The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Christmas Carol by Josh Zandman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I am a huge fan of having a large arsenal of booktests ready to go at any given moment.

It's nice to be able to walk into a chapters bookstore, run into people who know what you do, and breakout an impromptu test.

I agree the reactions are just as strong. I just love to collect tests -- the mechanics of the books, are what makes them collectable to me.

One of my guilty pleasures!
xxx
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 15:50, Jeff Richards wrote:
Skip the iron, use your microwave. No fear of burning pages...

Do you put a glass of water in the Microwave as you nuke the book?
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 15:15, PaulPacific wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 15:50, Jeff Richards wrote:
Skip the iron, use your microwave. No fear of burning pages...

Do you put a glass of water in the Microwave as you nuke the book?

Good question, Paul.

I don't know the answer but, I suspect that whatever you do, you wouldn't want to use Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup as a substitute liquid. (Unless you are multi-tasking and trying to "do" lunch at the same time you are gimmicking your books.)

Mike

P.S. Just got the word that the IBT has arrived at Black's Magic. See the details at http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/. I just got done ordering one for my wife to give me for Christmas (grin).
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I've received mine now.
As said before, the idea is not original, but it is good. And the way it has been disguised is fantastic. To have a gimmicked book which is totally examinable is a real plus.

However - I have one major reservation. The team have clearly been at great pains to give the book the look and feel of a real novel. However - the paragraphing of the book is that of a business document, not a novel. By that I mean paragraphs have gaps between them. In novels there are no gaps between paragraphs, instead the first line of a new paragraph is indented.

As a consequence, when anyone who reads novels opens this book, they will smell a rat.

This is such a pity. Particularly when Black's other booktests do not make this mistake.

The first edition of A Dangerous Love had this same problem - to his credit, Nick Morton immediately fixed it.

I'd like to think the same can be done here.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
No glass of water -- just the book...

it has worked this way for me.

But if there is a better mouse trap out there, I'm buying!

What would the glass of water do?
xxx
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:
what would the glass of water do?

According to many microwave user's manuals it states you must never run the machine with nothing in it. They suggest, at the very least, place a glass of water in so the "waves" have somewhere to go, (or something like that... what do I know? I'm just a dice man)
lol
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Paul:

I put a glass of water in there as it keeps the pages from drying out as much.

Tony
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Ah, good tip!
xxx
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Great book test. It's so nice to receive an effect where the description is totally accurate.

Highly recommended
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
... and now ... the GREAT GATSBY!

Title: Great Gatsby Book Test
Creator: Josh Zandman
MSRP: $ 50
Skill Level: All
4.25" x 7" paperback with 274 pages

Here's exactly what happens: Performer riffles through the pages of the book. Participant at any time, says stop and looks at the first word on the page. You know the word without asking a single question or having anything written down.

For over 10 years, many of the world's most talented magicians and mentalists have included Josh's book tests in their paying shows and performances.

Josh's method is also featured in Ted Karmilovich's, Mother of All Book Tests Pocket Edition

External link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-K5RVcx7g
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
The Xmas Carol is cool and I always dig it out every xmas season. No reason not to have the Gatsby one also! And it looks a little more hefty too, so that's good.
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Where can this be purchased?
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I just ordered this, glad to have another Zandman book available since A Christmas Carol has not been available for a while.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On May 2, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
...since A Christmas Carol has not been available for a while.

Weird. Penguin claims to have it in stock right now...
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Hmm, maybe I was mistaken and it's been back for a few years. I'm pretty sure the original was out in 2006 and then was off the market for a while. The currently available version is a second edition.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2006, El Mystico wrote:
I've received mine now.
As said before, the idea is not original, but it is good. And the way it has been disguised is fantastic. To have a gimmicked book which is totally examinable is a real plus.

However - I have one major reservation. The team have clearly been at great pains to give the book the look and feel of a real novel. However - the paragraphing of the book is that of a business document, not a novel. By that I mean paragraphs have gaps between them. In novels there are no gaps between paragraphs, instead the first line of a new paragraph is indented.

As a consequence, when anyone who reads novels opens this book, they will smell a rat.

This is such a pity. Particularly when Black's other booktests do not make this mistake.

The first edition of A Dangerous Love had this same problem - to his credit, Nick Morton immediately fixed it.

I'd like to think the same can be done here.

Couldn’t have said it better. The formatting screams fake book. It certainly would to me the second I opened it, if someone handed such a book to me. I also find it odd that great pains would be taken to make it look authentic and yet overlook such a telltale detail.
It's all in the reflexes.
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
So does anybody know if the second edition of the The Great Gatsby has had the paragraph formatting fixed?
Regards,
Silverthorne
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
In the edition that I received last month, the paragraphs are not indented but there is a space between one paragraph and the next. Indenting might have ben better, but no big deal.

George
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2018, George Hunter wrote:
In the edition that I received last month, the paragraphs are not indented but there is a space between one paragraph and the next. Indenting might have ben better, but no big deal.

George

Yeah mine also has no indents. Sometimes cheap reprints of books no longer covered by copyright (which this purports to be) have this same formatting. I would guess that it has to do with taking the source material from project Gutenberg or similar.

I would prefer indents, but I also am not overly concerned with it. Especially since it's mainly a 'first word on the page' divination. I don't even really let the participant hold the book...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Christmas Carol by Josh Zandman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL