The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Being taken seriously... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Hello,

I've be doing magic since I was a child, but a few years ago I saw a mentalist perform and I wanted to do the same things.

First I looked for his stuff but he didn't publish anything. So I started to buy some mentalism books, from general (Corinda) to more specific (contact mind reading). And also metal bending, and other tricks (Time Machine etc)

Still, when I perform mentalism, the effects work well but people still think about tricks, even if they don't know me and I never performed magic for them! Those people have NO IDEA I am a magician: they are amazed but they still think and talk about magic tricks.

That's very disappointing, what am I doing wrong? Or perhaps it's because I am too young, or because I'm a lady, and I should stick to magic?

Thank you for your indications! And if you have mental effects to suggest that play "real", then thank you for these too!

Rebecca
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
I believe, if YOU beleive what you are doing is REAL - so will the audience.

If you FEEL amazed, so will they.

( If they still don't, check they have a pulse ! ).

Best, Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Three words: context, context, and context. How you present and introduce yourself, and how you set up what you're about to do, are extremely important. Use the time before you begin your first effect to establish what it is that you do and engage people on the level you want them to be at. If you can do that successfully, you can make a simple card force look like a miracle.

Obviously I've never seen you perform, but since you say you've been doing magic your whole life, it's possible that you've developed certain unconscious habits and mannerisms that broadcast "magic trick." It might be worthwhile to video yourself performing and watch it back, to see if you notice any such things that you didn't know were there.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3399 Posts

Profile of Looch
Rebecca, I know traditionally your not supposed to ask a lady her age. but it would certainly help us help you if that makes sense? from your avatar and I appreciate its hard to tell but you appear quite young. This unfortunately will make it even harder to be taken seriously, add to the fact that you are female, then you seriosuly have a challenge on your hands...i say use it to your advantage. However another question to you, is HOW do you want to be percieved? what is your story? are you Psychic? Are you a body language expert? (the latter will be even more difficult to be accepted due to your age and percieved lack of experience?)

You may also want to chat with another female performer who is a member of this forum, her name is Annabelle or Anabelle and I believe she is from the florida area. I am sure she will be able to offer some great advice from the female perspective.

I would also recommend you to buy a book by Drew Mcadam called "Making Money from Magic" This really does help develop your character and select your effects which will ensure you are taken more seriously.

all the best
Looch
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I would suggest becoming a man.
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2006-12-02 08:40, salsa_dancer wrote:
I would suggest becoming a man.

The future of humor.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
enigmax
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
115 Posts

Profile of enigmax
You might check out The Shiels Effect, by Tony "Doc" Shiels. He has some very interesting things to say about female psychics. It all depends on how far you are willing to go in pursuit of the role.

Max
"To be on the wire is life, the rest is waiting"
Karl Wallenda
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Salsa, I know you were saying that tongue in cheek, at least partially, there MAY be merit in that comment BUT, I think that a woman in mentalism would have a natural IN.... I think #1. Age I think plays a bigger factor than gender sometimes.... but then what about lu Lu Hurst? Rebecca, you have to work on your character- come up with a back story- how did you get where you are.

Look at your material... are you doing Mental Magic, Mentalism or Psychic Entertainment- They are very different, and will by nature, carry varying levels of "realness" in the eyes of the audience.

What are you TELLING your audience? In other words, do you just DO these things, or do you offer them some framework for what you do? Call it NLP, psychic ability, mind reading, bio-sensitivity, inter-conductive reasoning, hypno-tisnt, or whatever you care to call it- but offer some framework.

Develop a good back story- are you a researcher, 7th daughter of a 7th daughter, modern witch, born to a family of genii's, missing your conscious mind and therefore have no barrier to thoughts??? Share these things with the audience, and you will find greater credibility- even if the "reason" is somewhat IN-credible.

Looch's point about age is valid. The same goes for the venu in which you perform (Kids party V/s Corporate fundrasier), the way you dress, elloquence, attitude, body language etc.... All of these will add to your believability or lack therof.

Mentalism/pshycic entertainment require a totally different type of presentation than does magic.... If you have never dabbled in bizarre magic, you may wish to explore that- or join a story telling group- either of these will help you focus on the presentation more.

Hope that helps!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
A woman can use natural intuition within her presentation and get away with it. I do think that for a woman to be taken seriously in this kind of setting then she often has to be a little bit kooky or weird, or previously a man.

You stated in another thread that you wouldn't be a fan of practising a lot as it would take the fun out of it. I think you should re-evaluate that.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I would re-evaluate that as well~~~!!!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
All performers are actors or actresses as in a play. When my mother would see
someone in a scary situation in a movie she would cringe in fear. Even as a child I would remind her that they (the actors) were only pretending. Nevertheless, that indicates that the performers were convincing. Performance is everything. As you learned in magic, some magicians can take the simplest effect and make a big production out of it. Go and do likewise.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
I'd have to agree that a female has a natural advantage in performing mentalism effects, because the female has long been associated with 'healing' and 'intuitive' powers throughout history. Develop a personal history for your witchiness, as leaping lizard suggests.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
I think you could use your being a young woman to great advantage. Rather than trying to assume the persona of a traditional mentalist, why not present yourself as a sort of innocently naive prodigy, with natural abilities that you don't quite understand and can't explain. Perhaps it would work to have someone else introduce you and give the background about the "true story" of your gifts. Then, build your act around demonstrations of those gifts. In short, use your youth and gender as strengths rather than try to comp-ensate for them. It's kind of an old-fashioned idea -- you might want to do some research into a teenage girl who performed in the 1920s as "The Georgia Wonder" -- but it could be could be charming and maybe even a little eerie and unsettling, which are good things.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Even in the context of my magic performances, when I present something like Mental Yarn, the audience members treat what they've seen as a feat of mind reading, not as a trick. I suppose it largely depends on how well thought out the presentation is, in relation to the context in which the performance occurs. Suffice it to say, I understand what phenomenon I'm trying to represent to the audience.

I've never had formal training as an actor, I had to learn to be convincing - I suppose you'd call it the school of hard knocks. However, I spend a great deal of time observing actors, magicians, mentalists, comedians and other entertainers, and I an_alyze (something needs to be done about that &*@# censorship program - whoever wrote it should be burned at the stake) how they get the desired effect. Put yourself in the shoes of your audience members and ask yourself under what circumstances would you be taken seriously.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Quote:
Put yourself in the shoes of your audience members and ask yourself under what circumstances would you be taken seriously.

I agree. My suggestion above is just one possible solution. The point is given who you are -- age, gender, size, personality -- how can you can best use your strengths and attributes and how can you present yourself believably. For instance, you probably wouldn't be very convincing with a Max Maven style persona.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You can actually be taken quite seriously. BUT it simply requires far more work on scripting, and blocking. I am not sure if you have the necessary experience in these fields, to accomplish what you would like. Try a theater coach.

See it is about what you are trying to sell the audience. If you want to sell them on years and years and years of practice and patience, well at a young age that is tough.

Scripting and blocking can make almost anything believable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Thanks a lot for all your indications!

Salsadancer, I didn't understand your ironic comment on the training time ("the future of magic"), but I already answered you in that other thread.

Yes I know young age (Looch, I'm 22 now) and being a girl don't help,BUT I'm not pretending to be something I am not. No witches, no psychic, no supernatural powers. I know the Georgia Magnet "superpower" stunts, and don't like them. I talk about psychology, intuition, suggestion, persuasion,body language: those things are real ( that's what they teach me at university now!). And people often talk about women having more intuition than men so this made sense to me.

Still I am not taken seriously, for example even if I do contact mind reading for my friends, which is real body language,they still think about magic tricks! And I'm not even lying about the method!I cannot believe this.

I have been doing magic since my childhood so as Quinn said maybe my manners convey "magic"... this would be a very big problem because I don't realize it and can't do anything about it. This is very frustrating because I am more interested in mentalism than magic now.

Anyway thank you again for all your indications and references!

Bye

Rebecca
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See now 22 isn't that young at all.
With proper dress and demenour and with correct charector development, indeed you can do it.

I would leave out intuition though. Just because it gets eye rolls from many men.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
I have the same problem when doing mind-reading stuff for friends and family: they know I've been a magician for many years, so they think it's some kind of trick (although a good one!). I can only pull off mentalism effects with people who don't know me.

Since you do study psychology at U.B.C., maybe tell them you are doing psychological tricks with their minds, rather than reading their minds.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-12-02 05:48, Quinn wrote:
Three words: context, context, and context. How you present and introduce yourself, and how you set up what you're about to do, are extremely important. Use the time before you begin your first effect to establish what it is that you do and engage people on the level you want them to be at. If you can do that successfully, you can make a simple card force look like a miracle.

Obviously I've never seen you perform, but since you say you've been doing magic your whole life, it's possible that you've developed certain unconscious habits and mannerisms that broadcast "magic trick." It might be worthwhile to video yourself performing and watch it back, to see if you notice any such things that you didn't know were there.

Listen to Quinn!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Being taken seriously... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL