The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the cold! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Dear All,

long time since I've been on here, (how are you Vernon/James?? no doubt in some sunny location??).
Normally my street kit is packed and kept tucked up for the winter. Alas I don't travel around the world catching the summer times!
I've been asked to perform at a few Xmas Faires/Markets here in UK and have accepted. Anyone have any tips on performing in cold conditions (we're talking about 10 degrees Celcius not sub zero temps!)

Kindest Regards

Dominick
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Dominic,
Do your best to keep your Hands warm. I use instant warming packets. You can find them at any sporting goods store. I place one in my pocket to keep my hands warm and then I use a larger one in my cups, as they are thermal conductors and can get very cold very fast. Picking these up will only make your hands cold and screw up a ton of sleights you may be using.Plus, it's pretty uncomfortable handling freezing cups!
Wearing a hat probably doesn't even need to be mentioned, but make sure you do.
Also, don't be afraid to wear an overcoat in between your shows. Just take it off when you start a show and put it back on after.

I work in as cold as 30-40 ferenheit (spelling?) and have made my mistakes with the cold. These are things that have helped me over the years.
As for your shows, try to shorten them a tad. Give them only your best couple of effects and get that Hat down! People don't like t stand still in te cold, same as in the Summer heat.
So, I guess the moddo here is work fast and work smart!
Cheers!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Thanks BAH,

I'll get a few of those warming packets, hadn't thought of putting them in cups but GOOD IDEA!

Yep my woollen bowler will come in handy in this weather!

"Work fast and work smart" I like it!

Dominick
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Well, my tip is - don't juggle. But here in Sweden, the Christmas fairs that I will attend to is performed in freezing cold. The hands go numb in seconds. I wouldn't even think about magic, so I do mostly comedy and escapes. I will try to do the linking rings.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
I've just recently seen some buskers using portable outdoor heaters. At first I though tough it up it's not that cold yet. then I realised how many people were watching half to get near the heater. They cleaned up.
you can rent them at any large party supply store.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Hey now that's a great idea.

We have these large ones like umbrellas here in the uk that are really good I could have my table under one of them!!!!

alas not sure how I'd transport the huge thing!

Thankfully it won't be as cold as Sweden Arkadia!

Regards

Dominick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do like the top guys do... move to warmer placaes, like Gazzo in Florida.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Thanks Pete but as I said I prefer to stay at home (so does my wife!).

I've not busked in winter here before and wll only do it a few times this year as a trial.

Roll on May 2007!

Kindest Regards

Dominick
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
It was actually rather a pleasant day here in UK yesterday while out performing. Not too cld and not windy either!

Hat wasn't bad too.

Hopefully we'll have a mild December!

Regards

Dominick
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I hit the streets this afternoon - freezing cold! The hat was okey here aswell - considering the fact that it was dark, cold and people could barely hear me. I have to invest in an amp. I usually don't need one - but I realised that if I am going to do this all season - an amp will be essential. There's something with the cold and my voice - I don't know what.

I tried some new stuff aswell - worked nice.

Fat hats!

/Ark
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I avoid doing outdoor shows, when the temperatures go below 60 F. My hands tend to get stiff, if there's a breeze. It's no wonder that I only busk if I'm testing new material.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I have now moved to Edinburgh, Scotland talk about cold and wind but I love this place.
Mario
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
http://www.canadiantire.ca/gateway/portable-heaters.htm
this is more of what I was talking about they had two of these on a lighting stand I'm sure the cannon style would work too.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Try doing balloon twisting in the cold. There have been a few times when I stretched them prior to inflating, and they stayed stretched. Had to blow on them to thaw them out.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-12-05 12:22, Mario Morris wrote:
I have now moved to Edinburgh, Scotland talk about cold and wind but I love this place.
Mario

It's cold in Edinburgh in July. Aren't you glad you didn't move to Lewis. I can just see you trying to busk on Sunday afternoon in Stornoway. Those "high church" people would give birth to baby bovines!

I was in Stornaway about 3 years ago, during August. I went to Callanish and stood in the center of the big stone circle. The wind whipping around there was miserable!!!!

Have fun!

Dinna gang regimental.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yes it is bloody cold but I have been getting a warm reception. Some big drops as well. On the other hand I qwite today half day as I thought my cold fingers were going to snap off.
Mario
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I did two circle shows today. Money was crap - I had fun though. Cold is killing street performance!

/Ark
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
We had a lovely day here yesterday, sunny and no wind. (looks like being cold/windy and rainy today though!)
Had a great few shows, the event organiser came up afterwards and said I'd had biggest crowd she's seen of faire which was rather exciting! (I've still got a long way before I'm up to anywhere near some of you guys crowd size though Smile )

Dominick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-12-09 11:08, Arkadia wrote:
I did two circle shows today. Money was crap

/Ark

See? If it was the other way around, you would be a rich man, and you would never have to busk again!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
True, still - sometimes the hat sucks somtimes it doesn't. This weekend was crap big time. I left after one show yesterday.

/Ark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the cold! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL