The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why all the hype about Hilliard's Greater Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Is the Kaufmann expanded version worth it? Richard mentioned he's considereing re-releasing it next year.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 21:55, todsky wrote:
Is the Kaufmann expanded version worth it? Richard mentioned he's considereing re-releasing it next year.

More pages/material in Kaufman's version. In my opinion greater value then the original.
IF Kaufman is going to reprint it, don't hesitate BUY IT!
Its my favourite magical book hands down.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know if I would call this book card heavy. You have to put the book into its context. At the time it was written, card magic was extremely popular. Trick decks were coming out at a rate of about a dozen or more per year. Some of the card items in the book were revealed there for the first time. Even with all the card magic, which is barely over half the book, there was still a lot of good coin material -- the retention vanish was explained there -- mentalism, illusions, stage effects. It was a cross section of what was going on in magic.

When I got back into magic after a 10 year hiatus, I went on an extended search for a copy of this book. I'd had one back during the 1950's when you could still get them for about $15.00 or so. Now, they were costing $185.00 and up. And that was IF you could find a copy.

It's a great reference book.

Most of the additional material in the Kaufman book is about a few items that were left out of the original editions, as well as correspondence between Hilliard and Jones about what to put into the book, and why. Even if all you have is the original, you will be very happy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I'll get the original, then. I don't need all the extra stuff. Once I do find a copy, I think I will have all the books that were on my wish list. Then I can start putting my money towards some less important things, such as food and rent.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Also note that at one point, the book was released in five volumes as The Greater Magic Library. If you find a copy for under $50 or so, you may want to check to make sure it's not one of the individual volumes.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
Is the 'Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard' -- the book that Kaufman sells -- is this the additional stuff that was in Kaufman's edition of Greater Magic?

Or are the 'Lost Notebooks' something else altogether? (I have the 'Lost Notebooks,' btw -- somewhere on my 'unread' shelf -- but I don't have the Kaufman edition of GM.)

Also -- did Kaufman do any editing of the core text of GM? Did he update and/or correct anything?
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 14:56, boinko wrote:
Is the 'Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard' -- the book that Kaufman sells -- is this the additional stuff that was in Kaufman's edition of Greater Magic?

Or are the 'Lost Notebooks' something else altogether? (I have the 'Lost Notebooks,' btw -- somewhere on my 'unread' shelf -- but I don't have the Kaufman edition of GM.)

Also -- did Kaufman do any editing of the core text of GM? Did he update and/or correct anything?

The Lost Notebooks are entirely different material, I believe. Also, I don't think Kaufman made any changes to the core text of GM -- the just added a section in the back of additional material, as already described.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Jim is correct about the section is added to the back. It's called "More Greater Magic". I pull GM off the shelf every time I'm researching something. It's not card heavy as was mentioned earlier. It's a must have if you are serious about having a magic library. It's a very important book.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, Florida
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why all the hype about Hilliard's Greater Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL