The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monti (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Silly question, but seriously asked: Why are Monti cups called Monti? Is there some history to these cups and their name? Also, is there something special about these cups not found in other cups? Thanks for the help.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
The cups were originally designed by Harry 'Monti' Montieth.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
rudess
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of rudess
May I add another silly question.
What's the difference between Monti cups and Bells of St Marry's cups?
Thanks.
bizjak
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of bizjak
I will defer to Bill as he will know the answer to this better than I but my understnding is that they are thus named after the designer of that style of cup...Harry Montieth.
I believe the Monti cups and the bells are one in the same...although I have been wrong before.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
There have been some special versions of the Monti cups, notably the chromed steel versions known as the 'Bells of St Mary'. There are also some very rare silver/gold sets as well.

Hope that helps.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The "real" Bells of St. Mary's Cups were made of steel and chrome plated. They were named by Earl Reum of Colorado. He was at a convention. He tapped one of them and it rang like a bell. He said, "These sound like the Bells of St. Mary's." The name stuck.

Some of the recent reissues have also been called Bells of St. Mary's, but the originals were the chrome-plated steel Monti cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rudess
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of rudess
Thanks for the answer taliesin and Bill.
Finally I know the difference.
Bells of St. Mary's,what a beatiful name for cups.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are welcome.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You're welcome!
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Yes, thank you, gentlemen. It is great to be able to ask a question and get a repsonse. I appreciate it very much.

Can you tell a little more about Mr. Harry 'Monti' Montieth? I have no knowledge about this magician. When (roughly) did he perform? Is he still alive? Since he designed some pretty popular cups, did he publich a routine?

Thanks again, guys. I do appreciate your knowledge.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Yes, Harry's still around. Although he frequents magic conventions, I don't think he actively performs but I could be wrong. He used to produce a great looking leather Himber wallet as well. I still have mine that I bought from him many years ago. Harry was the SAM President for 1999-2000
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You've got me there - I'll leave that to Bill Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Update: Harry will be performing in the Close Up Gallery of the Magic Castle next week December 11th-17th

Some more information on one of his very Special projects can be found here
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Harry and I run into each other at all sorts of different conventions. He was at the Collector's weekend in Las Vegas last year. I think he went to the Magic Circle Centenary as well.

He's a nice guy and a heck of a sleight of hand worker.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I just picked up a slightly used but apparently mint set of Monti cups in Church Bronze from Jake, and you guys are getting me all flustered talking about them 'cause they're not here yet!

This is my first "real" nice set of cups, I'm looking forward to them.....they're going under the tree to be "from Santa".
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Harry is practically a god here in Saint Louis. He's a really good guy and a terrific close up worker. He also used to do some great stage work, but I don't know if he still does. I even remember him doing a milk can escape back in the early '80s.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I picked up a set of Monti Satin finished cups from Jake too. Still waiting for them to arrive as my gift from "Santa" as well. (hint hint, they're on the way right Jake?) This thread makes me feel like I did the right thing.

All the best,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jake is busting his buns getting cups out! His Monti cups are top notch.

A lot of people think that Paul Fox cups are the most knocked off cups in the world. I think there are more people knocking off the monti cups than the PF cups. There are at least three companies in India that are doing it and selling them through a half dozen or so outlets.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Thanks for the help on this.

Thank you, Dave, for the link to his special project page. I am also a psychologist. I work with one client/organization that provides services to persons with mental retardation (I develop treatment programs for them). I think they will be interested in this.

I'm glad I asked this silly question -- on more than one level.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I just got my Monti's in Church Bronze from Jake .

I couldn't be happier with them than I am. These things are beautiful and I'll not be parting with them while the blood still flows.

They'll go to my daughter when that time comes.
She's my "partner in crime" when it comes to buying magic, and she knows it's the REAL good stuff when she see's me opening mail and hears me say "daddy's been waiting for these honey!".........we had a good time opening the package and unwrapping the cups.
I got some 8" rings from Jake as well, so we were pretty much in heaven for an hour or so this afternoon.

For me, it rarely gets any better than enjoying great magic and beautiful magic props with my daughter.

Thanks Jake.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monti (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL