The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Harry Loyrane Memory Book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
I've got a group of teenagers who I'm trying to help memorize some things (Names of books and page numbers of where to find certain refrences).

Does anybody have any suggestions for which of his books would be good for this? Or just a general good beginning book of his?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If it's teenagers in school, then I recommend "Super Memory, Super Student!". It uses the same techniques as "The Memory Book", but focuses on using the techniques in school throughout, and would apply to them more directly.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You could PM him. Harry's a member, and good at replying.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 13:00, docmagik wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions for which of his books would be good for this? Or just a general good beginning book of his?

I know of one that's really good, but I don't remember the title...
:)

Lyndel
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Why are you teaching them anyway? Don't they have Google on their cell phones?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"How To Develop a Super Power Memory" was the one that hooked me. It is the one I would definitely recommend.

After applying what I had learned in the first few chapters, I decided to try it out. I made a grocery list with 17 items on it. After a couple of minutes I could list each item in order, in reverse order, and in any order I wished. Someone could have called out, "What is #3, #14, etc...?" and that would have been no problem at all.

I was in and out of the store much faster than if I had been using my list!
I tried "The Memory Book" (the one Jerry Lucas was credited on), but I never could get through that one.

"Super Memory, Super Student" is all about memorizing with schoolwork in mind, and different chapters tell you how to memorize for differnent kind of subjects (math, history, etc...).

The techniques are simple to learn.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I believe one of his books was titles "Remembering people". Definitely full of good, basic, solid fundamentals in memorizing things. While I don't recall if it's in his book, I know that Dale Carnegie's book "How to win friends and influence people" said that some of the most successful people, including a few presidents, made a habit of repeating or writing down a person's name in order to remember it. The ones who got the most loyal following were the ones who would bother to remember the names of the staff or servants working at the White House.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I used to have a recomendation on this..but I forgot it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
Hey, everybody! Thanks for your help. I have another question for you.

I've got a group of teenagers who I'm trying to help memorize some things (Names of books and page numbers of where to find certain refrences).

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
They're all workable from a beginning point of view.

As an aside, there are also numerous memory techniques taught on the internet, as well.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 20:41, docmagik wrote:

What kinds of things are you trying to help them memorize?

Has anyone suggested How to Develop A Super Power Memory?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Quote:
On 2006-12-08 03:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 20:41, docmagik wrote:

What kinds of things are you trying to help them memorize?

Has anyone suggested How to Develop A Super Power Memory?

I don't know...I forget.
Logic Defied
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Teach them the link method, send them to any one of Mr Lorayne's fine books, and then (only then)
memory.uva.nl/memimprovement/eng/loci.htm
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
These books really work! I just remembered seeing one at Tannen's in the early 60's!

Or was it a book on Thumb Tips...hmmm
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which Harry Loyrane Memory Book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL