The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aerial Fishing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Just checking if anyone own the Aerial Fishing by Owen Magic Supreme for US$495.00?

It is in stock. I would like to get it...but need advice from magicians who own them, e.g, is this the Skull method, how many fishing baits...any telescoping/bamboo fishing pole contains.... How's the quality?

Thanks for any feedback Smile
dove-boy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's not Skull. It's Stull. That's for Robert Stull.

Why do you want to do such a messy, fussy trick?

The Owen method uses a special fishing pole. The Stull method uses a special bowl. The number of baits depends on how many fish you want to catch. You need one per fish. You also need to learn how to make your own baits.

As far as the details of what you get for $495, you probably should ask Owen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Thanks Bill Smile

Yes, I have e-mail to Alan....waiting for a reply Smile

From your expertise, can you advise me which is better & not so messy

? special fishing pole OR special bowl?

Thanks
dove-boy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, you can't get the Stull bowl unless you pay a fortune for it. Stull made the bowls during the 1940's and 1950's. They used a regular, common fishbowl, into which the special insert was placed. However, sometime in the 1960's or so, the dimensions of these bowls changed and the inserts won't fit the newer bowls. It's a matter of about 1/16" of difference.

Special pole is the answer.

P&L made some aquariums that would produce several goldfish at once. These are easy to find. There were a bunch of them made by the new P&L during the late 1970's and early 1980's. The trouble is that they all leak like crazy.

There is a P&L fishbowl for sale on the International Magic Auction right now. This is different from the aquarium. The only problem I see with it is replacing the fishbowl when it breaks. They also have a fishing pole for sale there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Hey guys, I am making the Stull fishbowl. Dan Garrett wrote a review of it in MUM a couple of month;s ago. It is available and every bit as good as the original. Joe, you should have seen it on my website on the Latest News page.

The downside of the pole method is you have to touch the fish during the performance. The Stull method does not cause this to happen. The Stull method was the method Alan Wakleing used and Lee Grabiel just to name a couple.

Look at the information on the webpages or contact me if you need more information. If you do a search on Aerial fishing you will find more information in the Café.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Joe,

I have seen Richard Hughe's magnificent "Stull" style fish bowl. It is definately a beautiful piece and suited for some major league acts. As a matter of fact he should be shipping me one any day now. As far as a messy and fussy trick...while the aerial fishing act may indeed be a bit messy and involve some degree of set-up, the effect is absolutely brilliant. I will be presenting a version of Alan Wakeling's routine, and I am very excited about it. Sometimes many of the best and most baffling illusions require a little bit more work and set up. It is all a matter of preference, but for my money, I love the Richard Hughes fish bowl. Send Richard a PM, and he can answer all your questions.

Your Friend,

Beau Alexander

P.S. He can set you up with everything you need. Not just the bowl, but the pole, baits, etc.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Richard:

I apologize. I didn't realize you were making the Stull bowl again. That is by far the best method. I had an original Stull bowl for a long time, and found that it was an excellent method for doing this routine. It sure beats that @#%@^$$$$ fishing pole method!

Dove-boy, I know Richard, and I know the quality of his work. You can purchase this item from him with confidence, and you can be sure that it will be the best possible solution to the problem.

I just went by his web site. The price he is charging is definitely fair. It's not a complicated piece, but it must be made exactly the right way or it won't fit the bowl and it won't work. The interesting part about the Stull method is that the gimmick is difficult for the people in the audience to see. It kind of vanishes into the natural shape of the fishbowl. This isn't true of the P&L gimmick. And an original Stull gimmick will cost you a LOT more than Richard is charging for these.

BTW, my friend MarcoM told me that if you slice a goldfish just the right way and drop it into water, it looks just like a piece of carrot. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Joe had written me concerning the aerial fishing. I thought my reply to him might be beneficial to members of the Café. Since the Wakeling book is out in paperback, there is a renewed interest in the fishing effect.

"As for the safety of the fish..there is a felt pad in the compartment that is soaked with water before loading the fish. That is the same situation in the pole method. There is now way to keep water in the compartment for them.

When the fish appear in the bowl, they are very visible and magnified somewhat by the bowl. An old pros trick is to add a small light under the bowl. The visibility will depend somewhat how you stage like in a salt pour.

I have never had any trouble with the compartment opening prematurely. It is a positive yet simple release as was the original.

As for the coloring on the fish baits, you can use a permanent marker to add or recolor the "fish".

The complete review of this effect by Dan Garrett can be found on page 82 of the September 2006 MUM."

If anyone has any other questions, I will try my best ot answer them either here or in private email.

Did you know that Lee Grabel did this effect a la Dante as the lazy magician?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
One of Billy McComb's books has some valuable tips about the fish routine, visibility, handling, etc.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Hugmagic could you PM me on this bowl. I'm interested in purchasing one.

Mike
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Alain Nu used to perform this effect back when he did a full-blown musical/pantomime asian illusion act.

I had never seen aerial fishing before, and it was simply beautiful to watch.

I don't know which method he used, but man it seemed like magic to me!

Douglas M.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Alain Nu used a pole (mehod) that was originally owned by Silent Mora. He kept the "bait" in his wife's hat. I have a great photo of them doing it.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Aerial Fishing (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL