We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Silent Treatment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Tim,

Great ideas! I like that idea a lot. I haven't recorded the Vanishing Bandana audio yet. I have a friend from Great Britain and we thought it would be cool to record a more personalized version that fits me a little better, one that takes advantage of my baldness, etc. I found a VERY easy way to do it if anyone wants to record their own version. There is a free audio recording program called "Audacity." If you go to download.com and search for it, you'll find it. It is very easy to use. All you need is a microphone, and I suppose a CD burner if you wanted to make a CD.

You can add background music if you want, different effects like speeding up the audio like a chipmunk, slowing it down. Imagine that! The magician says "Would you say that again?" Then, the voice says "Taaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkee thhhhhhhhheeeee baaaandddaaaannnnnaaa..." You get the picture Smile

On a side note, I saw the ad for your pre-show CD in Genii. As soon as I get some extra cash, I'm going to pick it up. It looks awesome!

Thanks again for the comments guys! I really appreciate it.

Eric
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1095 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Hey Eric,

Very cool. I'm still confused about your recording.

I bought two of them...the one everyone seems to have, and the one from FAB magic. I don't think either of them was the female voice that you have.

I hired a George Bush impersonator to do the bandanna routine with me, and it goes over great.
It is not political either way, so all audiences get into it.

I used to use Audacity, and that is a great program. Now that I have a Mac, I do everything in Garageband.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
When working in Spain at the House Of Illusion, (for British audiences) Wayne got a spectator to read the cards out to the audience over the microphone. Some of the lines had room for adlibs and comic touches, one person doing the reading, the other person picking the card. Didn't have too much trouble with it!
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Very cool!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I'll have to check out audacity...did you use power point for your silent treatment slides?
Frank
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 17:28, squando wrote:
I'll have to check out audacity...did you use power point for your silent treatment slides?

Yep, just PowerPoint for the slides. I performed this again Saturday night with the added "wedgie" slides that were suggested and once again, it went over very well. I'll try to get a clip up in the next day or two.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Looking forward to it eric!
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Here's the link. If you don't want to watch the entire intro, you can skip through to about 12 minutes in. The camera work isn't the best, but it was free Smile

http://216.11.32.80/part1.wmv
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Eric:

Keep performing. Do you have the same person changing the slides or does it vary?

I am not very tech savvy. Can the performer change the slides to control the timing?

Frank
Frank
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 13:36, squando wrote:
Do you have the same person changing the slides or does it vary? I am not very tech savvy. Can the performer change the slides to control the timing?

Hey Frank,

Unfortunately, the few times I've performed it I've had someone different. That's why you've noticed the timing off a little bit. The performer could control the slides by using a wireless mouse. The only downside of that is you would have a small remote control device in your hand, which would make it tough to handle a deck of cards. The other option in PowerPoint is you can set it up to be automatically timed. The problem with that is if something were to go wrong (spectator drops the cards, etc.) the slides will continue to go on whether you're ready or not.

Let me know if you decide to do something similar and I'd be glad to give any tips I can. Thanks for the kind words!

Eric
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Eric, this is REAL nice ! Congratulations... Do you incorporate magic in your lessons as well ?
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 15:00, Ringo wrote:
Eric, this is REAL nice ! Congratulations... Do you incorporate magic in your lessons as well ?

Not so much in my lessons, but I do a lot of magic for my students. Anytime there's an extra few minutes in class, I'm performing something for the students. I never really thought about using magic to reinforce a lesson. I'll have to think on that. Thanks for the idea and thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it!

Eric
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Eric,

I noticed that timing would be great if you had more control. I'd love to do this but worry about the tech stuff. I really would worry to much. If something goes wrong then you have your mouth duct taped and no outs. I worry too much about tech failure. Software freezing...plug getting kicked. It is irrational, but...

I try to put my fears behind me...

Okay, the wireless mouse might work with the exception of the card force moments...then you could turn it over to the tech assistant. Another idea is too have a signal or signaling device for the tech person. Or both. I am thinking out loud, but could a signaling device be operated by a switch on the belt or even by the toe.

Controling th timing would be awesome.

Frank
Frank
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
THe idea is great, I liked the video it was very entretaining.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1095 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I did a version of this last night with a couple of my own twists and it went great.

What a fun opener.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Mine's for sale if anyone wants to PM me....
xxx
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 00:31, Tim Hannig wrote:
I did a version of this last night with a couple of my own twists and it went great.

Hey Tim,

I'm curious to know what changes you made. I'm always looking to improve this routine. I'd love to hear what improvements you made.

Eric
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Yeah Tim,

What were your twists?

Frank

PS I have prepared a performance...my twists are to change some of the "spectator's" thoughts. The first thought is to establish the change in voice...making it clear to the reader that this is the spec's thought bubble..."I am having second thoughts about volunteering." Since I am bald the second thought is "I am wondering if inhaling duct tape fumes causes baldness." And the third I will try to make sight/performance specific. I have yet to perform, but I am getting over my tech fears.
Frank
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I added a twist. I use a torn corner principal and vanish the selected card...then the revealed card is the match in my mouth.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Silent Treatment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL