Smile
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 15:10, JeffMac wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 11:08, Mario Morris wrote:
Hi magicalaurie,
Mario

I've done some street performing in the past, and 10 degrees ain't that cold. We were at 5 degrees a couple of days ago here, and you could see a lot of people out without a coat and a few in short sleeves. It's part of Canadian pride.

I remember the star of the television series "Forever Knight" talking about having the film freeze in the cameras, it got so cold! I don't care what kind of pride you have...10 degrees is COLD!

I have thin blood. Anything below 27, and I get back under the covers!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2749 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
This was taken last year. Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Cool, it is a rare thing to see a female street performer, which leaves a huge gap in the market. Can you say what you do, other than juggle snow and have hands that are cold as ice?

Talking about the bloody weather, I have not been able to work in Scotland now for three days. We have been battered with heavy rain and winds. When I have been doing my show, I have been stripping down to my lycra underwear for the escape. So, I suppose it can't be that cold in sunny Scotland.
Mario

PS: It has warmed up a bit, 34° F / 1° C just now.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2749 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, Mario, I'm fairly new to this style of performing, but I like ropes, coins, and juggling. Working on increasing my repertoire. Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
How do you finish your show?
Mario
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2749 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
With a "Thank you." Smile
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mandrake, the 10 degrees they are talking about is 10 C, which is about 50 F. So, it is not that cold.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Mario: I did my escape show at -5 C here in Sweden some weeks ago. *** it was cold. During the escape, you live, but reality catches on after the hat. Same for you?

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the cold! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL