The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hoping to start... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Hello, I am 21 years old and have been doing magic for just over 4 years, but have performance experience beyond just magic. Anyways, I am looking into trying out busking. I am currently working on putting my routine together and would appreciate any feedback on things that you believe won't work or things I need to add.

My ideas right now are:
*Flip's Ring and Rope routine
*Greg Wilson's Point Blank (not sure if this will play big enough, but the blank cards might make it easier)
*a cups and balls routine(based on Gazzo, Ammar, and Vernon)
*John Archer's Blindfold routine (hooray for humor and mentalism)
*20th Century Bra
*Perhaps Bisection

Please let me know what you think.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
To start of and learning this trade I would suggest to you:
select 3 tricks.

1) first tricks visual - magical / people have to get to know you.(flips r&r routine)

2) second trick - you can do more with the audience

3) close with a good trick - cups and balls (if you have the book about the cups and balls from Gazzo READ IT!)

4) FORGET EVERYTHING - go and watch street performers. no magicians - watch how the start and communicate with the people - how the keep the tension & get the money.
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART - LEARN HOW YOU GET THE AUDIENCE AND KEEP THEM.
you can have a good show but if you don't know how to get the people and stay with you, you will have problems. I have seen good magicians DIE on the street because they thought they could do it it because they think they are a good magician.

5) HAVE FUN
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Good points robert....
since the nice people only stay and pay if you entertain the heck out of them, you must and I mean must learn how to interact with the audience. Building your edge, gathering a bigger crowd, keeping them and succesful hatting are all things that take work. So much to learn and so little time.

But do not be afraid.... You are probablynot going to have 200 person circle shows to start. Learn how to work small crowds and you will get more comfortable and get better at drawing bigger crowds.

Depending on what and where you plan to work, do some research into essential busker Items. Some of the posts here are invaluable.

Best of luck,

The Seadawg
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Ok. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the help, but I already know that I need to work on drawing crowds and keeping attention. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but I know that needs work.

What I really wanted though was advice on routines and tricks. Any problems or suggestions for my selesction of effects?
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
No problems I see, but do any of those have the "oomph" to be the opener or the closer? I agree that highly visible, non gaff-screaming effects should be in a busking performance. I have no idea why, but Andrew Mayne's Gut-Buster comes to mind. I don't even have it Smile.
swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
I think Point Blank might make a good opener, especially since it plays better the smaller the crowd. Of course my closer would be...cups and balls.

I have Andrew Mayne's Gutbuster, but it is, to me at least, far from suited to busking.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Swingjunkie: If you know how to get them, how to hold them and how to get money in your hat - then your problem of finding the right tricks seems like a thing you can solve by trying. I strongly suggest you do three tricks - no more - no less. I have been doing street performance for some years now and I still do, more or less, three tricks. I have a show that lasts between 15 to 40 minutes.

It has been said before - and it can be said again - it is not the tricks that makes the money - it is you!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
If you understand how to get a crowd and keep them, the choice of tricks becomes evident.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Swing junkie,

The hardest thing about picking the right routines is knowing your character. Would it make sense for your 'guy' to do Ring and rope, 20th century bra (just the silks can be just as funny if you are good. That bra has to REALLY suit your character Smile )and the cups and balls.

Those three tricks alone can be built to a 45 minute show. The beauty is while you are staring out and learning the craft of draw, keep, entertain, and hat, those three tricks can make for a very entertaining 15 minute show as well.

That is the length of time That I would try and start with as it will allow you to focus on the mechanics of the street show until they become second nature as well. A deck of cards or a silk and a thumb tip will also stand you in good stead if you are hiving trouble building and want to work for ones and twos to try and build a crowd.

Experience is the best teacher. If those three tricks suit your character I say just get out there and do it. Those three tricks that you have chosen are all tried and true tricks on the street. If you could think of another closer other than the cups and balls you would not have to bring a table! That is always a big plus. Not to mention you would avoid the trap of being seen like every other table worker that is doing the cups and balls. There are some other great closers out there that need a lot less in the prop department. Smile

But most of all I wish you good luck! It is fun and rewarding, you may find it frustrating when you first try but stick it out! It gets better and is more fun than most people should be allowed to have with their clothes on. Smile

All the best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Well put Danny!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Thanks Danny.
See, I think that having a table around is a good thing though becasue it might help people see that "hey, something is going to happen here, there's a nice table, not just some guy doing magic like David Blaine.

Also, I know the straight jacket is an alternative closer, are there any others you guys can think of right off? I guess really any long, building routine fits huh?

FInally, does anyone use Fiber Optics (or I guess Full Circle is very similar) on the street? if so, how does it play? I'm thinking of buying it, but not if I can't get some good miledge out of it...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Fibre Optics plays very very well. It is a great piece. You can cut and splice the pieces ( pun intended) together and come up with something that is yours.

The props are simple to work with and won't break the bank keeping them clean.

Prep the ends of the rope by using elmers White glue and get good quality rope that feels nice in your hands.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 12:07, swingjunkie wrote:
Thanks Danny.
See, I think that having a table around is a good thing though becasue it might help people see that "hey, something is going to happen here, there's a nice table, not just some guy doing magic like David Blaine.

Agreed. The table "sets the stage" for what's to come. But that doesn't mean you have to stand behind it. Just having it there can be enough.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I used to define my "stage" with a long rope on the ground in a semi circle.
I didn't have a table as I am too lazy to carry one.
It does not make it a bad idea though, just not my style.

Find tricks that are "you". By "you" I don't mean you, I mean the "you" that is the charector you have chosen to perform as. If that happens to be you then so much the easier it will be for you. (Wow where is a grammer expert when I need one)

Stay away from tricks that are others personality. Take basic tricks and make them your own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 12:07, swingjunkie wrote:
Thanks Danny.

A table is a great thing when you are starting out as it gives you a feeling of security and confidence. When you become more confident in your performing character you will be able to command without one. Jugglers, fire eaters, escape artists, as well as some very good magicians (like suspectacts) have such command they do not need one.

I have seen some really excellent magicians that do not use a table and do not come off "Blaine like".

All of that being said, a table isn't a bad idea and will do what you describe just know that YOU might have an even more excellent show without it. Don't be married to any one way, go out and experiment, take your advice from people who make their living doing it and not from guys who have theories and no practical experience. learn by doing and dare to be different. There is no one right way to do it.

Best,

Dan-

Posted: Dec 7, 2006 10:19pm
Dannydoyle just posted pure gold. He's a pro and knows the score.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 22:19, Danny Hustle wrote:
Dannydoyle just posted pure gold. He's a pro and knows the score.

Best,

Dan-

So that's what it is like to not be the center of controversey?

I don't like it!

Thanks Dan it means a lot comming from you. I appreciate it deeply.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I'm no expert at busking, but one thing that got me nervous when I read your initial list:

Danny Archer's Blindfold Routine.

Its a great routine, but at one point, you are going to have some smart@$$ spectator come up to you and do something stupid (take some of your props, money, etc.) Even though you are 'blindfolded' you don't want to suddenly turn and go "HEY, PUT THAT DOWN!" Ok, maybe that would be funny, but it also might destroy the illusion.

Now if you can carry everything on your person (in a satchel) and or have a 'spotter' to help you protect your stuff (your vision is very restricted during those blindfold routines) and you can't be watching everything.

Best of luck

Derek Merdinyan
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
In the perfict world you should have a spotter any way.
for my magic show I use a table to keep props easy to reach and off the ground. and the roap to control the edge and sight lines. My juggling show I still use the roap, but I spred the props out on the ground this makes the the stage bigger. the funny thing is most of the hat line stuff is the the same for both shows. the mechanics of the show I mean. Oh and it would be very funnie to do some mentalism bit that has no need for a blind fold, put on a fake one and play it up. hmm some thing to work on for summer Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Or just carry a case with your props by your feet. While blindfolded, sit on it or something. If they're bold enough to push you over and take the case, well, they'll do that with you watching anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hoping to start... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL