The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ever have one of those nights? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well, it was one of those nights. Quite strange.

I pride myself on being pretty good at what I do. I really do, believe it or not. Being at it for 20 years, well, little is of a surprise to me to tell the truth.

Tonight was one of those nights. Not bad really, but just weird. Almost as if it was just beyond my control. Kind of a strange feeling.

Well, to start out, I do a different induction process than 99% of working pros. Just something I developed, which works great.

That being said, we had to move the show to a smaller venue so conditions were less than optimal. No biggie. Got volunteers. Had a crowd willing to shut up. So I am doing the first routine, and all respond fantastic. Then 2 of them do not go back under during the re-induction, but STILL RESPOND to the suggestions given. Then, they start going down for the re-inductions. Very weird.

Obviously on some level, the problem was me. It had to be. Sorry for the rant. It is just humbling when you remember from time to time just how far out of our control our profession really is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Read "Art of Imagination" by Enrique Enriquez........hope you find an idea and solution if you experience "ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS" again!
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Danny,
I had one of those nights about 2 years ago, same thing happened to me. I share in your feeling.
If it helps, think of the hundreds/thousands of great shows you have done, then smile. Then, scratch your head again and wonder why these things happen....that's what I did.

Actually, I learnt that one girl onstage was a magician's girlfriend that he had "sent up" to play along and mess with me. I wear an earpiece every show and am in constant communication with my team. They told me she was messing about, and I waited too long to give her the boot...2 people on either side of her were the ones that did not respond normally. I think that her energy and actions effected the experience of the other 2.

Only takes one bad apple....

Onward and upward, Danny!
best,
Gerard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh, it's not the end of the world or anything. Just that sometimes things happen, and it is quite strange when they do.

I wrote it because lots of times we see new people looking to learn, and sometimes those of us at it forever come off as if we have nothing to learn. As it works out, I, at least for one, will apparently be learning for quite some time.

Even doing 5 shows a week, things creep in after 20 years you may or may not like or expect!

Posted: Dec 6, 2006 1:35pm
Oh, Lord, and THANK you guys for your responses. Man, my manners can use some work! Thank you for taking the time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3590 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
If that's the worst that's happened to you this season, count yourself very lucky, Danny!

Next time you see Eugene Burger, ask him about the show WE did at the top of the John Hancock Center... talk about a "hypnotist's ****...!"

Lee Darrow
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee, I know you are a worker, and a busy one. I KNOW YOU have one of those nights every so often. THAT IS NOT A KNOCK, BUT A COMPLIMENT. I mean by it that the numbers catch up with you eventually. You work enough to have those numbers hit you.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Lee, Danny:

I know the answer to having a perfect show each night. Never fails, everyone on stage will do exactly what you want them to do.

It is in the Dr. Q book. I refer to it as the "stagehand with a shotgun" method. Let me know if you want to pursue this and need more information.

Lee, being from Chicago, I would have thought you would have stumbled across this years ago. Rumor has it, this is how Jerry Valley got started here in the Boston area.

Tony
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tony, the Dr. Q can backfire on you HUGE.
I saw it happen to a guy where the volunteer says, "What do you mean don't let go of your hand? I'm not hypnotised."

Funny, I just got a PM from a guy who never had a bad night in his life because he is a perfectionist. Interesting concept. I would like to know how many of those we have on the Café.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Danny, you're missing the "Q" reference. I'm talking about the college show where the stagehand pointed the shotgun at the people onstage and said do what he says. They did!

:gunfighter: Smile

I'm not seriously saying that anyone should really try it, but it was an interesting read! Alexander's Dr. Q book, not the discussion of the Dr. Q act in a different book.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sorry, I thought you meant the Dr. Q act.

Didn't know it was a joke.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Ahhh -- those nights! We swear they'll never happen. A combination of quicksand (where you keep sinking deeper and deeper because your fumbling more and more) and flop sweat (if you don't know this, you've NEVER performed).

There are 2 great things about those nights:

1) We learn what to do to make sure that SAME thing never happens again.

2) We have stories to swap at the bar.

Sure it is a 100 to 1 ratio now, but I could still do without the 1!
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
996 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Danny, I like to think that we always have a good night, but on occasion have a bad group of volunteers. After all, it is their imagination that we're working with.

Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow, I wish that was the case. Heck, I screwed up the opening lecture the more I think about it.

I wish I was beyond a bad night every so often, but 5 nights a week...yeah, they happen more often than I would like.

Posted: Dec 25, 2006 1:50pm
This may seem off topic but I assure you it isn't.

I am glad that when I have one of "those nights" it isn't life threatening.

I am in Mexico, and we get the WWE pay per view here on cable for free. I have no idea if it was recent or not. Here is the point. The whole show, THEY seemed to be having one of "those nights".

4 people I counted took falls that they should NOT have taken. One of which resulted in a ladder actually splitting open his eye SO badly that he was instantly covered in blood. Guys this was NOT fake, it was a mistake. A miscalculation, one of "those nights" for them.

I called one of my friends who is a wrestler, he told me that only 3 of the 4 things I thought were what I thought. Only the one resulted in a guy out of comission for any length of time, the eye thing.

So all in all when I have one of "those nights" I guess I just have to keep it in perspective.

There is nothing in this world so bad, that it can't be just a little bit WORSE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ever have one of those nights? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL