The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card table top (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have one table that has slots in the rear edge to hold jumbo coins. Each has a slot at the lower edge so my finger can make friction contact with a desired coin and slide it toward the rear and out the slot where it can be stolen beneath a few fanned cards, a silk or whatever. This same table has edging on only three sides, the back is without. to avoid raw edges underneath, make the top in layers. Affix the working surface to the upper layer and the lower layer seals in the raw edges. Your edge trim can be cut with a dado so that it wraps around the edge, holding everything together. Like this:

[===========================]

The lower surface can be covered with vinyl, formica or whatever secondary surface you wish if you give yourself the option of reversing the top. Jim's method sounds slightly similar in that the top is more or less constructed in layers that seal in the junk.

Jim, I like your pencil piston!!

One thing that I have noticed about tables... they all have specific purposes and it is nearly impossible to design a table that perfectly suits all needs. I own many, many tables that I have built. I currently use from seven different tables (not all at the same time), depending on the show, and the venue. Each was designed with a specific use in mind.

An eighth table is awaiting me to finish a different act that I am slowly developing, and I can see a possible need for a ninth and tenth. (My wife buys shoes and purses... I make tables for my show!)

...I didn't even mention those that I have made but no longer use or own!!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Anyone might know who built the table that "L&L" uses on most of their DVD's? This is exactly what I am looking for. Any table builders contact information would help me a great deal. I am looking to build one or have one built or even purchase a good but pre-owned table. The table would be used only for close up sit down magic performances at my home for close friends. I have no idea of how much something like this would cost or where to obtain one. Anyone know of any web links to a builder?
Thanks,
KW
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
We use black jack padding covered with mali cloth or black suede on the tables we build. JoAnne fabrics carries a padded headliner material in different colors. For an idea on the types of tables out there, check out our site http://tabmantables.com
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Jim Zee (Jim Zachary http://www.jimzeemagic.com) built the table you see on the L&L videos. They are expensive, but reasonably priced for what you get.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I had heard that Jim Zee was out of the business. Does any one know if that is fact or not?
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Michael,

I'm not quite following what you're saying about how to avoid raw edges. I'm interested in not having edge trim on the back side as well, so I can lap coins without dragging them across the wood. How are you saying to do this? I have batting as my under layer, and velvet for my surface.

Thanks,

[quote]On 2006-11-30 23:51, Michael Baker wrote:
I have one table that has slots in the rear edge to hold jumbo coins. Each has a slot at the lower edge so my finger can make friction contact with a desired coin and slide it toward the rear and out the slot where it can be stolen beneath a few fanned cards, a silk or whatever. This same table has edging on only three sides, the back is without. to avoid raw edges underneath, make the top in layers. Affix the working surface to the upper layer and the lower layer seals in the raw edges. Your edge trim can be cut with a dado so that it wraps around the edge, holding everything together. Like this:
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Joshua,

I am sending you an email direct that will have some illustrations. Easier than uploading them to my web server.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Billfromoregon,
Thanks for the table information.
KW
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Mine's almost done. I'll put some pictures somewhere soon.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Looking forward to seeing it.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card table top (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL