The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I am really mad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someone sent me a link on You Tube that shows Penguin Exposing Matrix. What is this all about? This is nuts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Pete, it gets better. Supposedly Jay Sankey exposed the trick on a kids show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Have I read on another thread that there has been any action by "we magicians" to stop you tube exposure and or Magic instructional DVD uploads on bearshare and lime wire?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I hope they follow thru and really take action on this. Where did you read about it cinemagician?

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
aiki
View Profile
Regular user
Middletown NY
181 Posts

Profile of aiki
Pete,

Are you sure it is Penguin that put the video up or is it someone who up loaded part of Penguins teaching DVDs? There was some talk in the past where Penguin was contacting youtube and having their copy righted work taken off.
Ray K.

Till we meet again!
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Rannie, I worded my response strangely- I meant Has there been any attempt to stop this? Not just for the "exposure" but for those losing money due to people uploading vids.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
The Penguin video was put there by someone else, it's one of their instructional downloads for after you buy the trick.

In an age of impatience and cost-cutting, when even the manual for my new laptop had to be downloaded from HP's website, we can expect more of this.

I still buy my magic DVDs legally (tomorrow I'll receive a package from tiendamagia.com containing a Roth video, for example), but I could list over two dozen popular magic videos you could download in a single day alongside the latest episode of Prison Break and an exe for Microsoft Office 2007. I don't give a hoot what happens to Microsoft as a result, but I can't imagine what long-term effect this will have on the Magic profession.

With a bit of luck, You Tube and the Torrent system will become so saturated with possible downloads of all kinds that the overall damage to the field will be less than we expect. It might take another 5 years to reach that stage, though.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Wow I'm stunned, I had know idea this was going on until I joined the Café.
Really don't see the point in uploading a magic DVD or exposure video to the Internet. Seems like some people have to much time on their hands.
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
It's partly a competetive thing on You Tube, with people trying to get more "hits" on their videos than anyone else. With Torrents it's a mixture of factors, including the basic requirement to be uploading stuff if you want to download other people's wares yourself. So Torrent users look through their hard drives for things to upload into the collective pool, which sometimes includes instant downloads from magic sites.

As far as You Tube is concerned, instructional videos would probably work if they bore codenames rather than the names of the tricks themselves. You can only find what you know how to name in the search engine, after all.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Well, for a bit of good news, a good friend of mine has been informing the higher ups at Penguin about some of these guys and they're beginning to step in.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5076/......esi4.jpg
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The volume of videos on YouTube is so large that it's more likely that mostly magicians will be watching these clips. To put things into perspective, any layman could search out methods on the net with Google. If they're trying that hard they may take it up as a hobby.

YouTube forbids copyrighted material. Those instructions are copyrighted and it's pretty easy to notify YouTube that they are breaking the law. They will expunge the videos if copyrighed material is being shown without permission.
under the table
View Profile
New user
Detroit
81 Posts

Profile of under the table
At least people are trying to stop this illegal posting of videos. I know of people who do that bs. There seriously is a TON of big time magic videos on limewire, bearshare, orphious (from what ive heard) and all the other big ones. I don't know if bittorrent or any of the other legit illegal file sharing networks (oxymoron) has magic stuff posted.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Check out:

http://youtube.com/t/dmca_policy

You can file a complaint with YouTube if you are the copyright holder.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
... and only if you're the copyright holder. Unfortunately, you can't just notify them that it is copyrighted material.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
sammhoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of sammhoudini
We've been successfully getting YouTube and other sites to remove copyrighted content. Please feel free to report any copyright violations that you find on YouTube or other sites to us directly. Email links to development@penguinmagic.com.

Thank you!

Sam Blankenship
CEO
Penguin Magic : born to perform
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go for it Sam. It is your demo of Matrix that someone posted.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2006-11-30 13:20, Pete Biro wrote:
Someone sent me a link on You Tube that shows Penguin Exposing Matrix. What is this all about? This is nuts.

Quote:
On 2006-11-30 13:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Pete, it gets better. Supposedly Jay Sankey exposed the trick on a kids show.

I agree. I wonder, though, why no one called Penn & Teller on their exposure of the sub-trunk in their recent underwater TV special? I may be wrong, but I thought that that was blatant exposure with no redeeming value.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
It is a shame some people have such disrespect for the hard work of others. I agree things like this should be stopped, but unfortunately it doesn't look like a very easy thing to accomplish. You may be able to put a stop to it partially, but I doubt it in totality. I guess if you want to keep your magic a secret you must be able to keep a secret.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Penn and Teller were called on it, by quite a few people. I know for a fact that the Territorial VP of the SAM sent a letter to SAM National requesting that they be removed from the organization for public exposure.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wonder what ultimately happened to P&T for their exposure?

Mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I am really mad (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL