We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with ferrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briann
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of briann
Hello, I know this only my second post here, but I need some help. I have a ferret (Cappuccino is her name) and I was wondering if I could use her for magic. She fits in a dove pouch and is quite silent. But one I'm worried about, is that ferret literally means theif in Latin, and she has succsessfully taken my watch off my hand and my car keys out of my pocket. She is a master escape artist and I wouldn't be surprised if she escaped any sort of dove holder/cage. She is very strong and her teeth are as sharp as nails. She can bend the thin metal of a dove cage and could escape mid show. She is very intelligent, she understands several words but is very impolite. What do you think?

Posted: Nov 30, 2006 9:44pm
No one here an expert on ferret, eh? its either that, or I'm extremely impatient
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Briann, Hey!

Ferrets.. Hehe, I have 3 of em and love em to death. I also thought about magic with ferrets, but never really tried anything.. Yours must be very small, because my ferrets would never be able to fit in a dove holder. I guess I just have some porkey ferrets. Anyways, if she fits in that, it's definetly a plus! I think producing a ferret the same way you would a dove would be very creative and original!

You have a few possibilities. You could either put her in the holder, then in the pocket, and produce he from some silks, or do something else like a doves to ferret in a doves to rabbit box. Knowing that your ferret likes to chew though things, I would stay away from the doves to ferret illusion unless you want the inside of the box to get torn to shreds. On the other hand, there could be possibility that the holder could get torn apart too. But I think you should definetly give the appearing ferret effect a chance! And it also helps that they have flexibily spines and will be more comfortable in the holder..

That's about all I could think about now, but I'm sure I can think of more ideas for ya.
Hope this helps,
-Vinnie
briann
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of briann
Thanks Vinnie! And you can call me Brian. You might remember me from Penguin (bobchuck) if you don't, its okay, it's been a while. And thanks so much for the ideas! (and my dove holders are huge, my ferret isn't small. Shes actually pretty chubby) I'll try doing dove appearances and disappearences with her tomorrow. She's really sleepy right now. And if that doesn't work, I'm sure I could stuff her in a mirror box for a kids show. Smile
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Haha, yes, I remember ya..

Good to hear! Just be carefull with her. Experimenting with animals in magic with no real instruction from any source could be a little dangerous, so just keep your guard up.

Let us all know how it goes!

Best of luck to you and your furry friend! =]
-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Where are you Ricker? This is your topic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you find the ferret will stay calm in the holder, you could then try putting the ferret in the holder into a production box, but I would think it would have to be a short term load so the ferret gets released from all bonds as soon as possible after being loaded. This would suggest an assistant to load the ferret backstage just before delivering the prop to you onstage. I love ferrets... in the pet store. I wish I had the patience to live with one. Good luck!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
briann
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of briann
Hey all! I have some good news, she can fit in my sleeve if she stretches out and lies flat. She fell asleep in there during practice today Smile
Now that I know that, I'm starting to try different tecniques with her, and I realise that if I hold a bandit (you might know what a is bandit is Vinnie) in my hand near the tip of my thumb while I'm fanning cards she come out of my sleeve and puts her front paws on top of the cards, as if to check for predators before she eats. It looks pretty impressive actually! Anything else you guys think I could try?
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Just be careful that the ferret wont 'peek' out before you want to produce it. Ferrets are 'newbie' junkies and a new place that you perform may make her curious.

I've also found that male ferrets are calmer than female ferrets.

Living with one is easy, we let them out during the day and they sleep most of the time. Just make sure you have a liiterbox in the corners of your rooms! LOL
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If she likes being in a sleeve, she might get used to being in a cloth lined tube. That would allow you to use tubes to have her appear almost anyplace on a stage, assuming you have assistants.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
A dove bag would be a nice way to produce her.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Ferrets love anything that looks like a tube. The navy used to use them to run wire in the big ships down the tubes.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Have the ferret in a dove bag. Perform the Torn and Restored Newspaper. When the paper is restored, crumpled it up, not tight, (make the move also) uncrumple it a little revealing the ferret.

I have been using a ferret for a long time. But I use the self-working props. I'm working on a splitting a ferret rountine similiar to Victor and Diamond.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I had to use a ferret for a routine that was meant for ducks, when the butcher sold the last duck in Juneau. It worked great a duck pan, take apart vanish, etc. This was several years ago, but I remember it fondly. Maybe this will help you with ideas?

Dave
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I use ferrets and use several production methods. They are also great in a rabbit wringer. I also apparantly shoot one out of a cannon, I put a little aviators cap on him and man is he cool! The kids love it! They are fun to use!
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
We used ferrets in our summer stage show series at the theme park and they were great. If you have 2 that look the same, you can create miracles! Just find what they like to do naturaly and make that into magic. Here's an example: Our ferrets loved boxes to play in. If we closed the lid for a few, then opened it they would pop right up and look out (so Cute). So we turned that reaction into magic by using a duck bucket switch. Also, they fit great in a take apart box. PM if you need more ideas.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with ferrets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL