The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Magic of Japan + Five Times Five Japan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I have always been fascinated by Japanese magic when I first started out in this art. During that time, I remember myself purchasing all kinds of Tenyo effects, one of the most notable being a dice effect where after a shake, the dices arrange themselves into the same number the spectator randomly selected. Since then, I started to read magic textbooks regarding western magic and thus my connection with Japanese magic had slowly diminished. After I got Five Times Five Japan and New Magic of Japan, I feel that my close connection with Japanese magic that I had years ago is restored. Also, the emergence of Cyril in the magic scene in Japan not only made me more hooked into magic, but hooked with the magic that deals with Japan.

Some of the items I enjoyed best are “Burnt Out,” “The Linking Cardboard,” “New Era Moving Pips,” “Joker Takes a Ride,” and “The Flowing Pips,” which all are good representations of Japanese magic. Despite the fact that numerous items from both books need gimmicks, all the effects are brilliant in that they show Japanese’s creative way of thinking and unique way of approaches. Their magic is easy to follow and straight to the point; to a degree that the spectators would be able to follow what’s going on without patter - though I am not suggesting that these tricks should be done without it.

Making these videos took a long time, not necessarily with the moves or rehearsal, but rather than the actual construction time for gimmicks that most of the effects require. Though the construction time is tedious, the strong effects they create really compensate for all that time I’ve devoted. This video is not only dedicated for my love for Japanese magic, but more importantly for those people who give up easily when they come across something difficult. As in life, if everybody perseveres, they will eventually get paid back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvhdVPHO88

Best,
msc455magic
(Due to the time limitation on youtube, (10 min max) I needed to omit some items)
Here are their links
1.) Card Quake - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGy7P80BVp4
2.) Double Shock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doXOtfqXSM8

*Remember to turn on your speakers*
Deluzion
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Deluzion
Finally.. Just like you did with By Forces Unseen materials..

I enjoy them very much!
Deluzion
sunnybunny
View Profile
New user
Japan
7 Posts

Profile of sunnybunny
Great work Charles! Im very happy that you hooked on to some Japanese magic. I also find many of the tricks you performed very practical.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
First of all, thanks for the great comments!

Nice to see you posting on the Café Sunny! You were one of my inspirations to keep me working on the materials from these two wonderful books.

Best,
msc455magic
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Charles, I had the pleasure of editing both of these wonderful books and it does my heart good to see you performing the effects with such grace.

Matt Field
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Really great job. It's great to see these effects performed so skillfully. I think most magicians get tired of seeing the same old stuff. Your videos, however, are refreshing as they showcase magic that is a little out of the norm. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Wonderful. Sad to see how great some of the stuff I've overlooked for so many years actually looks.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey, where can one find those 2 gems? I've been looking but to no avail

SPEED
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Very nice, Double shock and quake struck my fantasy.
Magic is a vanishing art.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 21:30, SPEEDcuber wrote:
Hey, where can one find those 2 gems? I've been looking but to no avail

SPEED

New Magic of Japan
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I think he meant where can he find those two books.
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
Nicely done.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 23:48, Magicsquared wrote:
I think he meant where can he find those two books.

Oops! My bad... as I am pretty sure that these two titles are out of print at the moment, I would be guessing that they are harder to obtain nowadays. However(!)... search around ebay, and if you are lucky, you can possibly get them there.

Best wishes,
msc455magic
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Very nice video and of course very nice effects. My compliments!
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
You can still get these books, brand new from here http://www.magic-books.co.uk
They have 12 copies left out of 150 of Magic Of Japan, and 18 copies of Five Times Five Japan. Just ordered both.

Shoot them an e-mail to check for stock, these won't last long!!!

Regards,

Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Has anybody established if these books are in English or Japanese?

Plus, I did not find them worded as above. I did see New Magic of Japan, and Five Times Five.

I guess it is best to email them.

Thanks
Phil
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Sorry, you are correct with the titles. Also they are in English(from what I have been told)I also believe they were translated by R.Kaufman. Also make sure that if you order five time five, that you get five time five Japan not Scotland.
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Thanks for making it. I like the tricks .I like the music too.
Kelvin Cheung
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Kelvin Cheung
Charles, I highly appreciate your hard work! And you took action to tell me that magic from old days (not really "old", just 1988 Smile) can always work as long as they are fresh to people! I just got "By Forces Unseen" some days ago and I don't think I have time to afford practising things in these two superb Japanese books, but once heard they are out of print (really?!) I think I have to get them to inspire myself!

And by the way having heard that you are a very young gentleman, I am even motivated to brush up myself (I'm 20, HK guy)!!

Nice job and well done!
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Just got five times five (Japan). This book is worth its weight in gold.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Magic of Japan + Five Times Five Japan (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL