The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Being taken seriously... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
I am reticent to say too much to a person I do not know and have never seen their "act".

But - first I recommend you see "The Prestige." Note the part about Chung Ling Soo -- and references to his approach to the craft. This they have correct.

Second - remember coming from magic to mentalism CAN be a handicap. A magician's frame is "look at me and what I did" while a mentalist's frame is "look at what you perceived happened that is part of your powers (the audience's) of the mind. The focus is on the spectator -- not you. This is a very delicate and hard character to play -- and applause is not cued (or received) in the same manner as a magician.

Third - respect - remember most women have intuition well beyond mere mortal males. (Ask any man who had a mother with eyes in the back of her head and hearing plowers that surpassed that of any super hero.
(Maybe it was a particularly odd aunt (or other relative) who practiced these arcane and occult powers who taught you these things as you came of age.

Or another approach is to read (not watch the movies) the X-Men graphic novels and books -- for undiscovered powers and training them. (Untrained and newly discovered powers offer some great "outs.")

One you have a character you are comfortable with - that character can demand respect for what and who they are -- particularly when demonstrating the craft.

If you wish to correspond on this - please PM me.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Hello,
I hope this can help you

First, I believe you are just working for intelligent people.
90% of the spectators watch mentalism like some kind of wonderfull magic tricks and...perhaps...something more.
It's just because you are performind stunts like magicians do, if you were a real psychic perhaps ypur workwould be another.

Second people arround you knows you they know you like magic, magicians, they have see you in bad mood, even in pijama.

Third, Mentalism needs a little of madurity that you will be getting with time is also necessary.
Who you will get more credit for be able to read minds, a 20 years old guy or a 50 years with grey hair man?...with women perhaps is a little different becaus poltergeist, involuntary mendium powers are related with young women.

Fourth, in my modest opinion,look how entertain them.Try to make it as bunveelieable as possible as real as possible (creating atmosphere, acting good) but the goal is not make them believe, is just entertain them making feel the impossible.

Best,
Darío
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Danny it's pretty simple idea your mind controls everything you do and think. Peoples minds drift in and out from thought to thought. If you had a clear picture of everything a person was thinking it would make much more sense for you to just verbalize everything they were thinking instead of... "Concentrate on the word you are thinking of"
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 16:39, Rebecca Travis wrote:

Yes I know young age (Looch, I'm 22 now) and being a girl don't help,

Rebecca

for starters age and gender have no bearing.

I feel your are defeating yourself by saying one your 22 and two your a girl.

You walk on stage and these 2 things are on your mind-----and they should not be on your mind.

Lets look at it from another angle

I'm a man, I'm fat, balding and 29 - I have bad skin, yello teeth from smoking and I bite my finger nails and the skin arounf my nails- I also have bad eye site but I do wear contacts.

None of this is on my mind when I am performing

Confidence and knowing my material is important.
For years I have been a magician and I still do a healthy amount of strolling/close up magic.

My stage show is Mentalism and they take me seriously----at the same time I'm not all that serious when I am performing- I'm being me, sarcastic and dry sence of humor throughout the performance.

I don't try and be a character I am me because I am comfortable with myself----You have to beome comfortable with your self. and honestly there are not many women doing magic mentalism (yes their are some) but the market is huge for you.

Performing for friends who have known you as a magician >>>They will always think you are a magician knowmatter if you really could bend spoons with your mind

Get rid of the self doubts and self defeating attitude, learn about yourself and get comfortable with it, and practice and reherse your material.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
This is something I have been toying with for a long time and, now finally people are really beginning to take me seriously...hence one reason I changed my name here on the Café.

The major thing I chnaged was not to eliminate card tricks, it was not that I should only do things that appear real or even things that are more subtle. Something far easier. To make others take you more seriously, you need to stop taking yourself too seriously.

It is difficult to comprehend that people will laugh, they will make 'comments' about you. People take the p*** out of things they don't understand. Now I used to get mega offended by this and stare at them. The person would walk away and they'd continue to ridicule you behind your back.

However, if you don't take yourself so seriously, you're more like "this stuff is freaky and weird isn't it...haha...lets get a pint and have a laugh about all the posibilities I have with these abilities..." you turn the person's way of thinking. Instead of getting on your guard to protect yourself, simply steer the conversation the way you want it.

I realise this is brief, so I hope it makes sense. I am going to have this as an essay in a future release but wanted to give you the jist. Smile

Ken D
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Absolutely, I think to try to be something that is far too intense brings a certain amount of ridicule - at least, I am talking here mainly about in the UK, I am sure in other parts of the world they will buy into this far more easily.

To be relaxed and self deprecating gives a feeling of something held back - far more powerful than prattling on about your 'powers' and trying to stare intently to make them believe. AS the old adage goes, less is more.

Anyway, off to practice my blindfolded hippity hop rabbits act. Done deathly seriously of course.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 20:34, JeffMac wrote:
Danny it's pretty simple idea your mind controls everything you do and think. Peoples minds drift in and out from thought to thought. If you had a clear picture of everything a person was thinking it would make much more sense for you to just verbalize everything they were thinking instead of... "Concentrate on the word you are thinking of"

uh huh

Magicians have been telling themselvs this for years. People still say "your reading my mind". Listen to people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
It seems to me that the issue you are facing is broader than the performance of mentalism. It has to do with being taken seriously as a person and receiving the respect of others. This much I know from many years of experience. The way we choose to view ourselves is the way others will view us. Out of this flows every interaction of our lives. There has been much discussion about choosing a "persona," etc. I have worked professionally with many excellent, world-class actors. Their ages and styles of performance have ranged the gamut, but one thing has been true of them all. They had self-respect. Out of self-respect comes confidence and out of confidence comes believability. Confidence breeds mystery because so few people have it. It is not a search for a performing "persona." It is a search for who you are. Strange to say, that discovery is most often made in suffering. And time brings that to us all. What we do with it is up to us. Most mentalists are concerned with impressing people with their abilities. Fine enough. But if you are searching to have a deeper impact, structure your performance to meet the "needs of the heart."
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 21:11, icentertainment wrote:
I don't try and be a character I am me because I am comfortable with myself----

And all this time we thought you were trying to be Joel Bauer

bb
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Quote:
On 2006-12-09 01:30, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 21:11, icentertainment wrote:
I don't try and be a character I am me because I am comfortable with myself----

And all this time we thought you were trying to be Joel Bauer

bb

We???
who's "we" -- I don't even know who you are

Joel has more hair than I do and gets paid more.

I see Joel as something to inspire to, but I like my sense of humor more than his
enigmax
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
115 Posts

Profile of enigmax
Quote:
Well I guess I’ll have to take acting courses as well...

This is something I would suggest for everyone in any performing art. When you have a show ready, get a theatre director (if possible, someone who doesn't know the deceptive practices involved) to watch and comment. An objective eye is invaluable. This pertains whether you are doing a 7 minute routine, an after dinner act or a full evening show.

Be prepared to listen to the criticism and not get defensive.

Max
"To be on the wire is life, the rest is waiting"
Karl Wallenda
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi Rebecca,

Quote:
On 2006-12-05 04:58, Rebecca Travis wrote:

I will have to try it on somebody who doesn’t know me, to see the reactions. My friends think about "tricks" because they know I’m a magician. I didn’t try it on paying audience yet because I can’t make it work 100% (I mean it works 100% with some friends, and never with others, no matter what I do).

Rebecca

You're absolutely right.
Whether performing magic or mentalism for people who know you it's not really possible to convince them that what you do is anything but tricks.
Really. Where would such gifts have suddenly come from??
Maybe an experience that changed your character and the way your mind works?

It's easier to act out a character with those who don't know you.
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
Mr. Ken Dyne, Kennedy...
You just made my day.
Greets,
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Well thanks a lot for all your comments!

Quote:
On 2006-12-06 10:11, Dario wrote:
Hello,
I hope this can help you
First, I believe you are just working for intelligent people.

That's what I believed too when I started performing some years ago,but now I'm not sure anymore Smile

icentertainment,you said "I feel your are defeating yourself by saying one your 22 and two your a girl. "... you know there's not much I can do about it, even if I pretended in my mind to be a 50-year man, the audience would still see me as I am?

Anyway Yes I realize now that my friends will NEVER take me seriously, I could even fly in the air for real and they would say "nice trick". But I don't care, my target are paying audiences now!

Thanks again for everything, I'll looking for acting courses anyway...

Bye

Rebecca
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Hi Rebecca...I was reading your thread about people taking your "mental powers" seriously. In it you say you will not be someone you are not. You do not have to in order to create your character. Every performer has a character whether they know it or not. Many times a performer's character is an exaggeration of his or her self. Take me for instance...look at my avatar. I play the dark, creepy guy. In "real-life" I am a dark, creepy guy, but not to the extent that my character is. My character is an exaggeration of myself. I have even changed my name from David Eldridge to David Devlin for a more creepy dramatic effect. Now I differ from many performers as I am "always on". When I am outside my home I am always in character. This is a choice that I have made because after people have seen my show I do not want them seeing me in public and say, "Oh there is the guy we saw the other night...ohhhhhh he was just PRETENDING!" Seeing me out of character would destroy the illusion that I worked so hard to create.

That brings me to a similar topic. That is the act of making claims or making disclaimers. The easy way to get around those is to make neither. Do not say, "Oh it is just a trick...I am using the 5 senses to create the illusion of a 6th (that tends to be a favorite among mentalists)." Likewise, do not say, "I have special powers", or anything like that. Let the audience choose for themselves. For example...When I am brooding in Barnes and Noble sitting in the "New Age" section reading some "psychic" book, and someone asks me to "do something", I might use a loop of invisible thread to make some object move a little bit. I do not say, "here is a neat trick" and I do not say, "Look at my amazing powers". I say nothing (other than the patter). Now, people will think one of two things. They will either think "He had a string" or they will think "that was real". Either way, I have not lied, I have not pretended to be something I am not. I let them choose what they want to believe. And do not worry as to which they choose. Smile
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
8 years later is some time, but I would suggest looking up Noora Karma.
geraldbelton
View Profile
New user
Durham, NC
63 Posts

Profile of geraldbelton
Holy Thread-bump, Batman! Is Rebecca even still in the Magic Café?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Well, she has not posted here in 7 years...
psychomind
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of psychomind
Its weird seeing a old thread come up suddenly, any way hope she is alright.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Isn't this the young lady that wrote Mind Fluff? I remember there being good talk of it.

Matthew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Being taken seriously... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL