The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » For a single-O (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061130/ap_o......he_wild3

This is all anybody with some imagination needs...oh wait, this, and advice from that Higley chap!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Harley Harley Harley...my advise would be short and unsweet.
Stay the hell away from LIVE animals. They stink...they draw Heat from the do-gooders and they are basically boring to look at...and they EAT and require care.

So in this case...for a Single-O anyway...better not to ask.

:)
Higley's Doug's Museum
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I would love to have a couple of these for my show but the risks are just too high with wild capture animals. To high a chance of infecting my other animals with something. Now if I could only find some captive breed ones. They would fit very well into the show I am putting together.

Doug, no animals? Boring?!? Sigh. Of course what I am putting together isn't a single-O, but still...

Dave
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Have you seen the single-o where they have a dumpster for the rat cage??!!!! Whoever thought of that was right on! The people go up steps to look in and SEE THE GIANT RAT!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
PtBeast...as a former Bord member of a Zoo Society...annual member of San Diego Zoo as well as Santa Ana Zoo and former owner writer of ZooWest.com (A now defunct site for critical (though positive) reviews of Zoos and Zoological Parks Nation Wide...having been around Circus and even wrestled Tigers not to mention my first documentary I shot (in 8mm) was as a kid at the Staten Island Zoo of a Chimp getting a Root canal (YUCK!)...I can safely say I know the biz and LOVE the biz.
No, animals are NOT boring when presented correctly and above all cared for correctly and are a tremendous educational oportunity for spectators.

Animal shows are the top of the food chain for me. But NOT as a Single-O which purports to offer something freakish and unusual. The customer pays the dollar goes in and a SMELL hits them between the eyes and cleans out the nose and they get a glance at some poor miserable creature laying in a corner of a box with wet urine soaked hay. Downer. Bummer. HEAT from the commitee and the customer...Heat from the press.

Now lets say you know what you are doing and have the background and knowledge to properly care for a creature of whatever kind.

The customer comes in...see's a critter lying in the corner of a box with clean hay. So what. Boring and THE reason why Zoos spend so much dough setting up natural habitats. In reality the critters don't give a *** all that much...it's the show for the public.

Now if you had a Tiny World's Smallest Horse that did an act or some tricks and you know horses that's a whole other ball game and could make a neat little show IF you did it right. But who does that? Generally it's best to say: "Stay away from LIVE displays in the Single-O area. Just not cool...not right and doesn't work these days.

I wish you all the best with your show...like you say...it's not a Single-O. No buts.

By the way: The above does not include the guys that travel around with the Giant Steer and Giant Horse. There is never a smell, they are clean as a whistle and healthy as possible...still a bit underwhelming in the excitement dept. though. And lately the Steers they use seem to get smaller every year. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Doug -- Put that way I not only understand, but agree completely. While my show is still being put together, I have shown reptiles in the past and have always gotten a great reaction. What makes this successful is not simply walking by and seeing an animal, however, but interacting with it. People who have to work up the nerve to pet a python or tegu, or to hold a boa are priceless and often go away more than simply entertained, but enlightened.

I equated your statement with a belief that animal shows were boring and was shocked. I appreciate your concern both for the quality of the show and the care of the critters. Thanks for elaborating.

Dave
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
I run into the Giant Steer/Littlest Hors, Giant Gator folks periodically thorughout the year. The last time was at the rizona State Fair, where the owner himself was parked next to us in the RV lot. He had a giant rolling hotel on wheels and of course we in our 1987, ford Jamboree....
Anyway, nice folks to say the least...Grandpa began on the circuit back in the late 40s and the family has been going around fairs ever since. Business for him has been going down little be little eavery year according to him....could be, but then again with that new RV....

I have to laugh when folks tell me that the Giant Gaots is just an inflatable doll, or its stufed, or dead, or whatever, except real...

Now I have seen the gator and while the beast doesn;t do too much--he is the real macoy! SO I just smile when folks tell me its a blow up gator and say "Well, I duno, I saw them take the gator for a walk just last night..."

abigkahuna
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It's a mirror.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Doug, you're so reflective today...

I did say "with advice from you", and as usual, your advice is on target.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Is this anything like the capybara?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Both mammals. Both rodents. Different continents (at least, originally, and we are now infested).

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Capybara's have become common place in Zoos. For awhile in prior decades they were the shnizizzle on Giant Killer Rat shows. Great art on the front of many of the shows. Still the same stink and disappointment on the inside.

Much more impressive running around a natural habitat, standing tall and swimming in groups. Of course in the zoo situation there is not the mystery and romance associated with chewing off arms and legs of hapless natives. They just eat grass. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Have you heard about the guy that was attacked by a gator in florida yesterday? He was sitting by the lake at four in the morning naked, smoking crack when a gator grabbed onto his arm. I'm very upset as they traped and killed the gator. Now I'm not a SPCA kinda guy but for goodness sakes! This guy was naked, smoking crack in the lake where this gator lived. All the gator did was remove his arm, he spared his life, and yet the gator must die? I'm sorry, it's kindof off topic but I have the flu and the fevor makes me ramble. He was a 12 foot gator.

Retards,
Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They always measure the gator's length, as if it showed how ferocious the poor critter is. Did they measure the guy?

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Yeah, I heard about it too. The story I heard was that the guy was high on crack and wanted to 'pet' the gator. No info on why he was naked. Would've made an EXCELLENT drug-addict blow off!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I think that gators eating nekked crack addicts should be sanctioned, and that the responsible gators should get special treatment.
Killing and innocent creature for doing public service is inexcusable.
Gwyd, Lover of gators, hater of the crack
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Lets have a bit of concern here for the gators diet. Feed the crack addicts and crack ***s to each other....then the resulting mess a day later to the crack dealers.

A little compassion is in order. For the gator of course.

(***s rhymes with 'doors'.)
Higley's Doug's Museum
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
True...We don't need crack addicted gators running around...
What was I thinking.
Gwyd
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thank you Doug for bringing the voice of reason to this discussion. What were you thinking Gwyd? Certainly not a proper diet for the gator!

Seriously, the really sad part of the story is that not only did they put down the gator, but that they are not even sure that the gator that they euthanized is the right one! Retribution? Making the public fell safer? What exactly was the point? *sigh*

Dave
NippleKing
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of NippleKing
Crack addicted gators? I don't think so... The gators would be addicted to crack addicts! The problem is making sure they can identify the crack addict/dealer. Still, the gator's health would be at risk... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » For a single-O (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL